• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Fairy Complex

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Buddy Complex, but my biggest gripe is that it was obviously a 24 episode show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Buddy Complex should definitely be a rental. It does have its share of distinguishing features and is at least better than some of Gundam's weaker offerings. It was a bright and fun show, which is refreshing in a time when every show forces a grim dark tone to make it seem more mature. Had some great music too.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Alwys happy to see a reviewer be pleasant to Fairy Tail, casual fans give it so much smack.

Also I bet that explanation about fire you were referring to was in Natsu vs Zancrow where they need to explains why Zancrow's flames are inedible to Natsu.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
That has to be the smallest collection ever featured on Shelf Obsessed, right? I mean, I don't ever recall my collection ever even being equal to, much less dwarfing, the featured one.

If that's acceptable now, after more than a decade, I might now have the "courage" to send a pic of my paltry anime media.

RIP Ziggy
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Fairy Tail on the shelf worthy list Cool
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Buddy Complex even with its second season cut down to two episodes. It's too bad that out of the three split-cour mech anime I've seen these past couple years it was this one that had to get cut short.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
That has to be the smallest collection ever featured on Shelf Obsessed, right? I mean, I don't ever recall my collection ever even being equal to, much less dwarfing, the featured one.

If that's acceptable now, after more than a decade, I might now have the "courage" to send a pic of my paltry anime media.

RIP Ziggy
I can't tell you exactly when, but I'm certain there's been smaller collections featured.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
@Bill: I do understand space constraints, but may I suggest moving your left speaker so that the books/dvds are between your speakers? Even 10 inches of separation can make a world of difference over having them right next to each other. Very Happy

Good luck in acquiring your secret room!
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From my limited experience, Fairy Tail also asks its audience to remember more from one story arc to another. It features more references to previous battles, and consequences of past actions are more likely to follow characters into the present. The final big difference I noticed is that Fairy Tail goes into a little more detail in its explanations of how different characters' abilities compare to one another. Where One Piece might say, “this guy can breathe fire,” Fairy Tail is more likely to say, “this guy can breathe fire and here's how it works when he's fighting this particular opponent.”

That is so not true. Your impression of One Piece is very off, probably because you only watched a filler arc, and two or three canon episodes introducing a new arc.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
varmintx wrote:

RIP Ziggy
I can't tell you exactly when, but I'm certain there's been smaller collections featured.
Since my memory is crap, I believe you. It wouldn't surprise me if I wrote out the same spiel before as well.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Im interested in checking out Noein on Bluray. I got the dvd boxset of the series released by Manga Entertainment back in the day. I've only seen it once since I originally got it and at the time I just thought how amazing it would look on bluray because it looked great on dvd at the time. I might actually go and find that boxset and see if the show still holds up Very Happy [/img]
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay, I love when Fairy Tail gets mentioned on ANN and reviewed. It's so underrated on here compared to the other long running anime that I'm still crossing my fingers someone will eventually catch up and start reviewing the episodes weekly like One Piece and Naruto.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Yay, I love when Fairy Tail gets mentioned on ANN and reviewed. It's so underrated on here compared to the other long running anime that I'm still crossing my fingers someone will eventually catch up and start reviewing the episodes weekly like One Piece and Naruto.

I like Fairy Tail as well, but I don't really feel it's underrated. One Piece would be on the same position as Fairy Tail if there wasn't a dedicated reviewer for it. Sure, they COULD get one for Fairy Tail as well, but I feel it wouldn't atract the necessary amount of trafic in order to justify hiring one person ONLY for that show.

Still, if we go by number of reviews only, Fairy Tail has more than any other of these long running series (at least counting both anime and manga).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

It is nice to have Fairy Tail reviewed here. I was kinda hoping Zero would be a good jumping on point for newbies, including the reviewers, which could make some incentive to go back and catch up on the main series (a much shorter trek than One Piece or even Shippuden, but still a significant amount). But then the first half focused on two of the main characters and recapped some of the previous arcs, which would be a bunch of spoilers to newcomers. It's nice connective tissue for current fans but it's probably one reason why Zero isn't covered in the preview guide.

It's been a while since I've seen the Tenroujima arc when it was airing. It's kind of an apt time to do so, since Zero returns to Tenroujima, though for how long I don't know. If I didn't know Paul was a newcomer, I'd say it was intentional.

As to One Piece, the collection covered in the last column got into a good amount, though hardly all of the Thriller Bark. And I just watched the Thriller Bark arc over New Year's and I have had the same impression of One Piece he did, in that the arcs (the ones I've seen) are much more self contained than other long running shonen. You probably want to start from the beginning to get the best experience but it is much more possible to jump in the middle than others like it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the list of people happy to see Fairy Tail so well received and reviewed.
I'll say to Paul that if you enjoyed this, you should go back to the beginning, because your suspicions are correct. Luckily, for this genre, it's not (comparatively) very long.

I think that Buddy Complex was good enough to at least be a rental, but it is hurt by the fact that it had a rushed ending. I especially enjoyed the time travel aspect. I went ahead and watched it after reading Rebecca's stand alone review here on ANN, so if you'd like an alternative opinion, I'd recommend checking it out.

I can't argue with Gabriella's opinion of course, but I did want to comment on one point:
Quote:
he encounters Hina again as an enemy combatant – and an amnesiac
Quote:
her subsequent reappearance as an amnesiac enemy combatant

I don't really think I can agree with calling her an amnesiac. At least without providing some more info. If I were unfamiliar with the series, I might presume that she has no idea who she is and just recently lost all her memory like oh so many JRPG protagonists.
I'll try avoid spoilers, but when they meet, Hina is fairly sure of who she is and what she's doing. While it's true that she had lost her memories when she was a child, spoiler[and found as a war orphan,]spoiler[(of course that's not entirely true...)] at the point we meet her in the future it had been quite some time since that happened.
I think it's clear to the audience that spoiler[the Hina in the past is further down the line of the future Hina we first meet.] At least if you're at all familiar with time travel stories. And that's why she doesn't know Aoba.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2