• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Legends Untold

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Untold? I question how much Ero any of you guys have watched. Its all there, through dirty funding. Most RPGs were guilty pleasures played by Japanese salesmen at the time.

You are too quick to dismiss most of it. Watch and read all of U-Jin's stuff. Its got a ton of references linking back to the olden days of computer gaming.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
LOL at that Ar Tonelico scene. Intentional or not, I imagine the dubbing session must've been really awkward... or hilarious. Laughing
Damn it, now I really need to finish AT.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Intentional or not? AT1 has no fewer than two separate game mechanics that are blatant euphemisms for sex. I'm quite confident that it is totally intentional.

In fact, if you take the euphemisms to their logical conclusion, AT is a cheerful game series covering such light-hearted themes as rape, prostitution, sexual slavery, pimping, drug addiction, racism, slavery, and genocide, where you use the power of love and friendship to convince suicidally-depressed girls not to destroy the world.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I have that Arcana Heart 3 boobie mouse pad! Hope the new version gets a eu release.

Hyrule Warriors is out Friday in the UK. Looking forward to it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Summer is still in full force were I live (heck its hotter these days than its been the whole season).

A thumbs up for that There Will Be Blood reference. Oh, and I also liked the battle system for Xenosaga, even though the game had difficulty issues and overlong cutscenes (I love the art-style though). Reminds me that I should've bought one of those Kos-Mos figures at AX a couple years ago. I wouldn't mind an HD version, though isn't Monolith owned by Nintendo now? Would the remaster be on Wii U?

My friend has the Arcana Heart game for PS2, and it was pretty fun, so I may get Max III. I don't have a 3ds but Smash Bros. gives me another reason to finally buy one. And that Ar Tonelico clip was hilariously lewd. Makes me want to play the games more.

Oh, and from what game is the thumbnail pic from?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

Todd annotated the answer in today's X Button logo: Lunar Eternal Blue. It also makes me think they should port EB to a portable like they did Silver Star, but they'd have done it by now if that were the case. Poor Lunar hasn't even had a new entry in years and I'm not counting that godawful kusoge Dragon Song.

Xenosaga HD Collection: This would be a very good idea should it come to fruition, especially for Europe, who only got Episode II for reasons I still can't fathom. Xenosaga got killed off too soon thanks to both whiny fan input ("The characters are too anime-looking!" is still one of the most moronic criticisms I have ever heard) and poor company decision-making. This would be a great way for someone to play through the trilogy and smoothly carry over their completion data through each episode.

Ar nosurge: This is coming out soon and I'm still cranking away at Xillia 2. Darn it, and I need still to pre-order Smash Bros. 3DS too. Guess it's been a good season for game releases though.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

A thumbs up for that There Will Be Blood reference. Oh, and I also liked the battle system for Xenosaga, even though the game had difficulty issues and overlong cutscenes (I love the art-style though). Reminds me that I should've bought one of those Kos-Mos figures at AX a couple years ago. I wouldn't mind an HD version, though isn't Monolith owned by Nintendo now? Would the remaster be on Wii U?

Probably not. While Nintendo owns Monolith, Xenosaga belongs to Namco Bandai. Nintendo wouldn't get much of a say.
r3ronaldo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Despite the brief, I would love to get a Shadow Hearts HD Collection or something along the lines of a new game. The judgement ring mechanic was fantastic. It added a bit of skill to the strategy.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Todd I just want to say I appreciated the subtle nod to There Will Be Blood embedded in this article
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I have that Arcana Heart 3 boobie mouse pad! Hope the new version gets a eu release.

It will, by the good pals at NISA for EU.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
r3ronaldo wrote:
Despite the brief, I would love to get a Shadow Hearts HD Collection or something along the lines of a new game. The judgement ring mechanic was fantastic. It added a bit of skill to the strategy.

Same here. I've only played the second game in the series, but it's been just about the only PS2 game where I wasn't even a little annoyed at random encounters. I'm not sure why--maybe the frequency gave the player a little room to breathe and explore?
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
My favourite Duck Hunt Dog related post since SSB3DS came out. Laughing
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Intentional or not? AT1 has no fewer than two separate game mechanics that are blatant euphemisms for sex. I'm quite confident that it is totally intentional.

In fact, if you take the euphemisms to their logical conclusion, AT is a cheerful game series covering such light-hearted themes as rape, prostitution, sexual slavery, pimping, drug addiction, racism, slavery, and genocide, where you use the power of love and friendship to convince suicidally-depressed girls not to destroy the world.

The series really doesn't use euphemisms for slavery, racism, or genocide, When it comes to those themes it directly addresses them.

Like Boards attitude towards the Reivatails in AT1 (conntatlay referring to them as tools)

Clustainams capturing humans and deleting their personality to turn them into mindless servants (Hell the place they keep their victims is literally called the Slave District) in Qoga (also it's worth mentioning later in the game the Arkia think Tank tries to do the same thing to all the revitails with the Hymons Z)

And things only get darker if you actually look up the translated versions of a lot of the hymns (not to mention what they are suppose to represent.)

Mir directly states in AT1 that her goal is the genocide of humans, while in Qoga Harvastasha refers to it as an ethnic cleansing leaving only a few humans alive to serve as cattle.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
kevinx59 wrote:

Todd annotated the answer in today's X Button logo: Lunar Eternal Blue. It also makes me think they should port EB to a portable like they did Silver Star, but they'd have done it by now if that were the case. Poor Lunar hasn't even had a new entry in years and I'm not counting that godawful kusoge Dragon Song.

Haven't played either of the games in a while, but I'm pretty sure the image itself is taken from one of the in-game cinematics in the PS1 remake; Lunar - Eternal Blue Complete.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm only interested in an uncensored Xenosaga HD collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2