• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just Bought PaniPoni Dash

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I am very pleased with this series. A friend of mine described it as Excel Saga meets Azumanga Daioh, and I have to say that's a pretty accurate description. Maybe it's because all I've been watching is action shows lately, but I really enjoyed the first 5. They really packed the show with references (as exemplified by the AD-Vidnotes). It's very interesting seeing what they put in there (heck just look at all of the references on the map in episode 5). I'm also pleased with how ADV handled the release, as they really packed it full of extras. I'm gonna go on record now and say there's no way I can even attempt their chalkboard contest (a lot of the references were very difficult, at least for me). So kudos to the ADV people for that, as it's definitley a very unique (and rewarding gimmick for those that are gonna answer the call). It's definitley something to study.

That hide behind the curtain joke also gets me every time. Not only that but I'm gonna be hearing the word "Maho" for a week in my head (and the sad part is I don't know if that's good or bad). Another great touch is the fact in every episode Becky's outfit changes, even if it's only slight. There was one issue I had though. The art kept switching between cute and sexy (I guess it's a means to attract male viewers). I liked the cute, but something about the sexy end of things just felt wrong. I also have a buddy who's always making doujin jokes, so now I see everything as doujin material. Just came off as odd to me. However at least they chose to do sexy images with the proper characters.

This is totally unrelated but I found it amusing. After watching the DVD I went straight to my computer to watch the latest episode of Death Note (two shows couldn't be more opposite and the ep. was great).
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Not only that but I'm gonna be hearing the word "Maho" for a week in my head (and the sad part is I don't know if that's good or bad).

Maho has been transplanted into my vocabulary. I can't stop saying it. Very Happy
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:42 am Reply with quote
I haven't gotten my copy yet, though I pre-ordered over a month ago, but I am glad to hear the DVD has all those extras and references; for a show like this they are really helpful.

I was surprised they are releasing the artbox with the volume 2, but its a good surprise, when I preordered volume 1 and couldn't find a box anywhere I thought it wouldn't have one.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I was surprised they are releasing the artbox with the volume 2, but its a good surprise, when I preordered volume 1 and couldn't find a box anywhere I thought it wouldn't have one.

Having the artbox accompany volume 2 would be par for the course for a series like this one. I suppose the axiom covering that move would be "Why be normal?". Then again, in Japan they packaged a collectors box with the limited edition version of volume 3 (or was it 4?)...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
undeadben wrote:

Having the artbox accompany volume 2 would be par for the course for a series like this one. I suppose the axiom covering that move would be "Why be normal?". Then again, in Japan they packaged a collectors box with the limited edition version of volume 3 (or was it 4?)...

Hmmm, I figured that it's mostly for people who wants to try the first volume DVD but doesn't want to pay too much for an art box especially if he or she hates it. Buying the 2nd volume with the art box confirms you like the series and is willing to buy the rest of it.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense for the consumer, and I hope more companies does this.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
d.yaro wrote:

Hmmm, I figured that it's mostly for people who wants to try the first volume DVD but doesn't want to pay too much for an art box especially if he or she hates it. Buying the 2nd volume with the art box confirms you like the series and is willing to buy the rest of it.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense for the consumer, and I hope more companies does this.

I guess both your views make sense. I can see a series this crazy just decide to drop the box with any random volume, but what darkchibi07 said is also interesting. Sell the lower cost volume 1 first, to sell more copies initially. And then for all those that liked it enough, release an artbox with a later volume.

Although now I'm hoping for a Shana artbox, but it doesn't look like Geneon will have a box for that one.

At least my recent ADV and Funi volume 1 orders have or will have some pretty nice boxes for me to look forward too.
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

I was wondering why I couldn't find a box with volume one.

This was my favorite show last year and I was estatic to hear it was coming stateside. I haven't purchased much in terms of anime since RightStuf's insane sale that made me spend way too much money in a short span of time, but this is one show I can throw full retail price money at with no buyer's remorse whatsoever.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Paniponi Dash was a pleasant suprise for me as well. They make fun of cliches (did you see that all the rest of the students aside from the girls, are just copies of each other instead of wasting time making designs for them) and the humor can be so subtle and over-the-top.
Becky and her interaction with the class always make me laugh. Also, the cat in the vending machine "these sodas are warmed by my body heat" Laughing
Also the ED, Girlppi, is SO catchy.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Paniponi Dash was a pleasant suprise for me as well. They make fun of cliches (did you see that all the rest of the students aside from the girls, are just copies of each other instead of wasting time making designs for them) and the humor can be so subtle and over-the-top.
Becky and her interaction with the class always make me laugh. Also, the cat in the vending machine "these sodas are warmed by my body heat" Laughing
Also the ED, Girlppi, is SO catchy.

Actually I think the opener Kiiroi Vacancies is much more catchy. I can't sing along (yet) but all I need is the "bun bun bun."

Also to further comment on the other students. What I found funnier other than the fact they are copies, is that they are very pale and not nearly as vivid as the actual characters (to truly make them more bland and act moreso as a backround). I think that was a great touch (and is another testament to the level of detail).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
undeadben wrote:

Hate to say it, but it's nothing to do with Pani Poni Dash! being a strange series itself. I've heard talk that ADV is moving towards selling boxes with vol. 2 for more series in the future--it allows people to sample the first volume series at a lower cost and not have to worry about missing out on the artbox or re-purchasing Vol. 1 + box if they get all the volumes. That way, they sell more artboxes because people are committed to the series when they get vol. 2 and will more likely want an artbox. That way, they don't have so many artboxes left in inventory, and those things are resource intensive for shipping and storage.

I mean, you have Funimation artboxes that sell out practically before the street date, but you can still find some of ADV's oldest Vol. 1 + Boxes (their first was Noir from February 2003, other early ones include Najica Blitz Tactics, Super Gals!, and Angelic Layer) outside of eBay and other "rarity" selling sites.

As for Pani Poni Dash!, I collected up the fansubs but never watched them, and have seen the first 3 episodes--neither the series nor ADV's release of it have disappointed me, and I'm loving the exremely dense nest of references that populate the chalkboards and the dialogue. And since I'm always up for a challenge, PPD is proving to be one of the biggest speed-reading tasks since Excel Saga--it's almost more efficient to listen to the English dub so that you can listen to the dialogue and read everything else, rather than reading everything. Honestly, if some company with second-rate subtitling (like Viz, Media-Blasters, Manga, or Bandai) had licensed it, I would've had second thoughts about buying the discs as they came out, due to the huge amounts of onscreen text that those companies would've ignored. Luckily, PPD always seemed like an "ADV Series" to me ever since I first heard about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1