• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassination Classroom (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote

Assassination Classroom (TV)

Genres: Genres: Action, Comedy, School, Shounen, Supernatural

Plot Summary: A humorous and action-packed story about a class of misfits who are trying to kill their new teacher – an alien octopus with bizarre powers and super strength! The teacher has just destroyed the moon and is threatening to destroy the earth – unless his students can destroy him first. What makes things more complicated is that he's the best teacher they've ever had!

----------------------------------
Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fcj-p9onaF0

Saw the special event episode awhile ago and thought was decent. I think this is confirmed to be 2 cour as well and is based on the manga (that has over 100+ chapters) and ongoing. From what I've seen so far based on the event anime and preview/CMS, I think it could be one of the funniest shows for the Winter.

There's a colorful cast of characters with some strange gimmicks. And not to mention, we have sensei who is one of the strangest characters in the series. My expectations are high for this Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:
spoiler[If anyone wants to see a show with an opening (not the OP song) that will knock you back in your seat, then this is it. What a way to start off the show. It introduced the majority of the class (some characters not yet introduced though but we'll see later on)]

Sensei's voice on most parts is goofy but I think we can get used to it easily. The OP song has a nice touch too (with some stills) but overall good. Solid start so far and I liked it. The comedy was on spot too especially with sensei's expressions; from the brief anger and those stunning grins.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
What a welcome!
That is one hell of a teacher.
And that is one weird classroom.
The good thing is that they gave a pretty decent explanation.
Seems like the camouflaged some slice of life in there.
Has potential. Will give it a few more episodes before I decide.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
Really like the visual, and the guy doing sensei voice does a fantastic job.

Sadly there's far too little humor in it, which makes me think it's primarily going to try to have some message about school and how the school system is terrible and let student down, but it'll do so by massively over simplifying everything. I'll watch another one, but without more joke it won't work. Great sensei Onizuka worked because most of it was funny and it had a message in bonus, this seems to be going for the opposite.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Absolutely loved the first episode (somewhat to my surprise). It's definitely one of my keepers for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
Episode

So we have a super powerful being that could do whatever it wants, and decided to either destroy the Earth or give it a chance to fight back. But what is with Nagisa's gender?

My first impressions would be this might just be like Danganronpa where it is actually all murder and such, but it feels kind of different. Despite the teacher's threats of Earth destruction, he actually seems to be teaching them some really good things, almost like saying that there is a difference between being a good person and being a good teacher. A teacher could be a good person, you don't want to look down on them as they fit the societal roles of a good citizen, but that does not mean they are being a good teacher. There teacher is alien, but he claims to be from Earth. It kind of makes me think of some story I must have seen where a teacher enters a community and the people think they are too odd but find they teach the kids very well.

My favourite part of the episode would be small touches like seeing spoiler[an innocent looking girl being blocked while holding a knife and looking over notes with the teacher]. This looks interesting.
誤称

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
Was I the only one who was stunned when it revealed that Nagisa is a boy?

This also has created the best hashtag ever: #AssClass
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
This show is exactly why I love anime so much. What other entertainment format would come up with such a wacky idea and then treat it with a certain amount of poignancy? Awesome.

And is that Nagisa chick cute or what?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

As cute as Ruka. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Blood- wrote:

As cute as Ruka. Laughing

And Megumu. Wink
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
WOW!

That was a hell of an episode and opening, this could be one of the shows of the winter! The only problem I can see is whether it's just going to be weekly class assassination attempts only to see them fail, or if there is more to it... Hopefully there is.

Koro-Sensei is rather awesomely cool and how the hell Nagisa is a guy, I'll never know. As a calamari relative of Koro once said.. "It's a trap!"
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Why the moon? Why is the moon always destroyed in anime?
I really enjoyed the episode, and I've only heard good things about the manga. Kuro-Sensei's flashback was intriguing. I want to learn more about him. The students can remain cute comedy conductors.
Why all that confusion about Nagisa? An anime girl would never wear pants with her school uniform. He only looks, sounds, and wears his hair like a --oh.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Why the moon? Why is the moon always destroyed in anime?

It knows what it did.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
It should become apparent over the first few episodes, but I'll spoiler tag it anyways for the earplugs crowd, but spoiler[while this show does have it's dark moments here and there, it is mostly a light show, where the assassination attempts are firmly directed at the teacher rather than some Battle Royale psychodrama. Philosophically it's more a condemnation of the educational process than anything else, but a fun ride along the way. Wink]
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote
I loved the first episode of this. I'd just read volume 1 of the manga a few days beforehand, so I knew what to expect, but the show is proving a very good adaption so far. I really liked the bit spoiler[where Koro-sensei takes all the nameplates, as it reminded people that he is actually dangerous]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19