• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strike Tanaka's Servamp Manga Gets Anime Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Heh, a shoujo vampire series. This could be fun. I'm expecting a 1-cour adaptation though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
I'm all for more shoujo anime. Very Happy
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
Whoa, seriously? This really caught me by surprise, does it sell that well?
But i'm glad tho, i picked the manga to read some years ago and it was kinda fun to read, can't wait to see the anime.
noobster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Heh, a shoujo vampire series. This could be fun. I'm expecting a 1-cour adaptation though.

phoenixalia wrote:

It's not a shoujo, it's shounen. This one really caught me of guard because online update is slow because it was licensed.
Hongu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
noobster wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

phoenixalia wrote:

It's not a shoujo, it's shounen. This one really caught me of guard because online update is slow because it was licensed.
It's published in a shoujo magazine. It's a shoujo.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
Technically, if you want to be pedantic, neo-shounen as a genre would be categorized under josei, not shoujo. (I'm aware that it makes no sense.)

Magazines such as Comic Gene, Comic Zero-Sum, GFantasy, Aria and Wings are not aimed at "girls", but to women aged 16-30. There are individual differences, of course.

It's just that people usually associate the word "josei" with office romances and manga about sex and eating disorders, so nobody calls them that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
Looking up neo-shounen, I don't know why you classify under josei.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
Doesn't surprise me. I was expecting it actually.

I've only read the first volume. It wasn't bad, but the pacing was everywhere. I'm hoping it settles down or at least the anime adaptation fixes it.

Good for Seven Seas, though. Hopefully they'll see in uptick in sales.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
This is shoujo? I couldn't tell from the premise. And here I thought it was going to be another action-supernatural kind of thing.
Rufifox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
This is shoujo? I couldn't tell from the premise. And here I thought it was going to be another action-supernatural kind of thing.

It IS a supernatural action manga. They call it a shoujo manga just because it runs in a shoujo magazine, but it goes along the lines of a shounen one. Kinda weird.
Jelly Beans

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Finally!! Even though this manga is considered shoujo, it really does feel more like a shounen supernatural manga. The premise is there and it's full of action. The pacing was kinda all over the place but I still love it. Hope they do this wonderful manga justice and not give it some kind of 'original plot.' Smile
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Shounen manga for female audiences. I'm all for it~. Lol, I get the confusion for the Western audience too. I agree with ptj_tsubasa, though. (Especially about the ways josei is stereotyped and why things get confusing.)

As long as it is shoujo, josei or with that audience in mind, I'll give it a shot. x'D
I like the main character's design, so if nothing else, I may watch for that, lol.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Rufifox wrote:
It IS a supernatural action manga. They call it a shoujo manga just because it runs in a shoujo magazine, but it goes along the lines of a shounen one. Kinda weird.

People might still think it's weird that there are series aimed at females that are about something else than romance, but it's not rare by any means.

Lots of works from magazines like this have been made into anime lately. Devils and Realist, No. 6, Donten ni Warau and Karneval come to mind immediately. Kuroshitsuji, Loveless, Saiyuki and Pandora Hearts are well-known classics, while stuff like 07-Ghost and Nabari no Ou came and went without making a big splash. Despite that they are all fantasy-action works aimed at females, even if people have missed the "aimed at females" part.

(There are also comedy series running in the same magazines, like Cuticle Detective Inaba, Strange+ and Orefuro.)
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
^
As a side note, Black Butler, Nabari no Ou, and Saiyuki run/ran in shounen mags. Even if they were undoubtedly female friendly and larger hits with that demographic. (And later installments of Saiyuki were in josei magazines; the series itself was different atmosphere-wise than when it started, too.) Demographics are the best metric when assigning labels to series, but there's lots of crossover.

I'm wondering why people are thrown off specifically by Servamp, though, when we've had anime adaptations of action shoujo/josei even recently. Is it the art style?
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
As far as I know, GFantasy's self-proclaimed target audience is "middle and high school aged males and females", at least currently. So I don't think you can really call it a shounen magazine, at least in the traditional sense.

Though I do agree that neo-shounen magazines exist on a scale. GFantasy is certainly "more shounen" than Zero-Sum and Gene, which in turn are more shounen than Avarus and Aria. Asuka is in the tail end, hardly qualifying except for some series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1