• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comcept Opens 2nd Mighty No. 9 Game Crowdfunding Campaign

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
You know how's about giving us the game you promised first and worry about merchandising later. Somewhere along the lines of common sense??? Is that to much to ask of you mister Inafune???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
You know how's about giving us the game you promised first and worry about merchandising later. Somewhere along the lines of common sense??? Is that to much to ask of you mister Inafune???

How about you learn about marketing and how video games are actually financed?
spinja446

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Cause almost 4 Million dollars isn't enough for a game that looks pretty small compared to large scale block buster games lol
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Why can't Inafune learn about marketing and how video games are actually financed?

Okay, that was a really cheap low blow. I'm not going to apologize, because a) someone had to say it; and b) I really am that damn cynical when it comes to well-established figureheads in any given industry using crowdfunding when it seems like they probably didn't have to. I'm sure it would not have been all that easy for Inafune to develop a new IP and be able to put it out on every viable format right away, but I doubt it would have been that hard to get the game on Steam with nothing more than the tag "From the co-creator of Mega Man!"

Last edited by Space Butler XIII on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Cause almost 4 Million dollars isn't enough for a game that looks pretty small compared to large scale block buster games lol

Gotta agree. Seriously who asked for a dub? I'm pretty sure most of the backers don't care about a dub and just want to play the actual game.

Classic Megaman games really didn't have any voice acting. For nostalgia's sake just stick to on screen text like old classic games. I'm pretty sure most of the backrs who back this project want the closest thing they can get to a classic Megaman game.
spinja446

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
spinja446 wrote:

Gotta agree. Seriously who asked for a dub? I'm pretty sure most of the backers don't care about a dub and just want to play the actual game.

Classic Megaman games really didn't have any voice acting. For nostalgia's sake just stick to on screen text like old classic games. I'm pretty sure most of the backrs who back this project want the closest thing they can get to a classic Megaman game.

Exactly, if you couldn't tell and judging by my avatar I'm a old school Street Fighter fan and All of Capcom Classics that used on screen text were the best anyways, especially Street Fighter. I'm ok without a dub lol
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Of course we are going to have some come in that defends it. Listen Games cost money $$$$ to make I fully realize that. He started off only asking $100,000 dollars. He ended up getting $3.5 million which is roughly 30 times the amount he initially asked for.

Call me stupid but 3.5 million is quite enough to get an indie game off the ground. If Inafune over-reached and spent of all the game production money by hiring to many people on staff or marketing that's his own damn fault.

The main focus should have been on making the game above all else. Mighty No. 9 is not even out yet and he wants to focus on a t.v anime, toys and other merchandise. That's all well and good but wait for the damn game to come out first and move on from there.

You Defend Infuane all you want to go ahead by all means. However this just shows me that supporting games on kick starter is a waste of time and effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234, I think what you've outlined is a result of Inafune being a businessman rather than an artist. I'm sure that the game is well on its way to being made and that it will come out next year as scheduled, and I'm sure he wants to make sure he can make as much money as possible from the game's launch. If he waits until after the game comes out before getting all the other merchandise and tie-ins lined up, would he be able to capitalize on it before the hype dies down?

This goes especially for a TV anime. If he wants the game to have its own show without waiting for a Mighty No. 9, Pt. 2 then now is probably a good time to get that ball rolling.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I remember back in 2007 Keiji Inafune did an interview with someone over on 1up and said he needed $15 million dollars to make Megaman legends 3.

Inafune
Quote:
"If I was able to make a sequel without having to worry about money in any shape or form, I think it probably would be Mega Man Legends 3. And that's not just me -- a lot of the original team members would also love to make a sequel. They talk about it. I talk about it sometimes. I know they love that series and so do I. If I were to say right now, I have a tiny, tiny, tiny dream that I wish I could realize, but I don't know if it's possible, it would be to do a sequel in the Legends series.

The framework that we used for our next-gen titles, creating it was not easy -- it took talented individuals. One was the main programmer on Mega Man Legends. He said, while creating it, he was envisioning how Lost Planet would fit in it, and how Dead Rising would fit, and on top of that, now any time you want to make a Mega Man Legends game with this framework, it's ready. All I need is the go and we can slap Mega Man in there"

Obviously Keiji inafune is a insecure man. He's insecure about wasting that much when he faced a much larger gamble with Dead Rising & Lost Planet, both costing $40 Million each, and they weren't from any established franchise. Inafune will always set one goal then shoot for something more.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who believes a GOOD game (and not a RUSHED game meeting minimum requirements to be a game) can be made for $3.5 Million (which they didn't even get, because Kickstarter takes 10-15% off the top) are deluding yourselves.

Sure, there are good indie game like Braid, FEZ, and Limbo that had really low production costs. Because those games were made by literally 1 or 2 people in their free time who didn't pay themselves while they were working on it.

Comcept and Inti Creates are development houses, people don't work there unless they are getting PAID. 3 million doesn't keep the lights on very long, Especially with a game with 2.5 year development cycle. And that's even with some key staff actually working for free or less the usual.

What people don't seem to grasp is what Kickstarter even IS. I mean, its in the freaking name. Kick Start. Not Fund Entirely. You're not paying money for goods. You are donating start up money, and getting a reward for free. After you donate your money reality sets in I'm afraid.

And the reality is, these game developers need a constant source of funding to keep working on the best product possible. And not ship a half finished unpolished mess in the name of 'fulfilling rewards' because they ran out of cash flow.

They also need to keep a high profile so that their product stays in the minds of consumers and donaters. Nothing does that better then cross platform promotion. Like TV shows, toys, etc... Other Kickstarter projects could be so lucky to have outside interest like that.

Clearly Inafune wants to keep his artistic vision and not have to panhandle to publishers to get more funding. Instead he turns back to the fans who made the project possible in the first place. To maintain transparency and keep fans involved in the process.

I fail to see how any of this is a BAD THING.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Anyone who believes a GOOD game (and not a RUSHED game meeting minimum requirements to be a game) can be made for $3.5 Million (which they didn't even get, because Kickstarter takes 10-15% off the top) are deluding yourselves.

Sure, there are good indie game like Braid, FEZ, and Limbo that had really low production costs. Because those games were made by literally 1 or 2 people in their free time who didn't pay themselves while they were working on it.

Comcept and Inti Creates are development houses, people don't work there unless they are getting PAID. 3 million doesn't keep the lights on very long, Especially with a game with 2.5 year development cycle. And that's even with some key staff actually working for free or less the usual.

What people don't seem to grasp is what Kickstarter even IS. I mean, its in the freaking name. Kick Start. Not Fund Entirely. You're not paying money for goods. You are donating start up money, and getting a reward for free. After you donate your money reality sets in I'm afraid.

And the reality is, these game developers need a constant source of funding to keep working on the best product possible. And not ship a half finished unpolished mess in the name of 'fulfilling rewards' because they ran out of cash flow.

They also need to keep a high profile so that their product stays in the minds of consumers and donaters. Nothing does that better then cross platform promotion. Like TV shows, toys, etc... Other Kickstarter projects could be so lucky to have outside interest like that.

Clearly Inafune wants to keep his artistic vision and not have to panhandle to publishers to get more funding. Instead he turns back to the fans who made the project possible in the first place. To maintain transparency and keep fans involved in the process.

I fail to see how any of this is a BAD THING.

You can still make a great game without a $100,000 dub. Just don't include one. It's not like this game is some huge blockbuster like Call of Duty. This is something optional and probably written on the board long ago. I don't think this is part of Inafune's vision. Maybe kids in this day in age would expect a dub or voice acting but I still bet most of the people that funded this game are old school gamers and don't even care about a dub.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about Dubs (and I'll totally listen to Mighty No.9 subbed if its an option. It better be an option), but some people are really anal about having dubs. So... if you want to cast a larger net, and it only costs $100k... you should probably do it!

Also, don't underestimate this game's mass appeal.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I don't care about Dubs (and I'll totally listen to Mighty No.9 subbed if its an option. It better be an option), but some people are really anal about having dubs. So... if you want to cast a larger net, and it only costs $100k... you should probably do it!

Also, don't underestimate this game's mass appeal.

I'd be ok with something so simple and similar to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4NQsVWsf08&feature=player_detailpage#t=112

Just update and modernize a simple on screen text window with mild character sound effects and gestures and you are good to go.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why can't Inafune learn about marketing and how video games are actually financed?

I believe he does know. In the words of Hideki Kamiya "Keiji Inafune is not a creator, he is a businessman". In that sense he's pretty good considering he already has a TV show and merchandising deal before the game even come out. I think he's well aware how much publicity and money he can get from nostalgic fans who attribute him as Rockman's creator, when in fact all he did was work as an artist on the series. He didn't become a producer on the series until the later spin offs. He's even gone on record stating he's not the creator of Rockman and it was already in the pipeline when he joined Capcom as a graphic artist.

It's also unfortunate to see people like Mr Adventure being so defensive on the project's behalf, denouncing any criticism and not even trying to remain impartial on the issue. This is the issue I personally have with Kickstarter. It gets the fans financially and emotionally invested into the project before it is even out and they can even confirm if they actually like it or not and it was worth their investment. Far too often you get people who defend Kickstarters which either never follow through with their project or just do so very sparingly and slow. Yogscast Adventures, Homestuck Adventures, Tropes VS Women. Just to name a few of the more popular ones which have shirked their responsibilities yet still have tons of people defending them either out of sheer loyalty or in an attempt to avoid admitting they were swindled. Either way, it doesn't help when any criticism on the subject is shot down.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
What else could they be planning if they do end up getting the $100k? There are obviously more goals they want to eventually be able to reveal.

I wonder how many of the 67k+ would want a dub for the game? If they're able to get half of them to donate, that'd be about 3 bucks a head to get a version of the game with a dub.

Not too bad. A lot of DLC content is more expensive, some of those are just costumes.

I didn't end up backing the game...only because the delivery date put me off. Which may sound strange, but most of the stuff I've backed have been comic/manga, where they're after the $ to print their stuff as they are from web series.

I'm more willing to wait for months, rather than years. Laughing

He started off only asking $100,000 dollars. He ended up getting $3.5 million which is roughly 30 times the amount he initially asked for.

Was it initially $100k? I honestly don't remember, but looking at the Kickstarter page for it now, along with ANN's article on the original Kickstarter, I'm seeing $900k.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2