• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Kaguya BD to Have English Subtitles, Dub in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
This is how it should be done with anime, cut out the middle man and anyone who is actually interested in it can import.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
For a BD with those features, that seems really cheap which I find is nice.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
For a BD with those features, that seems really cheap which I find is nice.

Every one of the Ghibli blu-rays is about the same price with the same features in terms of options for dubs and subs. It's pretty awesome.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
This is how it should be done with anime, cut out the middle man and anyone who is actually interested in it can import.

And pay it 3 times as much as a localized version. Twisted Evil
I prefer the localized version (which will also have the japanese audio).
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote

Otherwise (at least for the US version) you'll have to wait a year+ to see the bluray release. Poppy Hill came to Japanese bluray on Jun 2012; GKids Poppy Hill blu came out Sep 2013.

Tale of Princess Kaguya to Japanese bluray in Dec. 2014; GKids Kaguya to bluray: ? (according to their history it will be March 2016)
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

And pay it 3 times as much as a localized version. Twisted Evil
I prefer the localized version (which will also have the japanese audio).

Localized may be cheaper, but the money isn't going to the people who make anime happen.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:

Otherwise (at least for the US version) you'll have to wait a year+ to see the bluray release. Poppy Hill came to Japanese bluray on Jun 2012; GKids Poppy Hill blu came out Sep 2013.

Tale of Princess Kaguya to Japanese bluray in Dec. 2014; GKids Kaguya to bluray: ? (according to their history it will be March 2016)

I highly doubt that considering that they're releasing Kaguya much faster than they did Poppy Hill. I'm pretty sure regarding that movie that there was some trouble determining who would get the rights to release it over in the US. That's pretty much what took it so long. GKids is a quality distributor and they have a lot of great animated films under their belt. Plus you can always trust them to pick up the more Japanese-y of the Ghibli films that are harder for Disney to market. That's why I'm hoping they someday release Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves over here.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Localized may be cheaper, but the money isn't going to the people who make anime happen.
but the money does get to the people who make it so we can watch the anime in English. So they "make anime happen" outside of Japan.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

but the money does get to the people who make it so we can watch the anime in English. So they "make anime happen" outside of Japan.

A growing amount of Japanese releases come with English subtitles, and it would not surprise me if more Japanese distribs decide to add English subtitles to their releases too, meaning they would make anime happen outside of Japan.

And we're just talking physical releases here, since anime happening outside of Japan is best explained through streaming today, as we get most shows streamed around the same time it airs in Japan. In most cases physical releases in the west doesn't happen until +1 year after streaming, so licensors like Funimation certainly doesn't make anime happen outside of Japan.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quote
southpacific-

I was merely reusing your words for effect. My point was that maybe you shouldn't discount the importance of the licensor (and I include streaming services). Also, why should I import if I know it is going to be released here later on. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't care if I see the newest anime right away. I have imported some titles, but God forbid that was the only way to get blu-rays.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
If the dubs match the quality of English we typically hear from anime, this would be worth buying for entertainment value of the dub alone. Laughing

I'm going to buy this regardless because I'm so eager to see the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1