• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Posts 1st Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Film's English-Subtitled Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikari22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Haven't this three films been available on Netflix for quite a while now?

At least here in Latin America, I know they've been on Netflix for more than a year now and the anime series became available around two months ago.

But in any case, the more exposure they get the better, I assume. Hopefully one day we'll get a BD release for all of the anime series, OVA's and live action movies in single package. (Wishful thinking I assume Very Happy Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes)
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
ikari22 wrote:
Haven't this three films been available on Netflix for quite a while now?

Not in the US, no. We're slow on live-action movies.

Sigh, the closest showing to me is 40 miles away which would be in rush hour traffic on a weekday. I was really hoping it would be a bit closer. I'll probably just wait for the disc release then.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
These movies are honestly my favorite version of the Kenshin story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Same. Never cared much for the anime, but as a whole I really do like this trilogy. The first one's nothing special but 2 and 3 are great.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Eh, I still prefer the more-faithful Kyoto Arc in the anime (Aoshi didn't get enough development in the manga), but man with the limited time they had it was amazing what they turned out. I've heard the original edits of the second and third films were almost 3 hours each, and I'd love to see what had to be cut...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
My only complaint about the movies is that Shishio's henchmen got short changed. Otherwise, they're pretty brilliant. I want to own them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to own these as well. Thanks to Netflix, I gave a re-watch of the Rurouni Kenshin anime for the first time in years, to which my girlfriend and I agreed that the anime has much more charm and (obviously) much greater development of the characters. But although I hold the anime in a slightly higher regard, these movies truly define what it means to make a proper live action adaptation. As good as the production budget was, it was more than just that. It took an appropriate cast, a memorable score, amazing choreography/stunt-work, and a general sense of the source material to create a thrilling and engaging adaptation of the story itself. I look forward to the theatrical and home releases of these movies.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
My only complaint about the movies is that Shishio's henchmen got short changed. Otherwise, they're pretty brilliant. I want to own them.

Saito is also kind of shortchanged.

But on the whole, fantastic. Probably the best "movies based on a manga" ever. The 2nd film in particular is a masterpiece containing some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1