• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PQube Confirms Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni PS Vita Game's Western Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDragonking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Yay because reasons lol
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I hope I can find my either one of my Vita chargers before this come out......That and get Estival Versus along with wiping out the bulk of my backlog.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Heh, what's the use; they've pretty much given up on Vita on the Western market:

• E3 2016 happened a few weeks ago and Sony concentrated heavily on the PS4 and PlayStation VR. One console that was absent from the event was the PS Vita.

4Gamer recently interviewed Atsushi Moritaw who is the president of Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan and Asia. He explained why Sony chose to not talk about the PS Vita.

According to Moritaw, the Western market isn’t very big for the PS Vita. Sony feels the E3 2016 show is aimed towards Western gamers so they felt it wouldn’t have made sense to focus on the portable console.

Moritaw mentioned that the future of PS Vita rests on the hands of Japanese gamers. One of the games that have become big on the PS Vita in Japan is Minecraft. Children have been a big demographic responsible for the portable console’s success over in Japan.

Mortitaw however had some bad news and said he’s unsure if there will ever be a PS Vita 2. The original console failed to be as successful as the PSP and a lot of Western gamers don’t really play on it anymore. The console had a hard time breaking out thanks to the uprising of smartphones and tablets.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, what's the use; they've pretty much given up on Vita on the Western market:

• E3 2016 happened a few weeks ago and Sony concentrated heavily on the PS4 and PlayStation VR. One console that was absent from the event was the PS Vita.

4Gamer recently interviewed Atsushi Moritaw who is the president of Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan and Asia. He explained why Sony chose to not talk about the PS Vita.

According to Moritaw, the Western market isn’t very big for the PS Vita. Sony feels the E3 2016 show is aimed towards Western gamers so they felt it wouldn’t have made sense to focus on the portable console.

Moritaw mentioned that the future of PS Vita rests on the hands of Japanese gamers. One of the games that have become big on the PS Vita in Japan is Minecraft. Children have been a big demographic responsible for the portable console’s success over in Japan.

Mortitaw however had some bad news and said he’s unsure if there will ever be a PS Vita 2. The original console failed to be as successful as the PSP and a lot of Western gamers don’t really play on it anymore. The console had a hard time breaking out thanks to the uprising of smartphones and tablets.

Maybe its sarcasm and I missed it, I was born without a detector Anime hyper but I still don't understand why people continue to reference Sony not caring about the vita or it having no 1st party support in years as "The vita is dead". Is it an extremely niche system and doesn't have much mainstream appeal? Of course but the amount of niche company 3rd party support is massive. NISA, Aksys, IF, PQube, SE, Bamco and many other companies have been releasing niche Japanese games in the west in huge numbers. Just at AX Aksys announced they are bringing over a half dozen niche japanese games include 3 otome games, the list is massive and continues to grow every month. First party may be dead along with mainstream appeal but there is very large 3rd party support and a very dedicated audience who continues to buy those niche games and companies continue to release them so they are selling.

For fans of niche japanese games the vita/pstv is one of the best systems to own.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
If you had fun with the dressing room feature in Senran Kagura, Valkyrie Drive has something similar.

The fighting looks pretty badass, and though it's nowhere near as explicit as the anime...that might be a good thing. Plus it's PlayStation TV compatible! Very excited!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
=
Maybe its sarcasm and I missed it, I was born without a detector Anime hyper but I still don't understand why people continue to reference Sony not caring about the vita or it having no 1st party support in years as "The vita is dead". Is it an extremely niche system and doesn't have much mainstream appeal? Of course but the amount of niche company 3rd party support is massive. NISA, Aksys, IF, PQube, SE, Bamco and many other companies have been releasing niche Japanese games in the west in huge numbers.

I'd like to think part of that perception is born out of how the system compares to the PSP which had respectable first party support, along with strong third party support (from more than niche Japanese developers) All that niche support is nice but that doesn't make the system any more desirable if you're looking for more well known/established western or first party ips.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I would buy this... on Steam, sorry Vita :*(
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, what's the use; they've pretty much given up on the Western market

Just because Sony has made many colossal mistakes with the vita (expensive memory, terrible launch, lack of physical releases for a lot of titles, barely any investment in the western market and still tons of vita they'll never bring over), doesn't mean they should stop bringing over vita games. I think I have bought around 10 vita titles this year and I have more per-ordered. I don't mind being one of the few people supporting the system but I will be pissed the day that Sony's idiotic batoot stops supporting the Vita via the PSN.

Now onto Valkyrie Drive, I thought Xseed would be doing the localization for this one but they announced like 5 games this E3, so I can see why PQube is doing it. I've been a big fan of Senran Kagura for a while, so I'm hyped to play this game.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
PQube also confirmed on Twitter that the game will be uncensored. You know..because that's important, too.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
PQube also confirmed on Twitter that the game will be uncensored. You know..because that's important, too.

Wow, i'm honestly pretty surprised. I was just about to make a comment about wondering what would end up being censored, but if it is truly uncensored, that would be awesome.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I would buy this... on Steam, sorry Vita :*(

Well there are a lot of Japanese Vita games that have been ported to Steam for years now, namely the Neptunia games. I am 99.5% confident that Valkyrie Drive will come to Steam next year. And yes, I would prefer that version too. Steam could use more yuri games.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Sweet I was hoping that Bhikkhuni would get a western release sometime soon and best of all it will be UNCENSORED. Very Happy
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
I'm totally ecstatic that Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni will be debuting in the Western world uncensored! Very Happy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

I guess they felt the need to offer reassurances in this post Criminal Girls, Fire Emblem If, Street Fighter 5 world Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1