• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed Alpha CG Anime Film Screenshots Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pangea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I have already seen this movie <_<
The CGI was stunning. Story meh, characters meh but action awesome.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I was really expecting to see Square Enix's name here given how good it looked.

Suprise, suprise.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Really not a fan of the art direction with the characters in this one. Either go stylized, or just use real actors. Going for the realistic CG look just makes the characters look like they hail from the uncanny valley...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the movie's already out, people have seen it: it's not good. It certainly looks better than the recent stuff, but the story and characters are completely ineffectual. It's just trying to be another generic action film where they fight spoiler[Arliss Loveless's giant mechanical spider]. If you can catch it for free, it's a way to kill 90 minutes. Did it even have a Japanese voice cast? I imagine they wouldn't have even bothered, this isn't Shirow's Appleseed. The best thing I can give it credit for is some nice mechanical design, but that does not a good movie make.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
I see she relies on camouflage...
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
I miss Masamune Shirow, i wish he come back and give Appleseed its ending.

I'm really tired of these reboots. The for this film CGI looks good, but I don't know. It Final Fantasy in CGI imagry, but a plot is
"Ground Hog Day" that keeps being repeated again and again.

I want friggin ending.

Last edited by Wrangler on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Isn't dubstep music dead already? Rolling Eyes
this movie looks like a video game that you don't have to actually play, but just watch. For it to be a proper prequel it would have to show what Briareos looked like before his "rebuild" and their relationship during that time IMO. Good for a 90min. time waster on a rainy Sunday, but nought else.
shukujo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
well, I really enjoyed it, tho I wasn't expecting to see the mouth movements clearly made to fit english words - with that type of animation, it would be impossible to miss if it was originally made to go with a japanese script. Anyone know what the story is on that?
Boomer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this movie. I thought it looked great although I do agree with the point made earlier that some scenes had the appearance of a video game that you just watched instead of played, especially cut scenes from Call of Duty or Battlefield.

The story was kind of mediocre and came off as a generic American sci-fi/action flick with some (not enough) existentialism sprinkled in. It had very little cyberpunk elements and even included a smart-mouthed quirky character whose main purpose was comic relief. I must confess that I did like the gangsta Two Horns and was amused by his spoiler[constant refusal to die]. While I found the movie unsatisfying as a whole, I can't hate on it too much because I did enjoy it for what it was. The visual style was definitely more appealing than the horrible pastel-colored moving crayon images in Appleseed XXIII.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1