• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Poll Reveals What Fans' Top Ranking Gundam Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
I think i agree with some of the listing which poll ranked.

But I don't think there was enough people to did voting to actually get a snap shot what people thought. This was strickly Japan polling too, which didn't include international i would imagine.

I'm old school and like the original Gundam series, along with Char's Attacks. However, Gundam Wing was huge when it came out in North America back in the late 90s on Toonanime.

I wish some of these polls were done better with differient websites doing the polling.
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
seem okay list. other than Destiny ofc. though not surprised that it got Top10 consider the popularity
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, the series are pretty much in the standard order, especially the top 3 series of first, z, and seed. Usually the polls are just series so seeing where the movies and ovas fell was interesting. Uc is super new so that is quite possibly being inflated, cca didn't really shock me, but 0083 being that high did.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Lots of UC Gundam makes me happy, 00 in the rankings as well, still don't know why Seed is so high as it's dreadful and Seed Destiny was atrocious (I prefer the decent Astray manga over the main 2 series).
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
G Gundam and War in the Pocket didn't make the list, but 0083 and Destiny did....

Last edited by Wakazhi on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
I love 0083, but I'd have put 0080 before it. No idea why they still love Seed so much, I guess it just struck the right place for Japanese fans, but the only thing I enjoy out of it are the female captains.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
I've only seen original Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Gundam 00 and Gundam Unicorn (up to Episode 5... I think... I can't remember now).

With that in mind, my favorites in order are: Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, Gundam, Gundam Unicorn, Zeta Gundam and Gundam Wing. I also saw one episode of Team 0083 and liked it a lot and would watch the whole thing if I could find it.

Gundam Unicorn is good, but when only one episode comes out per year, you tend to lose the string. Laughing At some point, I'll need to sit down and watch all 7 episodes in a marathon to remember everything and get the full experience.

I'm a fujoshi so you'd think Wing would be higher on my list but I just couldn't get into it for some reason.

And although I love Nobuo Tobita's voice as Kamille in Zeta Gundam, for me Zeta was too harsh. Bright Noa is always hitting everybody and Kamille and the other teens spend each episode in extreme anxiety, arguing and fighting with each other. I'm always surprised when Zeta ranks so high in these polls.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
No 8th MS Team? Me disappoint.
isahackjob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Crazy that of all the series, F91 made it on the list......
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
No 8th MS Team? Me disappoint.

That was number 12.
I checked it because 08MS is the only Gundam that I have ever watched. I did enjoy it, still own it, and plan to watch it again, but it never inspired me to watch more Gundam.
I really do not know why.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Wing tied with Destiny!?!?!? This is an outrage!

What's SEED doing in the top 5 anyway? I thought Wing was miles above it. SEED isn't as bad as bad as people say, but the ending was horrible lol. I can't think about Destiny without getting stressed out either.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
This was strickly Japan polling too, which didn't include international i would imagine.

Why would it be otherwise? Japan's the country these shows originated in afterall Laughing

American fans being able to vote would just skew the poll poorly. Most would just vote for Wing because it's all most people in America watched on TV when they were kids. Most American fans haven't seen more than the ones that aired on American TV so their opinion is pretty limited.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think SEED is pretty good, but SEED Destiny is just godawful and I don't like Wing either. It's kinda boring :/

The rest is OK, but personally I think the original and G Gundam are the absolute best with Turn A and After War following.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I have watched at least a dozen Gundam works in their entirety. My top 5 are:

1. Gundam Z - very complete story with complexities
2. 0083 - not a great story an characters but amazing animation
3. Turn A - a different vibe with great execution
4. 08th MS Team - love the Earth setting
5. Unicorn - great homage to the Gundam franchise
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
F91 actually made it to the top 10? Wow, that movie was rushed to hell. It's definitely one of the worse Gundams I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3