• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Escaflowne Dub Casts Sonny Strait, Colleen Clinkenbeard

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Sonny Strait... as Allen Schezar.

Caitlin Glass as Hitomi and Sonny Strait as Allen.

Funimation is going out of their way to make the Ocean dub seem amazing. What's next, Chris Sabat as Folken? Vic Mignogna as Dilandau? This has become a joke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, look, FUNimation is casting all their usual staff in the types of roles they usually do.

That dub sure was worth 150,000 smackers! Yep! Definitely!
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Funimation is going out of their way to make the Ocean dub seem amazing. What's next, Chris Sabat as Folken? Vic Mignogna as Dilandau? This has become a joke.

You have not watched Assassination Classroom, have you? Sonny Strait sounds rather different in that role. He's very good as Koro.

Folken? He should be voiced by a dude with a menacing, yet calm voice.

Dilandau is hard to cast. You see, he.....spoiler[is a she. No matter what, the casting will be odd.]
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I really don't get the hate for what FUNimation is trying to do with Escaflowne. I've seen the original dub, and while I can respect it, it sounded rather stiff and soulless to me. FUNimation's actors have actually been very good in what they've done lately, Caitlin and Colleen especially. I think people should give the new dub a chance before writing it off. Who knows? It might turn out to be one of the best re-dubs ever.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt they'd cast Vic Mignogna as Dilandau. His voice is too gravely for him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

You have not watched Assassination Classroom, have you? Sonny Strait sounds rather different in that role. He's very good as Koro.

Please. Koro is a silly Strait role, through and through. Allen is completely different than the comic or sidekick roles Strait usually takes, and I'm not sure he has the chops for. He rarely gets weighty roles and it's a huge gamble for something as classic as Escaflowne.

I don't dislike Strait, but Allen seems a little out of his league.

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Folken? He should be voiced by a dude with a menacing, yet calm voice.

I wouldn't bother. Some folks can be quite ... inflexible with their opinions on certain voice actors.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Vic as Dilandau has practically been confirmed, now that it's known that Vic isn't playing Allen.

Sabat as Folken would be cool, though. Cool
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The overall feeling of this thread is like this:

Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the hate for Funimation's cast choices either. I am not very familiar with Sonny Strait's work, but Colleen Clinkenbeard is a great voice actress.

I am sure Funimation is trying their hardest to produce a great dub for Escaflowne. Funimation might suck at designing convenient and great looking packaging for their releases, but they are pretty good at producing English dubs.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh, they DIDN'T cast Vic Mignogna as Allen?

What a missed opportunity... Neutral

I'm not saying Sonny doesn't have the acting chops to pull it off (he's pulled off great dramatic moments as Ussop in One Piece, for example), but... This casting just seems off. Maybe this dub will sound good, maybe it won't, but with Sonny Strait as ADR Director, I won't know until it releases.

Mike McFarland really should've been the ADR Director and Line Producer instead (and I'm not the only one who thinks so), but he's probably working on My Hero Academia right now, so...
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Please. Koro is a silly Strait role, through and through. Allen is completely different than the comic or sidekick roles Strait usually takes, and I'm not sure he has the chops for. He rarely gets weighty roles and it's a huge gamble for something as classic as Escaflowne.

I don't dislike Strait, but Allen seems a little out of his league.

So? Actors break typecasting all the time. And often times it works out - I mean, who would guess that Lloyd from Code Geass and Gaara from Naruto are dubbed by the same person? (Liam O'Brien). The thing about Strait is that he always seems to be having fun with his roles, which is always EXTREMELY important and can play off well here.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna make some Escaflowne clips overlayed with Season 3 DBZ so we can have Allen say WHOA MONDO COOL.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
It is nice that they are using mostly veteran voice actors, being Funimation talent is pretty rare, so they have to get every good actor they can.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

So? Actors break typecasting all the time. And often times it works out - I mean, who would guess that Lloyd from Code Geass and Gaara from Naruto are dubbed by the same person? (Liam O'Brien). The thing about Strait is that he always seems to be having fun with his roles, which is always EXTREMELY important and can play off well here.

Strait has done serious serious/Sophisticated as voice a few times, in Brother's Conflict there's a dream sequence where the squirrel he plays turns into a gentleman and it's really well done. He can also make his goofy serious, look at the Ussop stuff in Water 7, that's some heartbreaking takes on sad scenes.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I really don't get the hate for what FUNimation is trying to do with Escaflowne. I've seen the original dub, and while I can respect it, it sounded rather stiff and soulless to me. FUNimation's actors have actually been very good in what they've done lately, Caitlin and Colleen especially. I think people should give the new dub a chance before writing it off. Who knows? It might turn out to be one of the best re-dubs ever.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt they'd cast Vic Mignogna as Dilandau. His voice is too gravely for him.

Same here. This is my personal favorite anime, but I was never a big fan of the old dub. I did like Andrew Francis' take on Dilandau, but everyone else I found generally passable at best.

For this iteration, I wouldn't mind seeing Barbara Goodson get a crack at Dilandau. Her voice has the right sort of pitch, and she's really good at playing that type of loud, over-the-top character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3