• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Love Live Girls Tie On Aprons for Family Restaurant Collab

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
There are COCO's in Japan?? Does Coco's COME from Japan???
I know it's not unusual for American based restaurants to expand to foreign countries but Coco's strikes me as an odd choice to go international.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I know it's not unusual for American based restaurants to expand to foreign countries but Coco's strikes me as an odd choice to go international.

Coco's started in America, California to be exact. After a few changes of ownership over the years, the Catalina Restaurant Group that owned Coco's and Carrows was bought by Zensho, a Japanese company that operates a bunch of different restaurants. Zensho also operates El Torito in Japan, along with Bob's Big Boy Japan, and formerly Wendy's. Zensho recently sold off the Catalina Restaurant Group, though. They seem to still operate the Japan restaurants though.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
Fenrin wrote:

Coco's started in America, California to be exact. After a few changes of ownership over the years, the Catalina Restaurant Group that owned Coco's and Carrows was bought by Zensho, a Japanese company that operates a bunch of different restaurants. Zensho also operates El Torito in Japan, along with Bob's Big Boy Japan, and formerly Wendy's. Zensho recently sold off the Catalina Restaurant Group, though. They seem to still operate the Japan restaurants though.

El Torito too? That's a very interesting mix of restaurants, not ones I'd consider profitable in Japan. They must have changed them quite a bit to fit the japanese lifestyle. Although, if anime is anything to go by, family restaurants like cocos seem to have found a niche in japan where as in america they are starting to die out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

They must have changed them quite a bit to fit the japanese lifestyle. Although, if anime is anything to go by, family restaurants like cocos seem to have found a niche in japan where as in america they are starting to die out.

Check the story of Anna Miller's in Japan:

• The American diner, with its big pie racks, once captured the country's imagintion. Anna Miller's, originally a Hawaiian chain, spread through Tokyo during the late 1970s and early 80s.

As previously posted, the restaurant was a "proto-maid cafe", existing before there was such a thing. It quickly became an otaku hangout. The skirts were short, and diehard regulars would hang out in Anna Miller's hoping to catch glimpses of underwear.

Yet, even with that nerd cred, Anna Miller's begin closing one by one en masse after the turn of the century. By the time maid cafes, which were no doubt inspired by the chain, begin hitting big in 2003 and 2004, around sixteen Anna Miller's had shutdown.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
How popular is Love Live in Japan?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1