• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Umineko When They Cry Episode 4: Alliance of the Golden Witch Volume 2 GN 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Great review Rebecca, i'm really happy you enjoyed the last half of umineko's 4th arc. Now let me ask you question that Beatrice proposed to battler with all of her power as a witch.

spoiler[You are the only one left alive on this island, yet I am going to kill you. Now of course I'm you and yet you're going to die. Who am I?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Your review is enticing, but when I see things like "Episode 4, Volume 2, Graphic Novel 8" attached to ONE book, I just can't deal.

It seems more complicated than Gundam.... if that's possible
Anime dazed
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Great review Rebecca, i'm really happy you enjoyed the last half of umineko's 4th arc. Now let me ask you question that Beatrice proposed to battler with all of her power as a witch.

spoiler[You are the only one left alive on this island, yet I am going to kill you. Now of course I'm you and yet you're going to die. Who am I?]

Um, this isn't the last half. There's a third volume.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Your review is enticing, but when I see things like "Episode 4, Volume 2, Graphic Novel 8" attached to ONE book, I just can't deal.

It seems more complicated than Gundam.... if that's possible
Anime dazed

Not really. You just start with Episode 1 Volume 1. Each episode is 2 volumes, nothing you have to rack your brain for and do research on.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
You know, right now I'm really thinking that the answer lies in someone's mental illness. If only one person is left alive, that would be them speaking to him/herself, and therefore committing suicide - sort of like Vera in And Then There Were None. But it also could be that spoiler[someone is faking his or her death, like in the aforementioned novel as well - I'd buy that theory as well.]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
this should not be a spoiler , so I will just say that going by "the rules" once this arc/episode 4 is over everythign shoudl be solvable, ep 5 upwards just gives even more clues so it's easier to solve everything.

that is unless the manga translation somehow managed to mess that up , even the novel translation "mistranslated" one word (in episode 3 I think) which actually amnaged to throw some people off.
JR-1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Just so we're all on the same page here, this omnibus is the middle third of Episode 4. This volume ends with when spoiler[ George and Jessica kills each other. ]

Anyway, a little interesting tidbit for someone who does not read both the novel and the manga...

In the manga, there's a scene where spoiler[ child Ange says to child Maria that Sakutaro is just a doll. This scene does not exist in the novel version. In the novel version after teenage Ange rejects Sakutaro to witch Maria, it immediately cuts into child Maria crying in her room, giving us an impression towards magical explanation that the past and present are somewhat connected. ]This really ties in to the 'multiple interpretation of mystery' theme of the series, that is, unless the one that really knows the truth says it, you can explain whatever happens with anything, including magic. This theme will become much more apparent in Episode 5 (Episode 4 is my favorite episode in the questions arc, but episode 5 is my favorite of the whole series.)
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I really love how you've immediately spoiler[caught on to Ryukishi's little trap] regarding the returning Higurashi characters and readers' expectations from them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1