• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Etotama [Collector's Edition] Sub.Blu-Ray+DVD 2-3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Theron, the way you're describing this show reminds me a lot of D-Frag: harem-esque premise, quirky characters, wacky tone, weird pacing, use/abuse of well-established action anime conventions (elemental powers in D-Frag, zodiac stuff in Etotama), frequent destruction of the fourth wall, shift towards a "more serious" story arc towards the end.

Do you think that's an apt comparison, and would you recommend Etotama to fans of D-Frag?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Is it especially presumptuous of me that I saw the thumbnail image for this article and immediately thought, "yes, this is one for Theron"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Theron, the way you're describing this show reminds me a lot of D-Frag: harem-esque premise, quirky characters, wacky tone, weird pacing, use/abuse of well-established action anime conventions (elemental powers in D-Frag, zodiac stuff in Etotama), frequent destruction of the fourth wall, shift towards a "more serious" story arc towards the end.

Do you think that's an apt comparison, and would you recommend Etotama to fans of D-Frag?

Having seen both myself I don't know if I would recommend it. I liked both of them, but I like Etotama more for its action sequences and such than its characters like I did D-Frag.

Each of the Zodiac girls are unique sure but none of the them stood out to me all that much as memorable (save for Nya-tan since she's the lead and to a lesser extent Moo-tan and chu-tan)

Takuma also really isn't a strong a lead as Kazuma was. His role is mostly straight man to the craziness but he comes off kind of just there like Theron said in the review.

Really what I'm saying is that Eto-Tama is a harmless show to watch if you're curious but D-Frag is the superior show if you're comparing.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Personally I thought the dramatic impact, predictable as it was, of the finale was lessened rather by having god randomly give Takeru -the most redundant character in years- the arbitrary decision of life & death over the zodiac girls. The show was rubbish, but would have been better if he wasn't in it. At least then it could have been a zodiac version of Koihime Musou, or the like.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Well I am a fan of the series. It is very aware, and rather than be a victim of cliché it instead tries to play with it. From the outset it is not that Nya-tan is a standard moe girl main character, but that she is trying to because she does not have much of a character, and a lot of her is purposely negative.

It was weird for me because I thought that humour mostly landed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1