• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Square Enix Considers Dragon Quest X MMORPG Release in the West

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
okay square stop considering these dragon quest games for the west and JUST RELEASE THEM ALREADY!!! The wii-u is lacking badly in the rpg department "aside from BC with older wii games" so would it be to much to ask to bring this over?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
SQ'Enix had enough problems with its Final Fantasy MMORPG. So I don't see DQ X happening here, unless they can bring it over as a download-only purchase. Hell, MMORPGs aren't even that popular in Japan in the first place, and the only reason that one succeeded is because of the popularity of the DQ brand.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
Dragon Quest doesn't really sell here though.

Which is weird, you'd think Toriyama's art style would be a plus for it over other RPGS which do a lot better.
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
well,

they're already doing better than Sega
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
SQ'Enix had enough problems with its Final Fantasy MMORPG. So I don't see DQ X happening here, unless they can bring it over as a download-only purchase. Hell, MMORPGs aren't even that popular in Japan in the first place, and the only reason that one succeeded is because of the popularity of the DQ brand.

There is only one thing square needs to do so it can succeed here in the west, remove the monthly subscription fee's. Keep in mind Nintendo did the same thing monster hunter 3 for the wii.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alexandrious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

There is only one thing square needs to do so it can succeed here in the west, remove the monthly subscription fee's. Keep in mind Nintendo did the same thing monster hunter 3 for the wii.

Sighs, I knew I was detecting mass ignorance somewhere. Had to make an account to clear up the idiocy, well........sighs, wont even say your name, the ignorance you spout defiles the name you picked so ill come bk to you.

Lavnovice, well you are a novice concerning video games. DQIX sold pretty damn well "over here" now im gonna assume your not thinking just in NA, no ones that dumb, actually tell ya what, its ok, alot of people are that dumb, when they say "in the west" most of the time they think only NA sales matter, not Canada, not mexico, not south america, certainly not ALL OF EUROPE. because you see, when a Asian based video game company considers things for the west, they really mean, US/EU/CA. Dragon Quest sold well here IF, and this is a important factor that SE forgets half the time, IF they market it well. They marketed it really well for both the old PS2 VIII and they did it again for IX, and what happens? They both sold really well, over a million in the west. If they market VII and X properly, it will do fine here too. Sighs, now to lecture the defiler of that name...

No subscription fee? This isnt monster hunter you know, this is a actual full blown MMORPG. Monster Hunter was basically just a online lobby game. You get your 3 guys, you go do something, thats it. Content updates come out for maybe about a year before they stop. Why do you think they have a Monster Hunter MMO, Frontier I believe it is called, in the asian countries only? Im not sure on its model, but I believe it was P2P last I checked, and for good reason, you think they are gonna just continue to spend time and MONEY to develop new content, just to give to the game for free out of the goodness of their hearts? Thats sheer ignorance to think so.

DQX is a mmo, for it to work, and to profit the company, and keep them making more content, which honestly due to the graphic style and how the game handles, its much, much, MUCH cheaper to make new content and features for DQX than it is compared to FFXIV. But to keep it up, some way of monetary compensation is required. So if it ever comes here, it will have to be a sub fee, up to 10 dollars a month, which real gamers would prefer, those who are experienced with mmos would prefer, because it keeps alot of the problems F2P brings in out. Such as hackers, RMTs, kiddies causing a mess, and so on.

The very least, they are gonna put in the Pay Gating method, what this is, is that anytime new content comes out, like say a new version with new content and such like a new dungeon, or new story or new classes or whatever, they will charge a small fee, of about 3-5 dollars. to enable access to it. Likely creating a bundle pack of content every few versions making previous content cheaper to get like an all in one as more comes in.

Bottom line, its foolish to think a MMO can go F2P, without some sorta negative consequence, it has to make money somehow to justify bringing more new content to it, as well as GM and Customer services and so on. I suggest doing your homework, and looking into all this yourself and you will know it to be true, give a ignorant response, and I will have to give the next lecture on why F2P is really bad.

Class dismissed.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
yeah.. that was just a suggestion, no need to through a fit. I'm well aware of how much money goes into keeping an mmo up, server's, new content, patches and so on. Listen if square-enix wants this game to even have a medium of success in the west then they are going to have to make a few changes so they will appeal to our market.

Currently I have been playing the pc version on my computer and I'm enjoying it despite the huge language barrier. You are given 2 free hours a day to play the play the game before they start charging you as well. That's actually smart move on their end since square-enix knows fully well how addictive MMO's can be.

As far as western release goes let the game be free to play with a level cap in place. If you want to access and play more of the game later down the road you'll have to start paying monthly or yearly fee to square-enix. By then most people will have spent hours on the game and continue to do so.

Listen If i offended you in some way I'm sorry, I was just merely typing out a thought that crossed my mind. Let's just drop the hostility here please because I really don't want to get into a long, drawn out argument.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The monthly fee is why I play FFXIV, so I would hope it's not removed if Dragon Quest X ever comes here.

I hate free-to-play MMOs. A game goes to trash once it goes that route, because then everything is about nickel-and-diming you and the content updates become fewer and less often, and half of them are a bunch of cosmetic/boost stuff. Everytime I see an MMO go free-to-play, I notice that unless you want to grind at a severe disadvantage, you end up spending more money than 15 bucks a month. Want extra hotbars for your skills? Five bucks please. Hide your helmet? Another five bucks. Unlock class talent slots? Five more dollars. Soon you've payed like 70 bucks to "unlock" everything, where as 15 dollars got you everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1