• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax, Livedoor Co-Founders Launch Crowdfunding Campaign for 'Rocket-Dan' Anime Short

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The short anime is set in a certain galaxy on an unspecified planet

You don't say!

This looks like a pretty interesting production strategy... looking forward to seeing how it pans out.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
RA RI RU RE ROKETTO-DAN?

Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Could this be Team Rocket's attempt to raise enough funds to build their own rocket for Pokémon theft? Wink
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
The premise started interesting but then it became very... strange?

Quote:
But eventually, through crowdfunding, they come to the day where they will launch the first satellite developed without government funding.

Are they trying to make an allegory of Gainax's own financial struggles? Is the rival company going to represent TRIGGER? I'm also iffy on them basically telling us the entire story, I mean, what motivation do I have to watch if I already know everything that's going to happen? The plot they describe sounds like something you could draw for a one, or even two-cour show, but they plan on doing it in a short? The rocket launching sequence in the PV looks damned impressive, but other than that, I'm not really convinced by the project.

I'm also curious about this part:

Quote:
Rewards include participation in voice acting and theme song auditions, as well as participation in auditions for the production team as a director, storyboard artist, animator, or character designer.

Does this mean that a) they don't have a director, storyboard artist, animators or character designers yet, even though the project is already funded? That sounds awfully alarming. and b) if auditioning for these positions is a reward, does that mean the people they eventually hire won't be paid for their jobs? Given that they, in fact, paid for the opportunity to participate? I'm all for giving new talents a chance, but I also think people shouldn't give their job away for free and this sounds like a terribly dishonest way to cut costs, unless I'm misunderstanding something.
skogga

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Can't help thinking this is a mash-up of Royal Space Force and Kerbal Space Program. I fear the investors would be banking on the producer's talent and not the story concept.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I think they are going about this the wrong way. That is, if they want to improve the short (make it longer or give it better graphics), then they could be using Kickstarter. I say this because they could get a lot of American backers, considering that the USD value. Also, they could make of the rewards options to have a professionally subbed version on a site like YT or Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1