• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Diana Garnet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This was a very interesting interview, thanks for posting it up ANN. Also one part of the interview got my attention:

ANN and Diana Garnet wrote:
In the past, if you look at some of my older covers before I went pro, I've basically done every genre you can think of. Rap, enka, even some K-Pop stuff.

You know I would love to see that, crossing over to K-pop. She would probably get more international attention (and she can meet her international fans by doing that) if she did crossover to K-pop. From what I've seen, I'm seeing more foreigner in K-pop and some crossover to K-pop. By doing that, they get a lot of attention from K-pop fans around the world given that K-pop's popularity at an all time high, I would say why not take advantage of the K-pop global popularity by crossing over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Diana, thanks for sharing! I clicked the link on the side of the site not knowing if I'd be interested in the interview or not, but I'm really glad I did. There's so much of what Diana said that reminds me of my current path. I can sing, and I always sing in Japanese, too, but I'm certainly not professional-quality, so the only major difference is that I need to find another outlet to allow me to stay in Japan as I pursue my mangaka dream. Which is NOT lame, thank you very much. It's naive to think it's an easy job where you just draw all day, or where all your head stories just pop out on paper, or where our Western work mindset parallels the Japanese work mindset and mangaka have vacations (ha...), but it's NOT lame, and don't you let anyone ever actually tell you that. I did submit to Shounen Jump once, but it was in an international contest and I didn't match up to the actual winners at all. I still have a ways to go.

I, too, wanted to live in Japan before I knew it wasn't the next town over (I was 3 when I first said this). I, too, started my first visit over on a scholarship program at 16 (Ehime). I also went back for a semester at college in Fall 2012 (Shiga). I'm leaving for Japan (Aichi) again in three days for at least a year contract with an Eikaiwa, though I'll be full-time. It would be nice to get to know Diana as a person (rather than as a professional). Maybe if one of us made it big as a mangaka, we could hire the other as an assistant/partner!

Ahahahaha... ha... haaaa...
If only things were that easy... |||OTL
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like something I read about on Encyclopedia Dramatica, only this didn't involve a super weaboo Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
The fact that an Westerner was given the honor/privilege to to sing the OP/ED to any anime is something that so many Western anime fans envy. Good luck!
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The fact that an Westerner was given the honor/privilege to to sing the OP/ED to any anime is something that so many Western anime fans envy. Good luck!

It's not like it's the first time. Wolf's Rain's OP and Gundam X's ED were sung by Westerners.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Joe Inoue is Japanese-American and sang the 4th Shippuden OP. Kylee Saunders sang the Xam'd ED of "Vacancy". Since she grew up in the Phx. Metro area and I live near Glendale, I have an indirect tie to this (of sorts).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

It's not like it's the first time. Wolf's Rain's OP and Gundam X's ED were sung by Westerners.

It's far from the first time. The earliest anime I can think of that featured an OP & ED sung by a Westerner is Super Dimensional Century Orguss in the 80s, which had both themes sung by Kansas-born Casey Rankin in Japanese (he was super big in Japan).
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
A very fun interview, she sounds very energetic. And isn't Killer-Bee's shtick some kind of enka-rap fusion?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
After reading that interview,I hope Miss Garnet decides to become a singer over here. And she does some American animation. I'd love to see her come back to America and does some singing here. I hope she does that someday.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
After reading that interview,I hope Miss Garnet decides to become a singer over here. And she does some American animation. I'd love to see her come back to America and does some singing here. I hope she does that someday.

I'm not sure if that'll happen. A lot of J-music idols/artists doing performance outside of Japan is very rare these day. So I wouldn't get my hope up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
Good interview, except for the fact that Natsume Yūjin-Chō is actually by Brains Base.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
Good interview, except for the fact that Natsume Yūjin-Chō is actually by Brains Base.

I find it interesting/perhaps ironic that Yūjin-Chō's Madara is voiced by the Japanese Kakashi when Kakashi is obviously trying to stop Madara.

If Diana knows about the Naruto manga finale, I wonder what she thinks about the shipping controversy.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

no kidding. and to even sing in japaneese very well is definitely rare. though its as i said before, what's really rare is an US VA that can both dual speak as well as sing in both japaneese and english and the only two american VA that I know of though i could be wrong can do that are Catilin Glass & Vic Mignona. t

he same can be said for the other side cause the only japaneese VA i know of can do the same is Imari Jimja (Super Dimension Macross' Minmay )

Quote:
So... Not really, no, I don't sing in English…By choice. (laughs)

how that is an uber surprise. an US born singer that rarely sings in english by choice. i guess she got "japanized" towards the point that its no longer natural or comfortable to sing in english. at least it not towards the point where its no longer natural or even comfortable to speak in english otherwise she would be completely japanized.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
yeah I'm predictable. I wanted to hear her voice so I went straight to Amzn JP to see if they had any samples listed. Gotta say I don't think that this will be the only CD I buy that features her heartfelt sound. Very Impressed! Looking forward to more. Thanks ANN for these cool interviews.
COVER☆GIRL(初回生産限定盤)(DVD付) (CD+DVD, Limited Edition)
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
…I have been raised with, you know, nerd-ular things.

It's not my Road to Ninja, but my Road to Singer…

Like, it was the shiznit…

Good interview outside of some cringe worthy lines. She should make a decent penny if she gets whatever cut she gets from normal sales, a license fee from the song being on Naruto, and then a royalty like everytime it's broadcast in Japan, streamed online, and then eventually broadcast internationally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2