• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Accept No Waifu Imitations: How to Spot a Fake Rem Bride Figure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The waifu game ain't no joke. I had to laugh at the fake Rem's face. Too funny.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
It must be remarked that this article's preview image has a vaguely Tudor theme to it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I once came across a whole website that sells bootleg merchandise from a number of Anime. I bought from them once as a kid but never again. Most of the stuff were good. Wverything else was just comically bad. Just terrible.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
yeah, I might've visited that website too. I was so tempted to buy something to cause as much as I like figures they're way too expensive to afford as much as I want on my budget.
The prices there seemed reasonable and I was very tempted to get one but if I'm gonna pay a third party for something unlicensed then it had better be a quality piece and I'm not sure if that exists.
Would be nice if figures weren't so damn expensive in the first place.
I mean really why are they? they can't all be sculpted by hand(although I get they'd be painted by hand) and is what's the actual profit on the legit figures
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
The first thing I noticed before the topic or the article was, "Is that suppose to be REM? Cause, if it is, who ever made this should be shot!"
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Finding out that you've accidentally bought a bootleg version of Rem would not only be disheartening, but also a bit scary.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
The hair on the fake one seems to be darker too.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I would buy the bootleg ones on purpose except they still cost a lot so I may as well save my money
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Those two photos = juxtaposition.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, now they've provided the counterfeiters more information on how to make more authentic replicas. (But if they're good, they're still withholding some other means of identification of bootlegs.)

Makes me think of the scrappers, the collectors' term for bootleg Disney pins. Some of those are near impossible to tell from the real things because they are not only made using discarded molds for these pins (they're supposed to be destroyed, but nobody's looking), the most difficult-to-detect scrappers are made by people who used to make authentic Disney pins and decided they'd make more money selling counterfeits.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
yeah, I might've visited that website too. I was so tempted to buy something to cause as much as I like figures they're way too expensive to afford as much as I want on my budget.
The prices there seemed reasonable and I was very tempted to get one but if I'm gonna pay a third party for something unlicensed then it had better be a quality piece and I'm not sure if that exists.
Would be nice if figures weren't so damn expensive in the first place.
I mean really why are they? they can't all be sculpted by hand(although I get they'd be painted by hand) and is what's the actual profit on the legit figures

They're not all sculpted by hand, but they are all painted by hand (the clothes, gradient painting, etc- eyes are decals though, of course).

You're better off buying secondhand than buying counterfeit- sites likes Mandarake are stupidly cheap. I have a large collection of legit figures, and I think the most expensive secondhand one I bought was £20.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
It's not the first time I see this kind of articles, and while interesting and necessary, I really, really hope that the pics take into account that O and X, red and blue have totally opposite meanings in some countries.

Blue usually means "good" and red "bad". So it's a bit confusing that they mark bootlegs with blue X's.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
It's not the first time I see this kind of articles, and while interesting and necessary, I really, really hope that the pics take into account that O and X, red and blue have totally opposite meanings in some countries.

Blue usually means "good" and red "bad". So it's a bit confusing that they mark bootlegs with blue X's.

Yeah, that's true. I hadn't realised why until you wrote this but yeah, when I first read it, just going off the colours, before I really paid attention I thought the fake was the proper one and the real one was the fake.
Maybe ANN should use like red (bad) and green (good) or something.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
You're better off buying secondhand than buying counterfeit- sites likes Mandarake are stupidly cheap. I have a large collection of legit figures, and I think the most expensive secondhand one I bought was £20.

Just add to the comment, I saw a used figurine of legit 1/8 scale Kan-Colle figurine for 400 Yen when I was in Akihabara in March and it looked fine. Why so cheap? The box is slighted damaged, so Japanese hardcore collector decided to ditch it.

If you have one of those counterfeits, then it's better off give it little kids. Make sure it doesn't look NSFW.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
If you have one of those counterfeits, then it's better off give it little kids. Make sure it doesn't look NSFW.

Hmm, would you say that applies to plushes too?

I ask because I collect plushes, and I discovered at least one of them is a counterfeit. (I found that out by comparing its tag with that of another plush from the same line that I have and noticed the print quality on the knockoff's tag is much, much lower. It was also off-model, but sometimes, official stuff is horribly off model anyway so I didn't pay that much mind until later.) I want to get rid of it, and I've since obtained the official thing (which is a LOT more on-model), but i have no idea how to do so besides outright disposing of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2