• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rooster Teeth's RWBY Heads To Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Good for them, it's a cute little series. I do think the world is sort of interesting.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Well then, That's pretty cool. I thought the idea would be cool, never actually believed it would happen.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Said Rooster Teeth CEO Matt Hullman, "This is the first time any American-made anime has been marketed to Japan... we're really pleased about that."

I remember that when W.I.T.C.H. was new, a consortium of Japanese studios (and maybe Manga UK, I can't recall exactly and can't find it on the web atm) brought a suit against Disney for calling it anime. The suit contended that a series produced in English, animated in France, and based on an Italian light novel series for American audiences was not "anime," because anime was Japanese animation, produced in Japan for Japanese audiences. (Of course, since then a lot of "Japanese" animation has been animated in Korea and Vietnam....) I'm sure it never went to trial. Disney just stopped calling it anime.

It may be interesting to see if RWBY can continue to be called anime.

Last edited by unready on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
LumiRiko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say I am the biggest fan of RWBY, so maybe what I am about to say will come across as a little bias, but make no mistake I like Rooster Teeth and have been following them since Season one of Red vs Blue.

The questions are:

"Is there a market for something like this over in Japan? Is there a big following of Rooster Teeth in Japan?"

To the above questions, I have no idea, but I do think a lot of why this is successful and fun for some is because who made it and less to its quality.

Not to mention there happens to be more than a couple Red VS Blue references or references to other things Rooster Teeth will does. This happens a lot more in season 2 from the first 3 episodes I have watched of it and I think stuff like that just doesn't translate well at all since its mostly in-jokes.

Maybe I am being negative Nelly, but I think it's just being realistic to wonder what kind of interest this even has over there. That is assuming there even is one.

At the end of the day, I still feel I agree with a few reviewers on RWBY. You can't treat it like any other anime because you'd have to compare it to other works of similar theme and that's pretty unfair to RWBY when you do that because you would rate it a lot lower than you otherwise would. The more you compare RWBY to other anime the less and less it starts to stand out in the vast sea of anime outside of it being made by Rooster Teeth.

Last edited by LumiRiko on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I really don't get the RWBY popularity. I watched a bit of it and wasn't really impressed... I also thought the animation itself was kinda shotty. Since it's a tight budget passion project from Monty Oum I guess that's what you get though.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Quote:
Said Rooster Teeth CEO Matt Hullman, "This is the first time any American-made anime has been marketed to Japan... we're really pleased about that."

I remember that when W.I.T.C.H. was new, a consortium of Japanese studios (and maybe Manga UK, I can't recall exactly and can't find it on the web atm) brought a suit against Disney for calling it anime. The suit contended that a series produced in English, animated in France, and based on an Italian light novel series for American audiences was not "anime," because anime was Japanese animation, produced in Japan for Japanese audiences. (Of course, since then a lot of "Japanese" animation has been produced in Korea and Vietnam....) I'm sure it never went to trial. Disney just stopped calling it anime.

It may be interesting to see if RWBY can continue to be called anime.

Do you have a source for that, because I find that hard to believe. Everything is called "anime" in Japan, including western cartoons. The only difference is western animation isn't really popular in Japan so when people say anime they do generally refer to their domestic animation.

RWBY can call itself whatever it wants, but not everyone is going to agree with it any more than they do with people who call Teen Titans and Legend of Korra anime.

-Stuart Smith
sirdano1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series will be dubbed in Japanese

Thank God. I liked the silent previews when they first came out but couldn't stand the awful voice acting in the later ones.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is going to be very interesting to see. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
michaelarroyo01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
The knowledge that thousands of "real" anime fans are probably dying of anger right now makes me smile! Twisted Evil
johnndergrosse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The Fated Dash wrote:
"Is there a market for something like this over in Japan? Is there a big following of Rooster Teeth in Japan?"

RWBY is actually already pretty popular in Japan. There was a fandub (in Japanese) that was being made, and Japanese artist have made pages and pages of RWBY fanart on Pixiv. Also the Rwby soundtrack reached the tippy-top of some charts in Japan.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"This is the first time any American-made anime has been marketed to Japan... we're really pleased about that."

Um, Nope. Plenty of these types of shows have aired in Japan before. Avatar's first season aired in Japan, even though it was cancelled. Totally Spies aired in Japan as well. Teen Titans aired there too. I'm sure that Super Monkey Robot Whatever also aired in Japan at some point as well. Not sure what these guys are trying to pull by saying they're the first anime influenced show to be marketed in Japan...

spinja446 wrote:
I really don't get the RWBY popularity. I watched a bit of it and wasn't really impressed... I also thought the animation itself was kinda shotty. Since it's a tight budget passion project from Monty Oum I guess that's what you get though.

RWBY isn't popular because of it's quality it's popular because of what it represents. It represents what every young artist on DeviantArt and Tumblr dreams of: making their own "anime". They see it and think "that'll be me one day, living the life and having my own anime" It's like the old days of TokyoPop produce OEL manga, only in animated form now.

sirdano1 wrote:
Thank God. I liked the silent previews when they first came out but couldn't stand the awful voice acting in the later ones.

Laughing No doubt the Japanese dub will probably be better
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I like to listen to my entertainment in the language it was made in. On the other hand...yeah, the voice-acting is my least favorite part of this show. Not sure I'll ever actually get the chance to listen to the Japanese dub, but I'm certainly curious about the cast.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
johnndergrosse wrote:
The Fated Dash wrote:

RWBY is actually already pretty popular in Japan. There was a fandub (in Japanese) that was being made, and Japanese artist have made pages and pages of RWBY fanart on Pixiv. Also the Rwby soundtrack reached the tippy-top of some charts in Japan.

Whoa, really. Shocked

I never thought an anime-inspired show like RWBY could end up getting popular in Japan, that's amazing. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
johnndergrosse wrote:

I find it's not a good idea to use Pixiv to judge popularity. Thousands of non-Japanese artists use the site and upload their stuff to it, which is what seems to be the case with RWBY.

Last edited by gloverrandal on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two or three episodes, and it felt more regurgitated and processed than the most cliche VN adaptation out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9