• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku Shares the New Miku Expo LA & NY Theme Song with the World

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Not mentioned is that the LA event coincides with the "Hatsune Miku Halloween Party" event and exhibition at the Los Angeles Center Studios. All of the events (LA and NY) will have the new Nendoroid Hatsune Miku Halloween ver. figure for sale.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Pitch too high for English
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Is this the slightly different "English Miku" software voice (sounds a bit off), or getting the Japanese Miku to sing in Engrish?

(Which can be cute at times, like when she sings the translated second verse of "Po-Pi-Po" in English.)
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, too high pitched. English Miku needs a lot of work and dedication to get to sound good. Triple that effort to get an understandable Miku.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Miku's English voice is just terrible period. It destroys her image and doesn't sound cute at all IMO. I really hope Crypton doesn't betray all the purist fans and include a significant amount of English songs over popular Japanese ones. If they do that it will ruin the concert for me and I'll never forgive them. I understand that some people like the English voice, which is why a few (=<15%) of English songs in the setlist is acceptable, but I think the vast majority of Miku fans going to these concerts are purists.

Anybody have any comments on this or speculation? Do you think Crypton would betray all the purists to appeal to a wider demographic?
phifedawg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
yes, heaven forbid we alienate our close-minded "fans" who have a superiority complex by playing music in a language they can actually understand.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as the tone is closer to that of Miku's Japanese voice, I'll be okay with it. Even then, I don't really have high hopes for it.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:
yes, heaven forbid we alienate our close-minded "fans" who have a superiority complex by playing music in a language they can actually understand.

Hate to say this, but listening to the song in the article, I think Japanese Miku's Englsh is more audible to me than English Miku's English.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:

I know we're trying to get cross-thread synergy here with one easy flame button, but:
It's not the language, it that whoever this English-inflected imposter is just doesn't SOUND like Miku! Shocked (For such is the persona that her combination of game, marketing and music videos has now created.)
Probably due to this one not being sourced from Saki Fujita's voice, and from a Western voice instead--Cute, yes, high-pitched and electronically filtered, yes, but just not the wide-eyed blue twin-tailer we know! If they wanted to make it an entirely different American character, it would make more sense, rather than one of those cheap sound-alike artists you get on public-domain records. (Anyone go looking for Vocaloid songs on iTunes, and find whole albums of semi-legitimate anime-theme knockoffs by "Miku & Her Friends"?...)
It's like a good dub voice: A Western voice caught a good approximation of what the on-paper character is supposed to be, but it's...not the character.

And if you're wondering whether this is a sign the whole cult-of-character thing is out of control, maybe, but that's not entirely a bad thing either. Embarassed
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Is this the slightly different "English Miku" software voice (sounds a bit off), or getting the Japanese Miku to sing in Engrish?

(Which can be cute at times, like when she sings the translated second verse of "Po-Pi-Po" in English.)

They said it's a prototype of a new version of English Miku. They may have filled in missing sounds with the old English Miku, however.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
It's like a good dub voice: A Western voice caught a good approximation of what the on-paper character is supposed to be, but it's...not the character.

It's just as legitimate as the Japanese version. The original isn't necessarily any better just because it came first; a good dub stands on its own. Anime in Japan is also "dubbed" btw. And it can have flaws, just like Japanese and English Vocaloids can.

IMO Miku English only appears to suck because we don't have enough talented producers working in English, and she has been released in English for less than a year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:

Hate to say this, but listening to the song in the article, I think Japanese Miku's Englsh is more audible to me than English Miku's English.

At high pitch, Japanese syllables are more audible than English syllables.
ShadowAnime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Hatsune Miku is very gifted at what she does. I love the way that this new song sounds. I also think it has a important point to it.
Suiseiten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so admittedly the whole Vocaloid thing was a tough sale for me. I'm still very much a novice, but found that the sound quality was a touch too robotic for my liking in this one. The song and the beat are great, but sound-wise (and it's not a language thing), I've heard others that are very clear and sounded almost natural. In both, English and Japanese. Dye (Granted it's Luka, not Miku) being an example of a clear bilingual song.

Though, I'm kinda liking that we're getting a preview of an experimental version.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Suiseiten wrote:
Ok, so admittedly the whole Vocaloid thing was a tough sale for me. I'm still very much a novice, but found that the sound quality was a touch too robotic for my liking in this one. The song and the beat are great, but sound-wise (and it's not a language thing), I've heard others that are very clear and sounded almost natural. In both, English and Japanese. Dye (Granted it's Luka, not Miku) being an example of a clear bilingual song.

J-Miku's supposed to sound a little "robotic" since that's her computer-created character, but the other Vocas, being their own commercial software programs, are designed to sound more natural.
Kaito and Len, for example, have more natural-sounding voices, but you can still hear a text-speech "clip" on their words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9QWV2n-F8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=148fCSXqFRQ
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2