• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Nozaki's mangaka admitted in her notes that some of Nozaki's traits are based on her own. Like him, she has difficulty drawing thing in perspective and frequently comes up with weird, out-there ideas for plot development.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm the odd person out. I liked the anime and found it amusing, but definitely not funny like to where I'd actually laugh rather than maybe chuckling or guffawing. I think I only watched it because I kept seeing "oh man, funniest anime ever" from so many people, and yes that affected my expectations.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
This sounds like I'd like. And the fact that it's also dubbed is another reason for me to keep my eyes open for it. I hope that there's a goofy American character that's a fan of shojo manga and that character looks like he or she stepped out of one. To me,that would be the perfect icing for a wonderful cake.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guess I'm the odd person out. I liked the anime and found it amusing, but definitely not funny like to where I'd actually laugh rather than maybe chuckling or guffawing.

I also thought this was middling as a comedy and particularly didn't show a talent for sharply exploiting its good jokes; that scene about the dating sim the review mentioned throw out the punchline casually before re-using it after a good build-up. If only it hadn't given it away! (the ancient dating sim True Love actually has that ending, by the way, though pretty much just as a throw away joke rather than something that makes much sense.)

Similarly it spends an awful lot of time on emphasizing how cheesy and melodramatic "prince" Kashima's line to other girls are when it's much funnier that she's actually rather simple-minded and straightforward in contrast to the self-conscious ostentation of a "prince" character.

I also wish Seo had more screen-time as her impenetrable stupidity made for some of the funniest scenes.

Regardless, I think the characters make a saving grace; they're all so likable I didn't mind I wasn't laughing too hard. I'll probably pick up the less-expensive Blu-Ray-only release sometime.

Glad to see the shorts are included (which more or less form a 13th episode). There have been too many releases missing things like that in recent days.

Snomaster1 wrote:
I hope that there's a goofy American character that's a fan of shojo manga and that character looks like he or she stepped out of one. To me,that would be the perfect icing for a wonderful cake.

Nope, no American characters in this one.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
One of my favourites for... 2015? I think. I watched it twice, the second time with a friend and we were laughing so hard throughout the whole thing. All the characters were hilarious. Especially Hori senpai and Kashima. I think my favourite segment was the one where Nozaki and Mikorin were playing the dating sim. I don't think I've seen the joke pulled off so well in other anime. And yeah I agree with Theron about the lack of mean-spiritedness in how they roasted shojou tropes and cliches. It's quite similar with Ouran in that sense. But I think the jokes in Nozaki-kun are tighter? Maybe because it's shorter.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I liked parts of this show, but did not like it enough to even get the standard BD edition. But I am glad Sentai decided to do a dub and a CE for the fans who wanted them.

review wrote:
To get a more thorough and extensive companion book, you'd have to go to an absolute top-of-the line Collector's Edition release, such as Bandai Visual's gold-boxed Patlabor 2: The Movie set from a few years back.

You don't have to go that far back. The book that came with Sentai's CE of Chuunibyou season 1 has a ton of content.

review wrote:
While the price of this Limited Edition set may still be on the high side (Sentai has never figured out how to do Blu Ray/DVD combo sets as economically as Funimation does)

You have to remember that Sentai is putting a lot of content in their CE's compared to Funimtion's typical BD/DVD combos. And frankly I have always thought that Funimation charges too little for their combo sets because they are offering 2 copies of the show (one on BD and the other on DVD).
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
You have to remember that Sentai is putting a lot of content in their CE's compared to Funimtion's typical BD/DVD combos.

Well, sure; that was accounted for. But do the OST (which I'd put at around a $20 value) and the deluxe booklet (which I'd put at a $12-15 value) make up the price difference? Because everything else in the release has relatively common equivalents in Funi's standard LE sets. Factor those out and you're still paying about $25 more MSRP for the combo pack. (And yes, you can get it cheaper than MSRP, but since sale prices can vary a lot that's the only fair and reliable comparison.)

I'm more pointing that out than complaining, though. As I said in the review, this is a top-end series, and paying a roughly 1/3 premium for a deluxe release of a top-end series isn't anything I would regard as outrageous. If Aniplex and Pony Canyon played to that model then people would bitch far less vociferously about their pricing practices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm really regretting that I didn't see this through to the end when it was airing. It's only now that ANN does episode-reviews that I know which one is most likely to be a critical favourite by the end of the year.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(And yes, you can get it cheaper than MSRP, but since sale prices can vary a lot that's the only fair and reliable comparison.)

Fair when comparing to Funimation, as you are doing, but not fair when comparing to Pony Canyon and Aniplex of America, since both seem to use resale price maintenance together with a limited number of retailers, and their releases are impossible to get at less than MSRP.

One of my favorite series of the last couple years, along with Shirobako. The original manga is great too, though you would hardly guess that the series was based on a 4 panel strip. Top notch adaptation.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
But do the OST (which I'd put at around a $20 value) and the deluxe booklet (which I'd put at a $12-15 value) make up the price difference? Because everything else in the release has relatively common equivalents in Funi's standard LE sets. Factor those out and you're still paying about $25 more MSRP for the combo pack.

This is how I would brake down the MSRP of Nozaki's CE:
$40 - 2 BD's
$30 - 3 DVD's
$20 - CD's
$15 - Book
$15 - Chipboard box and other extras

Total: $120 (I can buy that Sentai is over charging $10)

In comparison Funimation's LE's are typically $69.98 MSRP (but they have also introduced sets that sometimes come with a book priced at $84.98 MSRP). Based on my criteria Funimaion should charge $75 for sets with 2 BD's, 2 DVD's and a chipboard box (I discounted $10 because of the 1 less DVD, and $90 for sets with 2 BD's, 2 DVD's, book and chipboard box.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I think you're overestimating the value of the chipboard box and other Extras, which I'd put more around $5. (There I'm going by the logic that LEs are commonly $5 more than non-LEs from Funi, and the main difference is the artbox and other minor physical Extras.) Otherwise I generally agree with your thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
konxeptionz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I think with pricing you'd have to factor in manufacturing cost as well. While we won't know how many prints Sentai ended up doing total, it could also factor in their price as well.

Say for example, it might be cheaper to print 5000 than it is 2000. However, they don't want to print 5000 copies and opt to print the 2000 and pay a more expensive fee.

However this is just based on speculation and I have no sources to even back this claim up.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Soundtracks are something that at least gives me serious reason to consider a premium edition, although the total price is still a significant factor. Plus, the OPs and EDs are oftentimes considered separate from the OST, meaning that all you get is background music.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Plus, the OPs and EDs are oftentimes considered separate from the OST, meaning that all you get is background music.

FWIW, that is the case here: this box's soundtrack CDs do not include the OP or ED.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Is there seriously any doubt that this LE is a good deal?

It costs $78 on rightstuf right now! I haven't seen a Funimation CE come even close to that in terms of value-per-dollar. Most Funimation LE's have a chipboard artbox and nothing else and cost roughly $50-$60. $20-$25 more for a hardcover artbook with interviews and loads of show information, the OST, and a chipboard artbox is easily a better deal, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3