• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Ocean 5 Game's 1-Hour English Gameplay Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Will there be a demo?!
K'un Lun Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
At first I was disappointed that I would be missing out on this game since I ended up on "Team X-Box", but then I realized that I owned three other "Star Ocean" games (Second Story, Till the End of Time, and The Last Hope) and hadn't finished a single one of them and then I felt a little better.

I enjoyed them well enough, but I just never finished them.
CharlieJS3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Will I need to understand any of the previous games to get what's happening in this?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Playstation 4 release only in the west. Well it looks like I won't be playing this game =/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egozi14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Same, too many games I expected that have ps3 ver in the east and PS4 only in the west for money saving purposes ://////
DLH112

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
CharlieJS3 wrote:
Will I need to understand any of the previous games to get what's happening in this?
no, all the games are standalone. There might be easter eggs/little references you won't catch, but otherwise you'd be fine.
Gafynt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
So let me get this straight. The Japanese release of Star Ocean F&I already has the Day 1 Edition DLCs including the music tracks on the disc while the West is getting a stripped down version of the game AND the DLC will just be on a flimsy piece of paper? Consider me out of this gane until it hits at least $20.
Exfm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Gafynt wrote:
So let me get this straight. The Japanese release of Star Ocean F&I already has the Day 1 Edition DLCs including the music tracks on the disc while the West is getting a stripped down version of the game AND the DLC will just be on a flimsy piece of paper? Consider me out of this gane until it hits at least $20.

No, content wise for SO5, US release is actually better than JP:
1. JP releases' VP/VP2 background music is DLC; US ver is the same (as a matter of fact, no additional music or any other items mentioned here is on the JP disc; they are all DLC codes)
2. All the items listed for the US Day 1 Edition actually don't comes with all the JP first print copies. For JP First Print Copies, only VP/VP2 BGM comes with it; while the other items included in the US Day 1 Edition are only limited to certain store/online store different depends on the store (i.e. Ring of Valkyrie DLC exclusive to purchase through JP amazon)
3: JP release only has JP voice where US release has dual audio.
In comparison, US players actually got a better deal than the JP ver.

Only thing not mentioned here is the Star Ocean series BGM that, in JP ver, only came with the Ultimate Box, which is also a DLC, just like the VP/VP2 BGM.
The Star Ocean series BGM included BGM from SO1-SO4, which along side VP/VP2 BGM, can be changed in the setting menu to change the battle music.

However, whether the game itself is worth 60$ tag is questionable to many people. But that's another issue...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
Exfm wrote:

However, whether the game itself is worth 60$ tag is questionable to many people. But that's another issue...

Yeah, SO5 is getting lambasted in Japan right now for inadequate game content for a full-priced game.
It's been known that the developer already had to reduce content from previously planned during development.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1