• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cinedigm to Release Yu-Gi-Oh! Season Sampler DVD Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
I find it odd that the episodes are the main feature and the movie is just a bonus. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
I'm just sitting here, waiting for the day someone decides to finally take a chance on releasing Season Zero...
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
And I can guarantee that the 1st episode of each Yugioh people will like best is DM.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'm just sitting here, waiting for the day someone decides to finally take a chance on releasing Season Zero...

Which will happen the same day they release GX or the original series uncut and subbed.

In other words, the day after I die.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

When you say season 0, are you referring to the very first one where the show was much darker. The reboot that became so popular in the west?
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

When you say season 0, are you referring to the very first one where the show was much darker. The reboot that became so popular in the west?

You're talking about the Toei series, right?

Anyways, legit subtitled releases for Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't completely hopeless (it's not like they haven't tried before), but the truth is if it's not about dueling, it doesn't matter.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

Other than the VHS tapes that came out during it run in Japan, I don't believe Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh! has ever received a modern home video release. Anywhere. They buried that thing.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

20th Anniversary next year. Its then or never I reckon....
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
When you say season 0, are you referring to the very first one where the show was much darker.

Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh series was actually far less dark than the later series. People saying it was too dark to show on TV are probably never saw it and are just going off some random internet rumor they heard. It's extremely campy and goofy to the point they made an airhead ditz like Miho a central character rather than a one shot like in the manga, which is part of the reason it failed so bad. It's like Adam West Batman compared to modern Batman.

And they're never going to release it in America because it wasn't ever released in Japan outside some VHS tapes back in the day, and I believe those were rental only so they're extremely rare and obscure. Toei no longer has the rights to put out releases of it, let alone license it out, and it's not popular enough for them to care to try to work out a deal. It's a failed adaption of the manga that they'd rather keep buried at the end of the day since the later one was much more successful.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
When you say season 0, are you referring to the very first one where the show was much darker.

Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh series was actually far less dark than the later series. People saying it was too dark to show on TV are probably never saw it and are just going off some random internet rumor they heard. It's extremely campy and goofy to the point they made an airhead ditz like Miho a central character rather than a one shot like in the manga, which is part of the reason it failed so bad. It's like Adam West Batman compared to modern Batman.

And they're never going to release it in America because it wasn't ever released in Japan outside some VHS tapes back in the day, and I believe those were rental only so they're extremely rare and obscure. Toei no longer has the rights to put out releases of it, let alone license it out, and it's not popular enough for them to care to try to work out a deal. It's a failed adaption of the manga that they'd rather keep buried at the end of the day since the later one was much more successful.

Well, I'd consider it somewhat dark considering that it wasn't about the card game. It was different games. I guess the only element that was light is the characters involved that were goofy. But for the time. I mean bad guys were paying for their crimes. The one that aired on WB was the one everyone knows alone with GX to Xexal.

If that is how fansubbers managed to get their hands on it then that would make sense.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Other than the VHS tapes that came out during it run in Japan, I don't believe Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh! has ever received a modern home video release. Anywhere. They buried that thing.

which is a shame as i found it much better the the entirety of the yugioh series. yes its not perfect,it had its flaws.

i cant really say the same of the DM series,as it just grows stale rather quickly.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, I'd consider it somewhat dark considering that it wasn't about the card game.

How is it being about a card game affect if it's dark or not? Especially when said card game originated with the aid of killing countless men, women, and children and grinding their flesh and bones down into liquid substance to fill casing molds? I don't really see how playing a card game with monsters and magic is somehow less dark than competing in a steroetpical wacky Japanese gameshow or with a tamagotchi. Besdies, the first series had plenty of episodes involving Duel Monsters, like Kaiba's Four Game Masters.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, I'd consider it somewhat dark considering that it wasn't about the card game.

How is it being about a card game affect if it's dark or not? Especially when said card game originated with the aid of killing countless men, women, and children and grinding their flesh and bones down into liquid substance to fill casing molds? I don't really see how playing a card game with monsters and magic is somehow less dark than competing in a steroetpical wacky Japanese gameshow or with a tamagotchi. Besdies, the first series had plenty of episodes involving Duel Monsters, like Kaiba's Four Game Masters.

Maybe you're not getting what I'm saying. Or maybe I might have worded something wrong. What I'm talking about was the earlier series. I'm talking about how the very first series was portrayed. They weren't using cards. The 'King of Games' in the necklace would play different types of games based on the antagonists actions. And the idea that if you lose you pay the price. So I felt it darker because it was like the antagonist was losing his life. It was the first time I'd had seen that series when compared to Duel Monsters. But I'm sure Duel Monsters had it's dark elements but I've never gotten that far. My thoughts were only on the very first show and that it might have not made it here. But I could be wrong. As they went for something more updated. So I'm talking about how the first series was structured. Not because it had to do with a card game being dark or not. But let's leave it at that. You've already explained what happened to that series and why it's been buried. So that's info that I can use in the long run. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1