• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Selling TV Anime DVD Copies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
And they say piracy has killed dvd sales! Rolling Eyes Wink

So is that ~280,000 USD pure profit, or is that his gross revenue from his venture? At first I thought that was a lot of money to get selling dvds, and then I remembered the Japanese dvd prices. Though I also then remembered how important DVD sales are in Japan (per ANN a few K are enough to merit a second season of a given show), and how few people there actually buy them.

Actually, shouldn't the few loyal DVD buyers in Japan know how much their purchasing power means to the industry and abstain from buying obvious pirated product? Maybe if they were trying to send the companies a message about their exorbitant while still getting their desired dvds, but it doesn't seem as though that were the case.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
Holy mackeral, $280,000??? That's over a quarter of a million this guy ripped off. Seems like there are stories like this every week, gotta be careful where you buy. Confused

Echo_City wrote:
And they say piracy has killed dvd sales! Rolling Eyes Wink

Wellllll, according to the article the guy was selling over the course of 8 years. In that amount of time I imagine he sold many, many popular series. And according to the article he wasn't only selling anime, but other works as well, I'd guess TV series and movies.

Echo_City wrote:
Actually, shouldn't the few loyal DVD buyers in Japan know how much their purchasing power means to the industry and abstain from buying obvious pirated product?

It isn't always obvious that it's pirated stuff, it's really not that hard to make it look legitimate. The price may be a tip-off, but if you sell it second-hand/used who can really say?

Though I can definitely attest to the exorbitant price of Japanese anime DVD's. People overseas should feel pretty happy about the prices we get! Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote
Ya can find these DVDs in Chinatown super-cheap! Laughing

He probably has a similar M.O.:

1. Supercheap "still in theaters/TV" DVDs
2. Sell boatloads of them
3. ???
4. Profit!
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Actually, shouldn't the few loyal DVD buyers in Japan know how much their purchasing power means to the industry and abstain from buying obvious pirated product? Maybe if they were trying to send the companies a message about their exorbitant while still getting their desired dvds, but it doesn't seem as though that were the case.

To add on to Leo, not only can fakes be hard to spot, but some people aren't going to care about weather their product is legal or not if they get a good price on it. Why they don't just download at that point, I dont know, but hey.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
hahah just go on to ebay and you'll find plenty of these guys
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1