• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Moon Dub Voice Director Writes Tell-All Book

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I'm interested in see what they say.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"...making the English version of Sailor Moon the standard by which all English translations of foreign animations are judged."

Uh...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
So, a white washing of how horrendously butchered Sailor Moon's English version was by somebody who wants to self-fellate.

They should do an audio book version, in case I need to stop and gag and don't want to lose my place. Or, if my metaphor holds, in case the writer needs to stop and gag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wastrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Quote:
"...making the English version of Sailor Moon the standard by which all English translations of foreign animations are judged."

Uh...

Well, all the other translations are judged -- to be better.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So, a white washing of how horrendously butchered Sailor Moon's English version was by somebody who wants to self-fellate.

They should do an audio book version, in case I need to stop and gag and don't want to lose my place.

Have you forgotten that this and other butchered dubs do get approved by the Japanese? Toei Animation arguably might deserve more blame the licensing companies of the Canadian Sailor Moon.

I find it's great that Parliament is willing to address various issues from what he experienced/knows and that he even acknowledges that they might not go with the actual facts.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
There's plenty of blame to go around. I have very few kind things to say about Toei these days, either.

(DB Kai International Version, my ass.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not upset with Parliament being proud of his work. After all, the dub does have its fair share of fans, and without it, many American kids would've never learned of the existence of Sailor Moon in the first place.

But seriously, calling his dub "the standard by which all English translations of foreign animations are judged" is not only laughable and erroneous, but also smacks of pompous arrogance. It's like if Uwe Boll made the boisterous claim that he alone was the reason that all movies in general were good. Rolling Eyes
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Also did a quadruple-take at what will surely become an infamous blurb. In any case, that title goes to FUNi One Piece or Cowboy Bebop.

This guy's looking for a cash grab, but might be an interesting read.
yappers4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It seems that a minority group enjoys and respects all versions of the Sailor Moon and that only the hardcore otaku has a problem with the original English dub. Rolling Eyes
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Also did a quadruple-take at what will surely become an infamous blurb. In any case, that title goes to FUNi One Piece or Cowboy Bebop.

This guy's looking for a cash grab, but might be an interesting read.

Bebop, without a question.

While there were some pretty okay dubs before it, Bebop was the first show that actually made people stop and say, "Huh. Ya know, anime in English really ain't all that bad."

If *any* English dub truly "set the standard" for those that followed it, it was that one.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
It seems that a minority group enjoys and respects all versions of the Sailor Moon and that only the hardcore otaku has a problem with the original English dub. Rolling Eyes

no im sure all groups hate the sailor moon dub(original),although,not for the same reasons obviously.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Have you forgotten that this and other butchered dubs do get approved by the Japanese? Toei Animation arguably might deserve more blame the licensing companies of the Canadian Sailor Moon.

From conversations that Zac and Justin have had, it would appear that Japan might not have approved the butchering of Sailor Moon in the first North American releases.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
While there were some pretty okay dubs before it, Bebop was the first show that actually made people stop and say, "Huh. Ya know, anime in English really ain't all that bad."

If *any* English dub truly "set the standard" for those that followed it, it was that one.

I totally agree.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
The original Sailor Moon dub is very much a product of it's time, but it's very fascinating to learn about. I've read/watched/listened to interviews with many of it's voice actors. I've long gotten the impression that they seriously cared about the work they did, and were passionate about the show and their characters. They've really been reaching out to fans these past couple years. Keep in mind that in 1995, "butchering" anime wasn't considered a "crime" as much as it is today. Unfortunately DiC and Toei did what they had to to get the show on TV in the states, and I'm super glad they did because otherwise, we probably wouldn't have heard of Sailor Moon or anime in general otherwise. It was one of the first anime to be seriously marketed in the states with a full merchandising deal and support from large corporations. It also featured actors that mostly worked in western animation (including a young Tara Strong), and at the time, the voice acting was top-notch for anime dubbing. It showed us that anime voice acting didn't HAVE to sound cheap with amateur voice actors (Bubblegum Crisis, Robotech), and that effort put into it could turn some great results. After Sailor Moon, the quality of anime dubs improved, and while most surpassed it in quality, I do think SM did set the bar to a new level. If it wasn't for the bowdlerization and heavy editing, it would probably be looked back upon as a great dub for it's time. Keep in mind that most of the voice actors working on Sailor Moon have mentioned that they would've preferred to work on an unedited version of the show. Quite a few have expressed particular disappointment at the handling of Uranus/Neptune's relationship.

Anyway, does the dub hold up in 2014? Not quite, but I still have respect for the production. I'm looking forward to the new uncut dub, and I have a feeling that it will probably be a big improvement, but it's hard to deny the original's significance, as easy as it is to mock now.

(Also, Fred Ladd, the producer of the dub, mentioned in HIS book that Toei did approve the infamous Day of Destiny episode. Times were different back then, and no, I don't agree with that decision.)

BTW, I'm mostly talking about the original two seasons. S and SuperS's dub turned out to be pretty horrendous, mostly because of the extremely rushed production schedule (thanks YTV!), and that the voice director could NOT speak English (only French), and relied on an interpreter. Many of the VAs have said they recorded as many as ELEVEN episodes in one session, recording each line twice and using the better take (even the good VAs sounded terrible), and the scripts were a confusing and inconsistent mess. That dub was a train wreck at it's worst. It's almost so-bad-it's-good.
I would probably compare the Classic/R seasons' original dub to Saban/Ocean's early Dragon Ball Z dub, and the S/SuperS seasons' original dub to the later Westwood/Ocean dub for Europe and Canada. There are so many parallels with DBZ and SM over here.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
From conversations that Zac and Justin have had, it would appear that Japan might not have approved the butchering of Sailor Moon in the first North American releases.

That might be the case but Japan has been doing this for over 50 years with America localizing many anime.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering the Sailor Moon DiC dub's legendary impact on Canadian viewers, I'm sure a lot of Canadian anime fans will snatch up this book just to see all the juicy details.

However, I'm not sure if I want to go solely by Roland Parliament's POV here. There were other notable directors and producers who were part of this dub too like the great John Stocker and Nicole Thrualt.

I'm just hoping that the book will address some key issues related to the DiC dub that I really want to see a definitive answer to:

-What was the real reason for Tracey Moore's departure from the title role?
-Were the omission of certain episodes during the show's run a matter of syndication requirements or subject matter concerns that could not be properly censored in the episodes themselves?
-What was the reason behind the abrupt voice change for the character of Katsy?
-Was the clip show "Follow That Soldier" really necessary to dub considering that the majority of the supporting cast from the show's first season could not be brought back to reprise their roles?
-How much influence did Fred Ladd have upon the dubbing of the show itself?
-What were the circumstances that led to DiC losing the rights to the S and the Super S seasons which were ultimately turned over to Cloverway?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4