• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Old Toys Club

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
For the sake of the record, it must be said that Voyager's StarBlazers 2199 was in fact released on BD. Not just on DVD. I'm painfully aware of that fact, since I bought those four BDs myself and will forever feel disappointed at not being able to have the last two volumes without importing them from Japan.

Other than that, the episode was entertaining. Not much of a "true" collector myself compared to any of these gentlemen though. I have enough trouble finding enough room for my discs as things stand. There woudn't be much space for toys and related merchandise.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't have the huge of a collection to be giving it away anytime. Maybe in the next 10 years probably. I'm just getting started and I'm going to keep collecting for a good long while.
amagee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I dread listening to this. It could make me feel guilty about my anime collectible spending.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
It was a bit like AA for collectors. <-jk

"Hi, my name is Joe and I'm a recovering collector. I knew I hit rock bottom when I realized that I was like a gold fish that couldn't stop consuming." Wink

All joking aside much of what was said definitely strikes a cord and I've had similar experiences with knowing people who have passed on and have left behind all this stuff that their family and loved ones struggle to go thru. Sometimes they collected antique furniture, sometimes it was artwork, sometimes it was stuff that they created with their own hands. Once you get to a certain age you realize you have all this stuff that can be burdensome to keep and lug around when you move and then it also might become a burden for loved ones when you pass away.

It is also true for me that once you get too much stuff (and the exact quantity probably varies with the individual) you don't have as much time to pay attention to the items or things that have real meaning or value for you (I don't spend enough time with my favorites because of all the new stuff). I try to trim my anime collection a little every year by some of the same methods as the guests. Does this anime/manga/book/comic still give me a special feeling for me or am I hanging on to it out of inertia?

It was a good podcast and comes at a good time. I now feel a little motivated to look at some of my stuff and see if there's anything I can trim from what I own before the holidays are upon us.
DK1105

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
This was really interesting for me because I'm a 25 year old game collector with a collection of over 800 physical games spanning from the early 70's till current. My general rule is to always remember that in the end this is all just stuff and all fits on a flash drive. One thing I do a lot is randomly pull a game from one of the shelves kinda how you would rent a game for the weekend or introduce people to random games that people have never heard of. Personally I have never understood the kind of collectors that seal something away never to be seen again.

I have a few other side collections like records and laserdisc but by no means to they time or money my main collection does.

I like Zac's one item idea and I have kinda been doing that myself for non gaming things.

Currently I have been looking for something from the Space Runaway Ideon that fits the bill for me. I recently bought a small Vifam figure on a random crunchyroll sale and I am kinda convinced I am one of maybe 3 people who took them up on that deal.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'm a little over a half hour into this (where Tim refers to turning 50 and losing friends) and so much of this is already ringing true to me now in my late 30s. I have giant tubs of old Transformers toys and I know I need to eventually dive into them, catalog them, and start selling them off. It's daunting work, but I'd hate to leave that to someone else or imagine that early lifetime's worth of stuff ending up in a landfill somewhere.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
You had to go there. Evil or Very Mad This really struck a nerve with me. I just turned 70 and the mortality thing is right in my face. Unfortunately I have also reached the point where I don't have the energy to deal with piecemeal sales, E-bay or otherwise.

Donation is probably my best bet, but where do you donate a dozen boxes of manga in comic book form, probably a couple thousand issues. I doubt even the Rescue Mission would be able to sell them. They will probably end up in a landfill.

I have tried, in a small way, to give some stuff away in the Community forum. But there are some things you can't even give away. Speaking of which, Zac, I still have way too many EVAs. Very Happy
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
^Library. My local libraries have sales 3-4 times a year, so if they're able to make some money off of my donations then that's great. If not, then it was probably destined to go for the junkyard anyways. The library tends to be where I take mine if I don't want to go through the effort of selling them or taking them to friends. I've gotten rid of several manga volumes like that. Also, I was totally thinking of you this entire episode, Alan. You're welcome to put me into your will for your Garden of Sinners collector's edition release. Wink

The rate that I accumulate things (approx. 1 anime release per month and 3 manga volumes per month) is greater than the rate that I get rid of stuff, but I'm still actively getting rid of things. Just this year I've sold 6 anime and 2 manga series. In fact, I had a garage sale last weekend where I sold 3 of those anime (Kimi ni Todoke limited edition part 1, Le Chevalier d'Eon, Martian Successor Nadesico) and 1 of the manga series (5 volumes of Paradise Kiss) for a total of $20. They could have sold more other places, but I don't really care much about the price. They're gone off my shelves, they've made someone else happy, and I get a little bit more spending money, so I think I've made off great.

There are several other things on the docket to get rid of. Mostly, I just need to finish watching or reading the series. If I paid for it, I feel the need to at least get my money's worth by getting through the series at least once. Since I'm not hurting for space yet, I still feel like I can take this attitude with what I've purchased. There are other series that I really liked several years ago, but since then I've seen so many other series that overshadow those, so my opinion of them have gone down. I want to try to give them a rewatch, and if I don't care for them then I'll just get rid of them as well.

I never really got into figure collecting myself. I have a few plushes and 3-4 figures given to me by friends (and 1 I bought myself), but otherwise I don't have many toys. Most collectibles I get come from collector's editions nowadays. I do have some nice wall scrolls though that I like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
@willag

I went the library route when I decided to get rid of the manga anthologies I had accumulated. My local branch library actually had a manga club and the guy who ran it implied they would use them. I didn't join that club as he informed me that most of the members were teen or pre-teen girls and people would have gotten the wrong idea. Unfortunately they closed that branch to rebuild it and it may be a couple of years before it opens again.

I could probably hunt the guy down in the system, but I doubt there is any local market for the manga in comic book form. They don't take up that much space so I don't want to give them away just to have them pulped. Hopefully someone will decide to study manga in the US for that period. I just hope I can find him.

The anime I have is not a problem as I still have display space. Manga in graphic novel form is a storage problem as are figures but I'm not yet prepared to give up everything. That means digging out the storage boxes and making decisions.

I probably have enough anime posters to paper a couple large rooms (even some 3X3 Eyes posters). I would hang more of them up but all my wall space is covered by shelves and display cabinets. Again not a problem as they are all in a single cabinet and no one is offering posters anymore.

Oh, concerning GoS LE. My wife gets everything. On the other hand she doesn't like to watch subtitles stuff. Unfortunately you may have to take a number. Laughing There will probably be several people looking for the Maison Ikkoku DVDs also, unless it comes out on Bluray in the interim.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
My collection consists of both anime production and original sketches from the animation staff and mangaka themselves. I'm under no illusion that they'll be worth what I paid. However, I'd like to hope that several of the museums in my area, particularly the San Francisco Cartoon Art Museum or the Asian Art Museum, would be interested in the collection. I'd be more than willing to donate them as long as they'll be well preserved and viewed by others.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a huge collection of anime figures, most of it can fit on one shelf. I am a toy collector, but mostly Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Greenlight and the like, which is beyond the scope of this forum.

The one collection I have that I've been entertaining the idea of downsizing just a little is my videogame collection, which dates back to the Sega Master System era and even beyond, if you include Vic-20 cartridges as videogames. There is one local company, Throne of Games (yeah, clever wordplay, I know), that pays probably about as much as I could reasonably hope to get per game without the hassle of selling online.

The main issue is that most of the games I'd be fine with selling are in the sub-$10, and usually, sub-$5 range, whereas almost all of the games I have that are worth a "significant" amount of money (i.e. the $20 to $30 range) are precisely the genre of games that I am least inclined to sell, JRPGs. So, I'm still only entertaining the idea of selling some games as I'm not sure I'd be willing to part with enough games to make it worth the buyer's trouble coming to my house to pick them up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I started massively downsizing my stuff a couple of years ago.
I stopped once the bulk of it was gone and it started to get really inconvenient to have to check my email every day on the off-chance that something sold.

I still have a bunch of DVDs of shows that I don't really care about (and in some cases, haven't even gotten around to watching) that need to go, and while I don't have too many figures, I could probably stand to cull the collection a bit.

I also find myself wishing that my video game collection took up less space. I don't have any systems older than the PS3, but it still feels like a lot of clutter.

I'll probably be moving to a smaller place soon, and plan on putting everything but the essentials in storage.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
My collection is something that I will never get rid of: The sheer joy given to me by the things that I've collected, over the years, is something that I want to keep.

I've been collecting things since I was young; I've got Precious Moments dolls, collectible Barbies, figurines, My Little Pony stuff from all eras; I've kept quite a bit of the toys that I had when I was a kid: There was no definitive moment when I began collecting as an adult because it slid quite easily over the years from asking for, or just being given, things to being able to buy them myself, and still asking, of course, because birthdays and Christmas still exist, post-childhood.

I went through my impulse buying period as a teenager because that is the time when you finally have money and don't always have to ask Mom and Dad if you want to get something. That impulse was something, however, that never extended to collectibles, so I don't have $60 dolls that I regretted buying, and died with adulthood as I moved on to making sure that impulsive purchases extended to magazines and never to what I couldn't afford.

Most of my not-in-regular-use collection is dolls and figurines; They're treated as part of the regular decor; I dust them with everything else, and I never do the house in one go so there's no 'curator fatigue'. The in-regular-use stuff, such as movies and books, are LOW maintenance as taking care of my stuff was fed to me with my pabulum; I have 30-year-old videos that still work.

Collecting doesn't affect my life; It's simply buying a movie on DVD because I want to own it forever or buying earrings because I think that they're gorgeous.

Now, obviously, everyone is different, and is entitled to their emotions and perspectives, and I respect that but the idea that a collection of anything needs to be pared down is foreign to me. When I buy or receive non-transient things, I expect to keep them for life and generally do; Why buy books or movies or figurines if you're just going to get rid of them?

I would be heartbroken if I ever had to lose the things that I've collected over the years: Each piece is beautiful( That's why I wanted it) and each piece has its place in my soul. The things that I have are a part of me, and I want to have them all the way to the end, and I know that the people who love me will want that touchstone when I am gone; I certainly know that I will want theirs.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Well, nice to see someone posting here older than myself (67, at the moment).

I can relate to everything on topic today re collecting. I've been a collector since age 5 when my aunt bought me an American Flyer S-gauge train set back in 1953 and I come from a long line of collector-hoarder-antique-junque collector/dealers on my mother's side so it would appear I was pre-destined to be doomed as a collector maniac from the start.

At 67 there are a few things I presupposed at younger ages that I'm glad, looking back, I didn't do. One was waiting until age 70 to downsize. Back when I was in my 40's my target age to cease acquiring was 70. Even after reading Gail Sheehy's tome Predictable Crises of Adult Life for post-graduate study when I was 38 (which suggested people in their fifth and sixth decade focused on downsizing, letting go) I thought she was misinformed as I sure as Hell had no intention of falling in that pattern then.

Long story short: after 5 decades collecting brass HO-trains and diecast trucks profusely (thanks to living single) while watching all my single male friends die off like dinosaurs or go slowly mad from loneliness and inactivity it became apparent that unless I changed certain habits I was certain to follow the same trail. Collections are great eye candy but the temporal satisfaction having them is fleeting. Stuff will never replace the intrinsic value of friends. Realizing this over time I began to fathom why my aunt, who never married and was in her 70's when she learned she had cancer, chose to die quietly via that route rather than do something about defeating it.

Since my marriage to a great gal who is not a collector my life has been upside down ever since. Believe me when I say I have no regrets making that life choice; it's the best decision I ever made in my entire life.

Before connecting with her my 2400 sq ft house with 2-car garage was the epitome of a psuedo-museum. The garage served as a warehouse, on-site storage unit housing the overflow of diecast trucks in my collection due to space shortage inside the house. The 8-person spa was a PIA to clean and maintain so it became a quasi-closet for the empty truck boxes that did get displayed. The home had 4 showers of which 2 were converted into diecast truck box storage units...just don't turn on the water. The great room and master bedroom were lined with 3/4-inch white slat wall and SW22 acrylic shoe holders: terrific for displaying hundreds of DCP, PEM 1/64th scale diecast trucks. A second bedroom got the N-gauge train layout in the center while the train locomotives and cars filled that closet, shower stall. Did I mention the 5 cats also?

Ebay: forced choice. I tried to sell my diecast & train collection as 1 via a collector magazine. There were no comers. The 1 or 2 people that did express interest basically wanted me to "gift" it to them. Auction houses want an exacting inventory of which I have none. I did try 3 different times to assemble such but at my age, hell with it. It's too much trouble describing exact condition. Evil or Very Mad

Several years ago I tried 1 local E-store (SW Mizzou, not here) to unload the diecast and 1 Ebay seller (also SW Mizzou where I used to reside) to push the model trains. Ugh! Relying on third parties got inconsistent results re cash flow and perpetually late checks.

I've been an ebay seller since 2005. Though I was hesitant initially my sales results have been magical. It's a worldwide audience. I do take into account my buyers' cash flow and post accordingly. Although it took awhile my brass train collection is 85% gone. I resorted to the diecast trucks 1 year ago because I got tired losing 60% my invested value on the N-gauge train sales.

Some of you mentioned that Ebay is hell on sellers and I have to agree. Thankfully, my background and life history as a rabid collector has already gifted me latent sado-masochistic tendencies so all is well re chargebacks, buyer remorse re returns, plus the latest scheme that gives winning bidders the ability to experience the emphemeral high winning, then suffering zero consequence cancelling that winning bid after the sale. A seller can only block so many of these thrill-seeking idiots before sales evaporate. Biggest ebay regret: disposing of the diecast truck boxes because 1) I'll never sell this stuff, 2) I needed the room. It's time-consuming jury-rigging packaging techniques that reduce brokage of sold loose items. I guess that decade hauling HHG items nationwide back in the day has become useful after all.

I currently collect anime figurines and order most of these straight from Japan. Compared to the die cast rigs the PVC queens are cute and light. Gravity does not favor aging collectors well, especially when a flight of stairs is involved. I'm thinking about the 7th, possibly 8th decade collecting. I do not want to be disposing the prototype train and streetcar collectibles then.....which I also have a lot of. Crying or Very sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, die cast, I forgot about that. In one corner of the storage room is a whole collection of Texaco trucks and Airplanes also a large number of McFarland dragons, dozens of figures associated with US comics (Buffy mostly) and a whole rack of traditional games including the chess sets and checker sets my father gave me when he got too old to collect.

And, my wife is trying to down size her collection of dolls, mostly Barbie. Our executors will have a problem. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3