• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media's SuBLime Imprint Adds Love Stage, Ginger Honey, Special Delivery, More Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know there was more of Hide and Seek. I'm so happy! I'll definitely pre-order it!

I bet Love Stage will be a strong seller for them.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I don't watch/read the BL genre but I did watch Love Stage! because it was cutesy and kind of innocent like, I thought it would be a good "beginner" series to see what I thought of the genre. I didn't enjoy the romantic scenes, I just couldn't get into it... but I still enjoyed the series as a whole and liked all of the characters. I'm curious where it continues in the manga but I feel like the BL aspect probably only gets more prominent, given how the anime ends... I will have to do some thinking before I decide.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm really intrigued by the Tomoko Yamashita title. I've heard her name mentioned before as an interesting up-and-comer in the yaoi world, and if the rest of her art is as intriguing as that cover, then I'm definitely eager to pick that one up.
PansyWansyLinsy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
MagicallyDelicious wrote:
Hm, I don't watch/read the BL genre but I did watch Love Stage! because it was cutesy and kind of innocent like, I thought it would be a good "beginner" series to see what I thought of the genre. I didn't enjoy the romantic scenes, I just couldn't get into it... but I still enjoyed the series as a whole and liked all of the characters. I'm curious where it continues in the manga but I feel like the BL aspect probably only gets more prominent, given how the anime ends... I will have to do some thinking before I decide.

I'm always a little impressed by the readers who are open-minded enough to want to try something new for a genre they're not totally into. Before I got into BL, you couldn't have paid me to read anything centering on a homosexual romance. However, since I've started reading it, I'll just say that people who like BL love BL. To me, I don't really see an in-between, there's an aspect of it that you're really into or you're not.

I loved how the anime might have possibly opened the doors to attract new readers, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that viewership tailed off when it became more obvious that it was about two guys and not one guy and a guy who likes to cross dress and looks very much like a girl.

Depending on what you mean about it becoming more BL, yes it does. Meaning there's more sexual encounters and another interfering interloper who happens to be gay but doesn't really factor as third triangle love interest. However, I like Love Stage for the simple fact that they're a lovey-dovey couple. They might sometimes have misunderstandings and maybe even argue, but at the end of the day, they're the type of couple who's all heartsy heartsy at seeing each other, and they are always happy to be in one another's company. They're just so adorable together, which is why I'm going to be throwing money at this series!

I'll definitely pick up Ginger Honey too, as I generally enjoy all of Isaku Natsume's works. I might buy the digital version of Tomoko Yamashita's work. If I had to compare her to another manga-ka, I'd probably say she was more like Est Em in that their works are usually unconventional BL.

I've been looking forward to Starting with a Kiss, I was starting to think the project had been abandoned since it's been such a long time since the last release. I hear it's the last volume, which makes me sad. I think this series had massive potential to evolve into a longer series, but typical Youka Nitta always stretching herself thin over several projects. I love her work but I wish she'd just take the time to focus on one or two series instead of working on several and taking a massive amount of time to complete a series. I know Embracing Love was her bread and butter back in the day, but I wish she'd just complete it and move on.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Hm, I don't watch/read the BL genre but I did watch Love Stage! because it was cutesy and kind of innocent like, I thought it would be a good "beginner" series to see what I thought of the genre.

Another fantastic yaoi series with broad appeal is His Favorite (Aitsu no Daihonmei). Although there is romance, the bulk of the story revolves around humor and endearing, but oddball characters. It's genuinely laugh-out-loud funny and would make a fantastic anime too.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, those are some great titles. I was really pleasantly surprised by Devil's Honey way back when it first came out and have been waiting for the sequel ever since. Yay SuBLime! I can't wait to read them.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Hm, I don't watch/read the BL genre but I did watch Love Stage! because it was cutesy and kind of innocent like, I thought it would be a good "beginner" series to see what I thought of the genre.

Another fantastic yaoi series with broad appeal is His Favorite (Aitsu no Daihonmei). Although there is romance, the bulk of the story revolves around humor and endearing, but oddball characters. It's genuinely laugh-out-loud funny and would make a fantastic anime too.

I would recommend His Favorite for beginners too. It is really funny & adorable and is one of the few BL series with no explicit content. I'd never really thought about it getting an anime but it would definitely be nice to see.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
His Favourite is a glorious series and it's not smutty like a lot of BL. Awkward Silence avoids a lot of the genres pitfalls so would be worth looking into. SubLime continues to be the leader of BL, in my opinion, with these new additions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1