• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Blocks Fan Remake of Super Mario 64

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing news.

At the very least, I hope this shows Nintendo that there is demand for an official HD remake of Super Mario 64.
me_barron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Yet another instance of Nintendo top-brass being out of touch with the fans. Thankfully they don't have much longer on this world. Go old age Razz
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
Yet another instance of Nintendo top-brass being out of touch with the fans. Thankfully they don't have much longer on this world. Go old age Razz

I have my doubts cancelling a fan remake is going to hurt them in any way. Companies do it all the time.

-Stuart Smith
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:

It's illegal, Nintendo never approved that. Hurray when stuff like that doesn't take it off, but you can't blame a company for not liking someone ripping off their game. Every company that's still working would do this.

And also, why would anyone want an HD Super Mario 64? Just play the god damn original or DS port. They would have to change so much to make the game presentable now. It would be easier to make an HD remaster of Sunshine lol.
me_barron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
me_barron wrote:

It's illegal, Nintendo never approved that. Hurray when stuff like that doesn't take it off, but you can't blame a company for not liking someone ripping off their game. Every company that's still working would do this.

And also, why would anyone want an HD Super Mario 64? Just play the god damn original or DS port. They would have to change so much to make the game presentable now. It would be easier to make an HD remaster of Sunshine lol.

It was not done for profit. The company was not losing revenue. This kind of thing is more like advertisement than theft. It shows fans enjoying themselves on the company's product, and encourages others to seek out the game. There was nothing illegal done, and many companies look the other way [Sony and Microsoft/XBOX] when fans do this kind of thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
There was nothing illegal done

I guess copyright law isn't 'the law' now.

Microsoft would not look the other way if someone made an HD version of the original Halo and put it up for free.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Microsoft would not look the other way if someone made an HD version of the original Halo and put it up for free.

No, but the Marathon trilogy (with is the Prequel) CAN be downloaded for free. Albeit Nintendo has every legal right to remove said remake, since it is neither costing them a penny (nor the programmer was making a single penny out of his effort) they are shooting themselves in the foot on the long run, since a game company owes itself to its fans. As the japanese would say, they can't read the atmosphere.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
It was not done for profit. The company was not losing revenue. This kind of thing is more like advertisement than theft. It shows fans enjoying themselves on the company's product, and encourages others to seek out the game. There was nothing illegal done, and many companies look the other way [Sony and Microsoft/XBOX] when fans do this kind of thing.

Turns out, they are adding Super Mario 64 DS to the VC on the Wii U, that adds more to this topic. It actually makes sense why it exactly happened now.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Zac wrote:

No, but the Marathon trilogy (with is the Prequel) CAN be downloaded for free. Albeit Nintendo has every legal right to remove said remake, since it is neither costing them a penny (nor the programmer was making a single penny out of his effort) they are shooting themselves in the foot on the long run, since a game company owes itself to its fans. As the japanese would say, they can't read the atmosphere.

Not only that but the BS Zelda games as well. It's free advertisement, good for game preservation, and as long as they aren't making a profit on these games by charging for the download, it should be ok.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
While I completely understand the frustration and disheartening that the copyright notice has caused to all, but Nintendo was justified in ordering the take-down. Had the creator of the fan-made remake of Super Mario 64 distributed the content for free, it would have negatively impacted Nintendo's opportunity for sales with the title, if they were to do a remaking of it sometime in the future.

Who knows; this fan-made remake might have made Nintendo aware that there people out there that want an official HD remake of Super Mario 64. Smile
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo doesn't need free advertising for its games, nor help with 'game preservation'. If anything, Nintendo's properties have arguably the broadest market awareness amongst all gaming companies, and Nintendo is making steps to keeping older properties relevant on modern consoles.

Quote:
since a game company owes itself to its fans

And the other way around too. You pay money to play the game, not to just give money to the company for free. You're getting something out of the company too, people seem to forget too easily that it's a two-way street.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Super Mario 64 was just announced for the Virtual Console in todays Nintendo Direct, so there you go. It does not matter if this fan game is non-profit, it's still competition to Nintendo's release.

And the comment of free advertisement is absurd. Nintendo does not need any free advertisement, much less for their flagship character. Some fans overestimate their importance.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
And the comment of free advertisement is absurd. Nintendo does not need any free advertisement, much less for their flagship character. Some fans overestimate their importance.

Agreed. What's the point of Nintendo needing "free advertising" when virtually the entire world will become readily aware of their titles through the Internet in mere seconds?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Had the creator of the fan-made remake of Super Mario 64 distributed the content for free, it would have negatively impacted Nintendo's opportunity for sales with the title, if they were to do a remaking of it sometime in the future.

This makes absolutely no sense. How is a single level remade into HD going to negatively impact Nintendo's opportunity for the full game.

This is a level. It's a passionate fan's demo. It isn't going to hinder any sales, and saying so is outright foolishness.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
^
Well, let's say Nintendo did decide to allow the HD remake of Super Mario 64 to stay while they're selling the original version of it on Virtual Console.

The person distributing the fan-made HD remake for free would end up attracting far more potential consumers than Nintendo would with theirs sold at a price. This would cause the fan-made remake to be at competition with Nintendo's redistribution of Super Mario 64, thus hampering Nintendo's sales potential. Hence, their request for the fan-made remake to be shut down was justified.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4