• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Survey Shows Plurality of Japanese Bachelors Spend Christmas Alone

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
By alone, I assume they mean with their waifu(s), at least among the otaku. On a slightly related note, is there a correct plural for waifu?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what it means to spend Christmas with others Razz
Always alone Anime cry
Yadilie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I don't know what it means to spend Christmas with others Razz
Always alone Anime cry

Don't worry, you're not alone. I always like to make off seasonal food for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals as sort of a defiant gesture.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Disparity:
"With family"

I, however, will be spending it with Pets. Family the night before.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I would have thought that the women would have faired better because they had female friends and family but i guess that isn't always the case. The same could be said about the guys, but 40% is pretty high on the guys end. Hell even hanging out with male friends isn't that high.

As a bachelorette, I pretty much spend my holidays with family because my mother is heading toward "SS" status and she's raising a 14 yr old. So I have to fill in every once in awhile. Not to mention doing the aunt duty of visiting other family members. Otherwise I spend my time alone. I call people they don't return my calls so I stop bothering. Only call I get is from my 14 yr old niece. So she's glad to share her interest in K-drama with me.

I don't get much of a chance to spend time with friends due to them living a train distance away and have conflicting work schedules. Plus, some have their own lives so I choose not to intrude.

Hopefully, I'll get around to visiting them again. As there is only one friend I care to converse with based on our close and crazy "anime" past.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow. I would have thought that the women would have faired better because they had female friends and family but i guess that isn't always the case. The same could be said about the guys, but 40% is pretty high on the guys end. Hell even hanging out with male friends isn't that high.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Christmas in Japan like a Valentine's day / romantic holiday??? Spending it alone / not with family is kind of normal then.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
A more interesting question would be how many of those spending Christmas alone still order KFC?
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that more of the guys aren't spending time with friends. For the women that spend it with family, I wonder in comparison to the guys are still at home with their parents anyway.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Good thing japan dosnt allow guns
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Christmas needs to be changed a little in Japan, they can keep the KFC, KFC in Japan is awesome, but the having a date for Christmas tradition needs to die, it needs to be closer to a Western Christmas with a focus on family, peace on earth, and of course presents.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Yeah, they just commit suicide instead.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

They do allow guns but it's much more stringent than the US. You gotta take an all day class and pass a test that's only held once a month, take a shooting range class, go to the doctor and take a mental and drug test (Japan is the only country that would be gun owners have to affirmatively prove their mental fitness) and file that with the police. Then they do a rigorous background check. You also must provide the police with documentation of where in the house the gun and ammo will be stored, which must be stored and locked separately. After that the police inspect the gun every year and you retake the class and test every three years. Not something a lonely single person can do on an impulse. You also have to have a specific reason for having one, like professional necessity, gun competitions, or hunting, and you can only fire it for that purpose. You also need a separate permit to buy ammo. There are also severe penalties to violating the laws. If you have a gun and matching bullets, that's on average seven years in prison. Firing a gun gets you three to life. Especially concerning for the yakuza are laws that the boss can get charged for crimes the subordinates commit. As such few people, including criminals, have guns in Japan, 0.6 per 100 people versus 88.8 per 100 in the US.

TL;DR they do allow guns but it's really hard to get them.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I was quite surprised that young unmarried women were only 2% more likely to have a romantic Christmas evening than young unmarried men. Not sure why, but I thought it would be a larger difference than that.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It seems that solitary Christmases are becoming the norm in Japan nowadays. If anything, even I found myself spending my Christmas by myself in recent years...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I was quite surprised that young unmarried women were only 2% more likely to have a romantic Christmas evening than young unmarried men. Not sure why, but I thought it would be a larger difference than that.

Unless Japan has a good deal of lesbians or harems, they have to be about the same. Or a good deal of extramarital affairs on the part of married men. The ratio of men to women in Japan is fairly even (1.06 men to women, which incidentally is the natural sex ratio, not much more than the US which is 1.05 and less than China at 1.12) , so that couldn't cause large differences in romantic achievement between genders. Going on dates with multiple people on the same day doesn't seem very romantic for either party (see:many harem anime). Gay marriage is not legal in Japan so the pool of married versus unmarried people would have about the same sex ratio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2