• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ComiXology Debuts Subscription Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Not worth it for just manga.. The type of people who prefer subscription based services like to binge. It's not worth it just to read a bunch of volume 1s.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Is that how it is for the American comics on the subscription service too?
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I really wished they released Cyborg 009 past volume 10. Crying or Very sad
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I've already read some of these titles on Crunchyroll Manga. Once they add more titles and volumes, it'll be worth considering getting a subscription.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
Not worth it for just manga.. The type of people who prefer subscription based services like to binge. It's not worth it just to read a bunch of volume 1s.

And the last thing Comixology wants is for a bunch of people to sign up for one month, binge on a couple series, and then cancel. They'll undoubtedly add more volumes of each series as time goes on, but at a rate to keep people subscribing from month to month.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
You know what would be an interesting service? What if someone were (somehow, granted this is "pie in the sky") able to aggregate licenses to all/most titles and sell subscriptions to a "build your own anthology". IE. for say $10/month you get a monthly or weekly "book" (thinking digital) that has the latest chapters of X titles you chose. So like "Shounen JUMP" but with reader selected titles. So instead of just whatever is running in Jump, you could get your latest update of say 5 titles.

So, a given user could get:
-One Piece
-Fairy Tail
-UQ Holder
-Black Butler
-Food Wars

Maybe throw in a random unselected title to also try to get users interested in something else. It just seems like there should definitely be a market for certain titles, but just throwing out 100 titles, when a given user probably only cares about 10 seems like you THINK you're giving more options, but kinda like cable, you're selling a bunch of content that (most) people don't really want.

I know part of the "selling point" of the 'phonebooks' is using the flagship titles to sell other titles, but it seems like you could instead use the subscription model to sell a managed set IF you had the appropriately popular titles. You COULD also possibly have "tiers" with flagship titles being top tier and less popular titles in lower tiers, then you can allow users to select 1 "Top tier" title and other "lesser" tiers.

Anyway, just thinking there's a market for anthologies, but if you try to force a certain set, then considering the competing options many people will consider them to fall short on "value".
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I tried out the service because I'd love to pay for something like this that lets me browse older comic volumes I've been meaning to try out, but it limiting itself to the first volume of everything, western and a FEW darkhorse comics (when viz is listed, but buy only) makes it a hard pass. I get the same with my local library, just with the option of nice physical books if I want to try out a new service. Some libraries even have a digital subscription offering the exact same library as comixology so meh.
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I literally can't figure out how I'm supposed to sign up for this service, or even see what the catalogue is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1