• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wave!! Surfing Yappe!! (movie trilogy / TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote

Wave!! Surfing Yappe!! (movie trilogy / TV)

Themes: sports

Plot Summary: In the city of Ōarai in Ibaraki prefecture, Masaki Hinaoka, befriends transfer student Shō Akitsuki before the summer break, and ends up getting hooked on surfing. Through the sport, Masaki gets to know new friends, and will also drift apart from them in his journey to adulthood.
----------------------------------

While technically a movie trilogy, it's also being edited into a TV version, so here's a thread for it.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to keep watching this show, but it always makes me mad at some part of it.
Usually it's at the writing or directing or art.
Like this kid has never shown any interest in surfing even though his best friend has been doing it forever, but when he sees a stranger surfing he suddenly falls in love...with surfing, not the stranger. Seems so highly contrived it just made it hard to not focus on that. And to top it off, he can't even swim despite growing up in close proximity to the ocean it seems. That's weird to me since I grew up on boats basically and we were in swim classes every winter just to keep up skills and be proficient at all times since my parents wanted to make sure we never drowned in case. (It came in handy)

Also, when they're on shore looking at the ocean it's as calm as can be, no waves in sight...yet when showing close ups of the water, there are big waves. Lazy animation. And that latest episode where the skilled surfers are like "no dude, better sit out this time" and the guy who still can't swim decides to be the only one out trying to catch a wave during awful weather... :smacks head: truly awful.

Masaki is my main beef with this show actually. I'm having a hard time caring about him in any way. I was wondering what I liked about him at all, and I decided it's his friends...also when he's sitting on the beach with his friends with their wet suits pulled off their tops...that doesn't hurt either.

I want to see the friendships deepened with conversations both about and not about surfing that makes me care about them like I get from another show this season about skateboarding. It's hard not to compare and contrast these shows, and when I do this one seems just lacking in so many ways. I also know nothing about surfing, but I'd love to learn a bit more about it over the course of this show. Here's to hoping every episode doesn't have some part that makes me shake my head or be angry at choices that were made.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I had no idea that this was a movie trilogy edited into episode lengths.

Also, I am confused, did he fake his death? because that guy at the end was meant to be the same guy who went missing out at sea during the storm, right? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, because I don't think it was a super engaging series. I might think it is just being a sport along these lines that might be a problem, but Sk8 the Infinity has been something this season and has done very well with leaning into its subculture of skateboarding. I am not sure what I could point to as the difference, but there is one.

My rating is Not really good (4/10), but not a total waste of time. Maybe it should just be a So-so in that it did not really get my attention, but I feel like being a bit mean because it was pretty generally on my lowest of my list of to watch. It probably does not deserve it, but I just had a really hard time managing to care, even if it did take a slightly interesting aspect of apparently a teenager dying from the sport, but at least someone's grief.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 12 (finale)
My rating is Not really good (4/10), but not a total waste of time. Maybe it should just be a So-so in that it did not really get my attention, but I feel like being a bit mean because it was pretty generally on my lowest of my list of to watch. It probably does not deserve it, but I just had a really hard time managing to care, even if it did take a slightly interesting aspect of apparently a teenager dying from the sport, but at least someone's grief.

Don't doubt yourself, not really good seems about right, not mean. Wink
This was a show I dreaded...but I also didn't subject myself to EX ARM like you did.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Don't doubt yourself, not really good seems about right, not mean. Wink
This was a show I dreaded...but I also didn't subject myself to EX ARM like you did.

Always good to know that I am not being too harsh or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1