• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Advance

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't really kept up with the Ghost in the Shell franchise since the Stand Alone Complex days, but I feel like I should give the new stuff a shot at some point. We've got a review of this movie's theatrical release here, but there aren't any official streaming options that I'm aware of.

Funimation's schedule lists that the movie will be available for streaming on May 3.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
In terms of production value on Funimation's end, I didn't like how they lacked English credits. They were all in Japanese with a quick overview of a few key people near the end. I actually enjoyed reading and looking up people involved with the movie, and now I can't do it for this one.

Also, they didn't translate the title of the movie. The other films had the English title appear, but this one was all Japanese-blah-blah-blah-Q. Inconsistent.

Speaking of inconsistency, the case is different again. It's taller, it's wider, and it's a slip case with a horizontal cut out for the insertion of the film. Looks very out of place on the shelf next to the other films.

Finally, why is there a lack of trailers on the disc? Not even the Japanese blu ray trailer or the Funimation trailer for this film are included? That's below the usual Funimation standard.

Overall, inconsistent release. The dub and actual movie are fine, though.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
In terms of production value on Funimation's end, I didn't like how they lacked English credits. They were all in Japanese with a quick overview of a few key people near the end. I actually enjoyed reading and looking up people involved with the movie, and now I can't do it for this one.

Also, they didn't translate the title of the movie. The other films had the English title appear, but this one was all Japanese-blah-blah-blah-Q. Inconsistent.

Speaking of inconsistency, the case is different again. It's taller, it's wider, and it's a slip case with a horizontal cut out for the insertion of the film. Looks very out of place on the shelf next to the other films.

Finally, why is there a lack of trailers on the disc? Not even the Japanese blu ray trailer or the Funimation trailer for this film are included? That's below the usual Funimation standard.

Overall, inconsistent release. The dub and actual movie are fine, though.

Simple answer? Meddling from Studio Khara.

That's one of the main reasons why the film was delayed so long. They wouldn't let it come out until it was *just right* (in their opinion).
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
The review for Evangelion 3.33 says:
Quote:
You either can't stand Greg Ayres, Tiffany Grant, and co., or you tolerate them.

So, actually liking them is not an option?

I have not seen this movie and possibly never will. The change to the story is going in the wrong direction for me.
But I did enjoy the dubs for the first two movies. Given that, is there some reason why I could not enjoy the dub for this movie, if I should decide to watch it?

On a different note, I really enjoyed both versions of Magic Users Club when I watched them many years ago.
Now I want to watch them again, but I will not be buying them because I still have the Anime Works brick release with both versions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
My first reaction after watching this was that I've never seen a story so fundamentally broken that wasn't actually bad. 3.0 explained absolutely nothing about what was going on, why people were acting the way they were or what happened to get everyone in the positions they were in. I don't mind keeping things mysterious to make it easier to connect with Shinji, but they should have explained eventually (maybe do that instead of the mech fight at the beginning that was boring because they didn't explain what was going on). Shinji and Kaworu's relationship was really what saved this movie. 4.0 is going to have a lot of explaining to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
So I guess we'll never see a fourth movie...
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Uh... Greg Ayres isn't even in this movie. If you're referring to Shinji, he's played by Spike Spencer.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Review of EVA 3.33 wrote:
That continues here, with moments between characters that are downright romantic.

WTF. Where the hell did even an inkling of that happen? I sure missed it.

With the exception of Sakura every single female character Shinji has known is either totally contemptuous of Shinji or she is a blank. Sakura waves goodbye and that's it.

Maybe Gab was referring to a yaoi thing between Shinji and Kaworu. Other than that she must be describing some other anime.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The only Evangelion 3.33 question that matters? Before I watch the movie, I got to know: Was the none age up of the core characters relevant, possible even or did the creators not want to mess with otakudom's holy trinity while trying to do something? "Something different"? No, the movies or at least the two I've seen, haven't even reached the "something" level yet.

"Well, we tried everything else for drama, let's use the old "faster than light" age trick like we did in Gunbuster."
"One problem, it's science fiction but not set in space."
"... it's a side of effect of being an EVA pilot?"
"It's brilliant! Anyone smart enough to question how it never came up during teenage growing years, AKA puberty, won't be watching the series at this point!"

Wait, I'm not watching the series at this point. I gave up after being trolled by the ending of the second movie. "Wait, how can you end the movie without saying if Asuka's still alive?!" Watches ending trailer/lie. "Couldn't think of someway of putting that in the movie? Couldn't just leave it a mystery? Couldn't they just (not) do it in the first place?"

Quote:
It's clear that Rebuild is happening because Anno wants to revisit this story, and not just to keep milking the money cow.

Yes... he so wants to do this, he's been not doing the fourth movie for years? That he took time off to ruin Godzilla as well? I'm still holding on to the hope that it's just one big April Fool's joke... please Toho. I saw the suit, just bury it before the American Godzilla has to do to whatever that is what the big G did to Zilla in Final Wars.

And I'm not responding to the art with a capital A quip. No, mentioning it is a response with a capital R, I'm ignoring it with a capital I. Which also means me.

And that's the core of Evangelion with a capital E: One person's Art is another person's Potent Pretentiousness Pile of Putridness... or so I've heard. I still hold to the fact that the highpoint was the final two episodes of the TV series; Everything since then has been nothing but distancing the franchise from that point of equilibrium for Shinji.

Even if it was not real, it was the only place in the series where I think Shinji found his footing. {Applauds}
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I had a lot of fun watching this movie, even if I wouldn't say it was (from a structure perspective) a good movie. Maybe it's because I'm not invested in the series, despite having watched so much of it and all of the Rebuild films, but just sitting back and letting it all wash over me was pretty enjoyable. The friend I was watching it with left really disappointed, though.

The number of robot/spoiler[warship] battles was a little...too much, maybe? It's a weird thing to say about a giant robot movie, but I did wish they'd cut down on the number of battles--there were so many with so little context that it got really hard to care about the outcomes. It also feels like, despite spending so much time with them, I never got a feel for the characters in WILLE. Maybe because the time-skip was enough to alter their characters to the point where they felt like different people?
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Review of EVA 3.33 wrote:
That continues here, with moments between characters that are downright romantic.

WTF. Where the hell did even an inkling of that happen? I sure missed it.

With the exception of Sakura every single female character Shinji has known is either totally contemptuous of Shinji or she is a blank. Sakura waves goodbye and that's it.

Maybe Gab was referring to a yaoi thing between Shinji and Kaworu. Other than that she must be describing some other anime.

She's referring to Kaworu x Shinji. She has a bigger interest in LGBT stuff than most people. If it's remotely there, she'll talk about it. Personally, I thought it was much less romantic, and much more an indication of how broken Shinji is. Not that him having a gay relationship makes him broken, but just how badly he needs acceptance. To the point that any sort of affection anyone shows him is welcomed. For what it's worth, Kaworu seemed like a pretty nice guy. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
The lackluster English dub VAs for the main characters are the least of Rebuild 3.33's problems. It's an exhaustively shallow production that thinks itself brilliant. If anything, Shinji's relationship with Kaworu is lesser in ninety minutes than it was in twenty-two in the TV series, and there's only the bare minimum plot or examination of themes. It was obviously made for the sole purpose of holding the viewer over until the studio could figure out the final part of the story and most of the characters are the same at the end of the feature as they are at the beginning. It's really a very cynical work, cynical in its very reason for existing as a work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
.. If it's remotely there, she'll talk about it. ..:

Ahhhh. So much is explained. Thanks.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
@Ambimunch, I pretty much had the same issues with the Eva 3.33 release. I was a little surprised they didn't do the separate English credits like they sometimes do and the inconsistent case sizes look funny on display. I did like the little art booklet, though. In any case, I hope Funimation will eventually put out a box set for all four movies. Maybe in 2030 or something Smile
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub has the usual Evangelion dub problems. I've found people either can't stand Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant, and co., or they grew up with the dub and that's how it's always been.

"The usual Evangelion dub problems", huh? Well, they can't exactly be considered "problems" if you preferred those voices, can they? I waited this long for FUNi's release specifically because I wanted to watch this film in English and hear those voices again. So yeah, that statement kinda irritates me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4