• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter's English Dub Previewed in Adult Swim's Toonami Ad

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
Kurapica's voice is almost as femenine as the one in Japan... Poor dude Laughing
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Seems decent, a lot rough for some characters, but it seems to fit the show. i see what people mean about Killuas voice.

@tintor2 Even more so it seems.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or am I hearing some Funimation voice actors in that dub?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to see if the dub will stick with me or not, but really I can't wait for them to release the DVDs/Blu Rays.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
"You can't spell impossible without possible."

Really? Laughing

I like most of what I'm hearing in this promo, especially Kurapica (Erika Harlacher sounds perfect). But, like others have said, Killua's voice is decidedly higher pitched compared to his Japanese seiyuu, so I'll need to hear more before I know for sure whether I like it or not. Cristina Vee's a very talented actress, so I'm sure Killua's voice will get deeper as she gets more used to the character.

I wonder who the ADR Director is.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Cant wait! Is it still worth watching the first adaption? Or would it be to much the same right now?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Cant wait! Is it still worth watching the first adaption? Or would it be to much the same right now?

I'd say watch this and then maybe watch some of the older show. Its really good but this version goes further in the manga.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Is it just me or am I hearing some Funimation voice actors in that dub?

Not unless you count Matt Mercer and Cristina Vee as "Funimation" actors simply because they've done a handful of roles for them. Neutral
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
I am sure the dub will be solid. My only question is if Toonami is prepared to run this series for 3 years. What happens if the ratings start tanking?

TheMorry wrote:

I remember the episodes before the Chimera Ants arc being the same stuff from the 90s series.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am sure the dub will be solid. My only question is if Toonami is prepared to run this series for 3 years. What happens if the ratings start tanking?

TheMorry wrote:

I remember the episodes before the Chimera Ants arc being the same stuff from the 90s series.

bleachj0j wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

I'd say watch this and then maybe watch some of the older show. Its really good but this version goes further in the manga.

So it's not like FMA-FMA Brotherhood treatment? First series went original after certain amount episode and second follows the manga?
Miskos3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

So it's not like FML-FML Brotherhood treatment? First series went original after certain amount episode and second follows the manga?
No, both follow the manga, the second series is a remake of sorts and it continues past the ending point of the first series. I'd just watch the second one and then if curious, would check out the original one.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
So it's not like FML-FML Brotherhood treatment? First series went original after certain amount episode and second follows the manga?

As far as I know both series follow the manga. Like bleachj0j says, the 2011 series adapts more of the manga.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

As far as I know both series follow the manga. Like bleachj0j says, the 2011 series adapts more of the manga.

Miskos3 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

No, both follow the manga, the second series is a remake of sorts and it continues past the ending point of the first series. I'd just watch the second one and then if curious, would check out the original one.

Ah ok, thanks guys. Btw sorry for the typo of FMA lol. Idk why i typed an L. Brainfart xD.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I would really highly recommend giving atleast a couple select episodes of the original series since they give certain items a lot more time and actually make it really emotional (canary...) and quite a few of the fillers are really good actually.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to see the show on Toonami.

Last edited by CyberLance on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4