Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ace Attorney 6 Game Announced for 3DS


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Frostedfirefly



Joined: 18 May 2015
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:10 am Reply with quote
Was still hoping DGS would get localised first before any news of another game really but I guess Capcom still doesn't think it's western fans are loyal enough... :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cosain



Joined: 29 Apr 2009
Posts: 317
Location: Sydney
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
if coming to the west (esp for pal release) pls dont be digital !!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LinkSword



Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
cosain wrote:
if coming to the west (esp for pal release) pls don't be digital !!!!


I'll be happy if it gets here at all. The franchise's situation in the west is not so great that retail releases should be expected.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver4000



Joined: 07 Aug 2015
Posts: 181
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
Wow I'm surprised that we are getting a 6th one.
Since they were doing the spin off I thought that the main series would be forgotten and we would get a new trilogy with the spin off.

Though, they announced it and theres already a demo for TGS? Hm... for how long did they had this one up on their sleeves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Glacialis



Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Silver4000 wrote:
Wow I'm surprised that we are getting a 6th one.
Since they were doing the spin off I thought that the main series would be forgotten and we would get a new trilogy with the spin off.

Though, they announced it and theres already a demo for TGS? Hm... for how long did they had this one up on their sleeves.


If I remember correctly, the team that worked on AA5 was working separately on AA6, while there was a separate team headed by Takumi that worked on DGS, which resulted in these games being finished relatively closer to each other than the normal 2-3 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpacemanHardy



Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 2424
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
The game has been confirmed for a Western release:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/91084/ace-attorney-6-announced-for-3ds-confirmed-for-western-release

Quote:
Capcom has confirmed with Shacknews Ace Attorney 6 will be receiving a western release. The company says, "Ace Attorney 6 (working title) will be coming to the west. We’ll have more information on the Western release soon."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
falcon.punch



Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 692
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Nice!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
championferret



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 765
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
To be honest learning this was the same writer as the 5th game kind of killed my excitement. That game had its moments but overall it was a bit of a chore to get through, and Ace Attorney should NEVER feel like a chore Sad
(also what does this writer have against Maya?? They seriously brought back almost every character from the first 4 games except her. Even Pearl appears and she doesn't.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3872
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Frostedfirefly wrote:
Was still hoping DGS would get localised first before any news of another game really but I guess Capcom still doesn't think it's western fans are loyal enough... :/


These games don't exactly sell out whenever they drop on the market hence why the 5th game was a digital release and why the LaytonXSaiban game was done by Nintendo.

championferret wrote:
To be honest learning this was the same writer as the 5th game kind of killed my excitement. That game had its moments but overall it was a bit of a chore to get through, and Ace Attorney should NEVER feel like a chore Sad


The game is text based with some puzzle solving elements.......you don't consider playing through a game with elements such as those a chore?

championferret wrote:
(also what does this writer have against Maya?? They seriously brought back almost every character from the first 4 games except her. Even Pearl appears and she doesn't.)


Pearl at least had an excuse to show up in the fifth game. With Maya's role already being filled by much more useful characters I don't honestly see any point in bringing her back into the series nor what purpose she would serve outside of being a murder suspect for the umpteenth time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
championferret



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 765
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
That's not a good excuse. Phoenix and Maya are meant to be best friends, and it makes no sense for her to suddenly not exist. It's bad writing and having the other characters show up solely for the sake of giving them cameos just draws more attention to it.

Also I like reading games, the chore is mustering up the energy to give a damn about the outcome of some of the cases, because most of the ones in game 5 just weren't interesting to me at all. In the first three I'd be at the edge if my seat, unable to put the game down without finding out what happened next. The recent games I have to drag myself through, and some of the chapters the reward for getting a chapter done was not the fact that the mystery would be solved, but the fact that the chapter was finally done with.
(Also, this isn't the fault of the Japanese team at all but I hate how little the western release gave a damn. Download only, bland dub on the cutscenes with no option for the original voices (I'm pretty sure the end credits had 2 voice actors in total, one female and one male?? Correct me if I'm wrong someone but that's pretty lame. I'm only really bringing this up since game6 is already confirmed for a western release and I just hope they care more this time.)

I understand if the original writer wanted to quit while he was ahead but unless the newer one steps up their game I don't really want to remember this series as being mediocre.


Also...they don't sell out?? Things must have really changed because I remember the first three were notoriously difficult to find after release.


Last edited by championferret on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3872
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
That's not a good excuse. Phoenix and Pearl are meant to be best friends, and it makes no sense for her to suddenly not exist.

Which is strange for two reasons one Phoenix & Pearl (assuming you meant Maya) are never portrayed as being "best friends"spoiler[ Their relationship seems more based out of dedication to the fact that Maya is the sister of Phoenix's deceased mentor.
]

Second 4 & 5 both mention her in dialog so I don't know where you're getting this idea that they're basically treating her as if she doesn't exist.

championferret wrote:

It's bad writing and having the other characters show up solely for the sake of giving them cameos just draws more attention to it.


So is having Maya return without a proper storyline reason unlike Ema & Pearl who show up in the 4th and fifth game with valid reasons.

championferret wrote:
The recent games I have to drag myself through, and some of the chapters the reward for getting a chapter done was not the fact that the mystery would be solved, but the fact that the chapter was finally done with.


Sounds like you're complaining about the cases having overarching elements.....which is something that was introduced in the third game and seemingly disregards the fact that the second and third cases had virtually no ties to the other 4 cases in the game.

championferret wrote:

(Also, this isn't the fault of the Japanese team at all but I hate how little the western release gave a damn. Download only,


Of course it's going to have a digital release if the publisher doesn't feel like throwing millions of dollars into a physical copy few people will buy in a particular region.


championferret wrote:

bland dub on the cutscenes with no option for the original voices


None of the Saiban games outside of the Japanese version of the DS remakes have featured the ability to play with the english or Japanese voices this really shouldn't have surprised you.


championferret wrote:

(I'm pretty sure the end credits had 2 voice actors in total, one female and one male?? Correct me if I'm wrong someone but that's pretty lame. I'm only really bringing this up since game6 is already confirmed for a western release and I just hope they care more this time.)


Doubtful for the reasons already mentioned previously.


championferret wrote:

I understand if the original writer wanted to quit while he was ahead but unless the newer one steps up their game I don't really want to remember this series as being mediocre.


None of those things you mentioned will lead to it being remembered as such though.....due to them coming off kind of petty and personal grievances.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
championferret



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 765
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I honestly have no idea why you feel the need to tear down any criticism against the game as though your opinion is the 'correct' one. You keep trying to tie any criticism I have to previous games, an approach that makes no sense because the first 3 had a different writer. It makes sense that the newer ones would be different - I can accept that, but I can still critique them.

Maya is very clearly a good friend of Phoenix's. Why else does he keep her around? Why else does he worry about her? She's a huge part of his life and even if she wasn't, her popularity with the fanbase can't be ignored. Not bringing her back just seems like capcom shooting themselves in the foot to me.
I dont know why you think choosing certain characters to appear as opposed to Maya is more 'valid'. They could have just as easily had it been Maya instead of Pearl, they could have easily WRITTEN a purpose in for her, but they deliberately chose not to include her. It was the writers that decided that Maya wouldn't have a purpose or even a cameo, not the actual characters of the game. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. Several of the other characters do absolutely nothing in game 5 except make you say 'hey, its him/her!' so Maya's absence is almost suspicious. It got to the point where I expected it was intentional and it was leading into something bigger in the final case but...nope.

My dislike of the cases in the recent games has nothing to do with 'overarching plotlines'. It's a personal preference. The actual stories just don't interest me and the characters I found dull at best and aggravating at worst (not that I'm denying this happened in the original trilogy, I still think the circus case is the worst in the entire series).

Regaridng the voices...the first 3 didn't have cutscenes and there were maybe 4 words actually 'spoken', so any critique against the quality doesn't count. If a game is going to have voiced anime cutscenes - as in, enough that 'anime cutscenes' is an option menu where you can rewatch them, they're an aspect of a game worth mentioning in a review. That's all. It would be like saying 'there's no point in critiquing/praising the Mega Evolution aspect of Pokemon because it wasnt in previous games'. I don't know why you're trying to tie back every grievance I have to the old games, but the new games are so different that this approach of yours doesn't make any sense.

This is a ridiculously pedantic argument so I'm not going to continue it. I only wanted to say that I was disappointed at the recent games not having the same magic as the original ones, if you disagree thats your own opinion but don't act like my criticism isnt valid. If you really like the newer games then power to you, not everyone has to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3872
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I honestly have no idea why you feel the need to tear down any criticism against the game as though your opinion is the 'correct' one.


I have nothing against your opinions they're just a bit misinformed,petty, and shaky at times.

championferret wrote:
You keep trying to tie any criticism I have to previous games, an approach that makes no sense because the first 3 had a different writer.


Shu Takumi had a hand in writing all but the fifth game. And if you didn't research the game you'd not know it was written by someone else.

championferret wrote:

Maya is very clearly a good friend of Phoenix's. Why else does he keep her around?


If we're talking plot wise - As I said before it's a favor to Mia nothing more, nothing less.

If we're talking realistically - Because someone determined that the main character needed a younger, perky, & somewhat naive supporting character to serve as a foil.....despite said character being useless most of the time.

championferret wrote:

Why else does he worry about her? She's a huge part of his life and even if she wasn't, her popularity with the fanbase can't be ignored. Not bringing her back just seems like capcom shooting themselves in foot to me.


I don't know to many people who played these games for the weirdly dressed, raven haired, mystic who occasionally could summon the spirit of her dead older sister and frequently got accused of murdering someone. And whose role in the series has been taken over by largely more likable and better characters.

championferret wrote:

I don't know why you think choosing certain characters to appear as opposed to Maya is more 'valid'. They could have just as easily had it been Maya instead of Pearl,


So Maya spontaneously Chaperons trips to Aquarium's when she's not busy training to enhance her channeling powers?

championferret wrote:

they could have easily WRITTEN a purpose in for her, but they deliberately chose not to include her. It was the writers that decided that Maya wouldn't have a purpose


As I said before Maya hardly ever had a purpose to start with aside from needing Phoenix to help her beat a murder charge or to occasionally summon Mia for some reason the latter of which saw Pearl doing it instead.

championferret wrote:
I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.


Maybe I just don't see the appeal of a largely meaningless supporting character and why some people think she's some sort of necessity to the series when the series itself gave her closure and accordingly moved on without her.

championferret wrote:

If a game is going to have voiced anime cutscenes - as in, enough that 'anime cutscenes' is an option menu where you can rewatch them, they're an aspect of a game worth mentioning in a review. That's all.


Not if you're mentioning them for the sake of overblowing how bad you think they are because they've been dubbed in filthy English with no way to switch over to the glorious Japanese dub. Where incidentally the name of characters, places, and things are different from the english version and would be inaccurately translated because of it.


championferret wrote:

It would be like saying 'there's no point in critiquing/praising the Mega Evolution aspect of Pokemon because it wasnt in previous games'


That's not comparable in anyway to what you're complaining about.
You're complaining about a Japanese game, that's been translated into english not having a feature that let's you watch it's cutscenes in Japanese eventhough historically this series has never had such a feature when being localized and never will......and in spite of the fact that Youtube's a thing if you're that desperate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
championferret



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 765
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:49 am Reply with quote
Since you still seem to think your opinion on video games = fact no matter how many times I try to explain that it isn't and neither is mine, I'm done with replying to you or attempting to correct things you are continuing to misconstrue about what I've said. If it clarifies anything, I never said I outright hated/disliked game5, just that I had personal issue with it. Amazingly, its possible to like things while still finding fault with them. It would be petty to dislike the entire game for the reasons I described. But you're straight up inventing things about what I said now. Later, dude.

----

Regarding the game itself - has anything been yet revealed about what it means here by 'entry's new system of gameplay', or is that for people at TGS to discover? I have a feeling it will just be another gimmick like the 'mood sensor' thing in AA5, but I actually liked that gimmick, so I'm interested in what the new one could be.
EDIT- looks like ANN's newest article sheds light on this, I'm intrigued.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3872
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Since you still seem to think your opinion on video games = fact no matter how many times I try to explain that it isn't and neither is mine, I'm done with replying to you or attempting to correct things you are continuing to misconstrue about what I've said. If it clarifies anything, I never said I outright hated/disliked game5, just that I had personal issue with it. Amazingly, its possible to like things while still finding fault with them. It would be petty to dislike the entire game for the reasons I described. But you're straight up inventing things about what I said now. Later, dude.

----


Adieu to you too (again),
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group