• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:40 am Reply with quote

(The) Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! (TV)

Genres:
Themes:

Plot Summary: Once she was the second most powerful being in all the Dark Realms – Jahy, the Demon Lord's right-hand woman. But then came the magical girl, and in no longer than it takes to shatter a mana crystal, the world was destroyed and Jahy flung down from her perch. Now she's stuck in a child's body, lives in a crappy run-down apartment, and scours the human world for enough pieces of the mana crystal, obviously.
----------------------------------

Anime adaptation based on the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This doesn't seem to be too popular in the preview guide, but I had a good enough fun with the first episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Cute show. Obviously a variation on The Devil is a Part-timer! premise, but enjoyable none the less. I can never get enough of "cute little girls who think they're powerful" shows.

I didn't recognize Jahy's seiyuu, Naomi Ozara, as Chio from Chio's School Road, but I should have recognized her as Uzaki from Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Cute show. Obviously a variation on The Devil is a Part-timer! premise, but enjoyable none the less. I can never get enough of "cute little girls who think they're powerful" shows.

I didn't recognize Jahy's seiyuu, Naomi Ozara, as Chio from Chio's School Road, but I should have recognized her as Uzaki from Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

I think my biggest surprise is that Jahy's landlord is played by Mio from K-On!'s VA Yoko Hikasa!

The show gives me a very Dropkick On My Devil vibe. Jahy reminds me so much of Jashin-chan!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I loves me some Jashin but Jahy seems to have more on the ball mentally than she does (not that that would be hard). Plus, Jashin truly is scummy, with no compunction about ripping off her friends and doing all sorts of awful things. So far, Jahy talks a big game but I'm not sure she's prepared to be truly evil.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Introduction of Druj, her ex servant, creates some different dynamics. Druj apparently being much more successful. I suppose some comedy that Jahy probably could just decide to live off of Druj, since Druj had a masochistic joy of Jahy even just mistreating her, but her pride stops her.

Don't know what it says that I don't actually find Druj feeling joy from being mistreated as something like objectionable. If she enjoyed it all the more to her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
As I said before, I quite enjoy Drop Kick, but what I like about Jahy is that it has some heart. Drop Kick can be quite harsh at times, but I enjoyed seeing Landlord-San giving Jahy a piggyback ride.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
It's cute and it's funny. I love Jahy's interaction with the two other female characters; esp her boss who is just one of those characters who is so dumb yet so sweet you can't possibly stay angry with her. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

This one got me a couple times, the first being the fake magical girl, and the second with the real thing. The fake being some random middle aged dude with a beard, taking selfies of himself in the middle of the park with the staff being a selfie stick. And the real magical girl seeming to be pretty tall, not only to just Jahy but she looked taller than the landlady, as a full grown women, but also tries to call herself out as cute and gets taken away by the police after not recognising Jahy. Also sweat Jahy moments of her being looked after when sick.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 20 (finale)

That was a fun series, even if the reveal of the antagonistic force that destroyed the dark realm was purposefully anticlimactic, as it always should have been in this series. It did kind of hit its high point to the arc in that sort of way when Jahy herself called out the petty nonsense that explained everything they went through, and there needing to be a bit more than just laughing it off. I guess from Jahy so often fighting against the karma of her petty actions.

The last episode also had an extended bit with Saurva, who really killed it in this episode from outfit changes for the festival, and crushing on the manager. I was sort of wondering if her kind of more masculine style should have had me mention her in the gender nonconforming topic, where I think the subtitles at one point put across that someone might have been confused over her gender. Other characters were great too like Kokoro and the Magical girl. And as much as Jahy often stayed the same kind of arrogant self, she did have growth such as accepting some levels of being humble.

I actually kind of think that this will probably one of the series that will stick with me more into the future, where some of its jokes could be funny, and it subverted itself just enough. It reminds me a bit of other comedies such as Nagatoro-san, and a bit like they took the Satania bits from Gabriel Dropout and made it more of a show while making the heroine more scrappy. And I don't know if mentioned enough, the series really avoided doing things like sexualising child form Jahy, it was all open for her adult form, which we know as her true form, but it was never creepy on her child like form, despite her apparently mostly just wearing way too big t-shirt. A quick mentioned though that a little disappointing that it used cheap jokes of the crossdressing guy, which even if I maybe laughed at some of it, it really shouldn't be much of a punchline of having masculine older guy wear women's clothing. He worked the Samba outfit.

About time to rate the series, I give a Very good (8/10), which maybe is a little high, but honestly this series managed to be the one that actually got my attention and kept me pretty entertained through its run. And maybe a bit presumptuous, could have things to say, not just about the sort of silly scenarios the characters get in that might be from acting too much out of pride, or something an adult might understand, but sometimes you really shouldn't take yourself too seriously. People have their dorky sides, even those we might look up to, or those who can come across as intimidating, and it can be a good idea to not focus too much on things like personal failures in trying to go after huge goals, but celebrate small ones. They might not be hugely original things to say, but I think this silly comedy series also managed to have things like a heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1