• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Snow White with the Red Hair (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote

Snow White with the Red Hair (TV)

Genres: fantasy, romance
Themes: Prince, Apprenticeship, Royalty

Plot Summary: Shirayuki is a beautiful girl working as a medicine woman with red hair, a color that is considered very rare. When she is proposed and chased after by the prince of her country, she cuts her hair and runs away, only to meet Zen, the prince of a neighboring country. Finding respect for the young man, she decides to serve at his side as his court doctor.

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNo5n_XmA2I&feature=youtu.be
----------------------------------

The announcement for this adaptation didn't surprise me tbh. This would of gotten adaptation in some form someday. What did surprise me is the fact that Bones is going to adapt this as their third show of the year. Translated to also known as 'Red-haired Snow White Princess', this series looks very promising. Even the preview itself has vibrant colors and I think the voice cast fits for the main leads.

This reminds somewhat of Akatsuki no Yona though with the style of the show as well. I'm really hoping Bones adapt this faithfully and also with a 2 cour. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
I really can't wait for this one. The prince looks absolutely adorable. :>
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
[...]
Haven't read the manga but the preview video seems promising. Most of the voice actors are well-known including one of my favorites Akira Ishida and the fact Studio BONES is animating the project gives me high hopes. Great to see more historical fantasy type shows in anime esp. when the main heroine appears competent and headstrong.

[...]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Good episode. The artwork/visual is magnification from the start in the forest.

Shirayuki displays a good amount of intelligence related to medicine. Then, there's also Zen's introduction into this series. I find that they have an amusing chemistry already. Show has been confirmed as 2 cour already so expecting more story development.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Not bad. I like the fact we didn't have to spend 10 minutes learning about the way the world works in flash backs or whatever like Rokka. Given the preview for the next episode, I hope we get to see the love rival and the kidnapper.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

The fear I can have in some anime along these lines is that the heroine might have no backbone, and does whatever the prince character says, where she is a pretty face. The show starting with her excitedly picking herbs over flowers, and showing that she has the brains to help people. She shows a healthy respect for lords of the land by saying what the bastard prince wants is kind of bad for his own reputation, but more than anything she spends her time helping the people once more and then runs away. She does not want to become some concubine so she runs towards another country.

That she has a proper prince love that she can follow, makes a little worried, but next to the other guy we can see that he is a good guy, and clearly she won't be afraid to leave if he does turn out to be not that good. I am kind of reminded of The World Is Still Beautiful, in that I like what I see so far. I like me a strong heroine, and Shirayuki looks like what I would call a strong heroine, and still she does not look prickly either.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
This was a really great introductory episode--giving us good look into the heroine in the first 5 minutes and gives her enough character to leave the potential for interesting plots, as the rest of the episode demonstrates.

I think the part that I like the most about Shirayuki is that she has her own wishes and the ability to stand for herself. I was initially apprehensive about her accepting Zen's offer, but on second thought it is not a bad thing at all: She decided to follow him because she respects and likes him, not because she had no choice. The ending sequence makes me highly hopeful: It seems that she will have her own function in court as the court physician, and judging by Zen's decision to build up resistance to poison, it is a role that is much needed among Zen's court.

I think the last part is one the greatest advantages this series has over The World Is Still Beautiful. For all the spunk and personality that Nike has, she is superfluous. Livius turns to her from time to time for emotional support, but she serves no other practical function. She is, in a sense, trapped in a gilded cage, even though she does not feel so. The last part of the final episode highlighted this problem, with spoiler[Nike more or less reduced to listlessness while Livius was out on a campaign.]

And the animation and artwork are both gorgeous, qualities that the similar Earl and Fairy unfortunately lacked.

Strong start to a series. I have high hopes for it.

DuskyPredator wrote:
and still she does not look prickly either.

Strong willed heroine who isn't a tsundere=rare breed among shoujo protagonists
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Changed thread name to match the ANN encyclopaedia name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I like this (maybe not as much as The World is Beautiful first ep) but it gives me good feelings. Characters are likeable and the background looks so so beautiful. I will see where this story goes.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
Lots of fantasy anime this summer season..
Very informative anime about plants.
After reading the plot I wasn't impressed.
Still decided to give the 1st ep a try.
I like Zen & Shirayuki ^^
But don't know what to make of this anime..
Too early to decide, will give it more time.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
good start gonna keep watching through
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a good "slice-of-life-ish" type shoujo. As I predicted, I'm really liking Zen. :3

I recognized Shirayuki as "Shinoa" immediately. Anime hyper

There are a lot of shoujo series that have "heroine running away from engagement with jerk she doesn't want and meets new love"....but I haven't actually watched or read that many with this plot...so this will feel a little refreshing to me.

I think other people watching (ESPECIALLY guys) will really approve that the heroine is clearly choosing a nicer guy to be with over the jerk this time.

Because I hear that complaint all too often. Anime hyper
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I think other people watching (ESPECIALLY guys) will really approve that the heroine is clearly choosing a nicer guy to be with over the jerk this time.

Because I hear that complaint all too often. Anime hyper

Shirayuki's choosing Zen over Raj is neither unexpected nor rare. The jerk that shoujo heroines tend to choose is rarely a lecherous dandy like Raj. Rather, the jerk's problem manifests itself in other ways: being too much on the tsun side, being too controlling, being somewhat of a yandere, and the like. For example, spoiler[Tsukushi choosing Tsukasa over Rui] in Boys Over Flowers, spoiler[Mikan choosing Natsume over Ruka] in Alice Academy, or spoiler[Noel choosing Miyu over Sasa] in Mint na Bokura.

Quote:
I recognized Shirayuki as "Shinoa" immediately. Anime hyper

I neither recognized the voice nor read the list of voice actors, which is a good thing, because I had the opportunity to get attached to Shirayuki without associating her with that awful character. Then again, it's not Ms. Hayami's fault that she got cast as that character.

MikaYuu!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Shinoa Hiiragi is AWESOME; shut your blasphemous mouth at once.

Twisted Evil

Quote:
The jerk that shoujo heroines tend to choose is rarely a lecherous dandy like Raj.

Ehhh....I think some shoujo jerks are major perverts who treat women like toys. >_>

.....though if I run into one of those, I normally drop the thing like a stone. YEAH, MAYU SHINJO AND MINAMI KANAN, I'M TALKING 'BOUT YOU.

As far as Mikan's choice though....spoiler[Natsume's the only one who stepped forward and told her his feelings. Ruka refused to say anything for Natsume's sake. It's only until Mikan's final day at the academy that he FINALLY confesses to her. She had only seen him as a friend the whole time anyway.]
Tachibana actually writes in the final volume that she WOULD have liked Mikan spoiler[to choose Ruka...."but Natsume basically just took over somehow". Anime hyper] That sounds crazy....but I believe it. Characters get a mind of their own sometimes. I liked him best so I don't mind. He acted like a jerk a lot...but he was still likable for me.
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
For example, spoiler[Tsukushi choosing Tsukasa over Rui] in Boys Over Flowers

Uh, it would be foolish for Tsukushi to choose Rui who always pines for Shizuka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10