• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grandia III Game Listed for PS4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Already have a few PS4 games, time to get the console itself soon?... Smile

Never finished it on the PS2, but if it comes complete on PS4 with updated graphics etc, no need to play it on emulator. If I ever find the time, that is, in either case.

And I hope they do something about the stability issues as the PS2 one kept crashing randomly. Kept reminding me of the post-game dungeon in Star Ocean 2 which was a nightmare in that regard...

Very much love the Grandia franchise ever since the first part on original PS, which still remains my favorite...
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The first half of this game is incredible. Then, for reasons beyond my comprehension, they drop the two most interesting characters in favor of two bland ones and the plot takes a trek down cliche lane. Thankfully, combat is really fun throughout.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Why bother? It's by far the least interesting one in the franchise...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Man I forgot all about this game. Until I saw the cover, it sparked a light bulb. Glad to see some of these titles on PS4. Now can we get a Persona 3-4 collection on PS4.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
The first half of this game is incredible. Then, for reasons beyond my comprehension, they drop the two most interesting characters in favor of two bland ones and the plot takes a trek down cliche lane. Thankfully, combat is really fun throughout.

Yeah, I remember playing this in college and really having a blast with it until the characters left the party and the game went downhill from there.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
They should consider Grandia II as well, seriously. That had a very unique (semi)free-run battle system which was remarkably reminiscent of those that would appear in later Tales installments, like Graces. If nothing else it was quite fun compared to the usual staples of other rpgs in its time.

If someone wants to try Grandia II through emulation or by dusting of the old console from the closet, I absolutely recommend the Dreamcast version. It beats the heck out of the PS2 version. Yes, in graphics too...
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but if it's not created by Game Arts, I'm not interested.
frubam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I ask is that they keep spoiler[Miranda and Alfonso playable] . Felt like the game went straight into the crapper story-wise once they left =01. She was also such an amazing fighter and I loved her fighting style and personality.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a waste. Grandia III was a huge disappointment for me. The story was pretty much garbage, especially combined with the epic Angelus civilisation of I and freaking Satan in II.
I can't even remember the main bad guy in III. I think it was some evil god from anotehr dimension...

Also, half the charatcers were pointless. The two adult charatcers were awesome, but were replaced by that dragon kid and fortune teller that had no actual personalities. I can't even remember their names.

Anyway, Grandia III seemed unfinished so maybe this time...
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
If someone wants to try Grandia II through emulation or by dusting of the old console from the closet, I absolutely recommend the Dreamcast version. It beats the heck out of the PS2 version. Yes, in graphics too...

The PS2 version did have some extra stuff, but the game ran like crap with massive pop-in and a horrendous framerate. I don't know if emulators are capable of fixing them, but one would hope a PS4 port would address those technical problems.
Northlander wrote:
Sorry, but if it's not created by Game Arts, I'm not interested.

Game Arts did make Grandia III.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
If they keep picking up older rpgs to remaster, then for the love of ---, please, please, consider Skies of Arcadia. For anyone who suffered claustrophobia from the everyday rpg dungeon, that game felt like a breath of fresh air. Along with all the other innovations it brought to the field. It had a PS2 port in the works but unfortunately nothing came out of it...
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if the PS4 version is coming, but as was pointed out to me over at blu-ray.com, it's a PS3 version that got released today.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

I haven't played Grandia III because it was, to my knowledge, never released in Europe. And getting the PS2 modded seemed so ridiculously problematic that I gave up on that.

I get the impression that Grandia III might've been terrible, But by and large, I'd rather play a Grandia game made by its original creators. (Who also made the original two Lunar games.)
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
Yeah, I remember playing this in college and really having a blast with it until the characters left the party and the game went downhill from there.

I think they had those characters leave the party in order to drive home the coming of age/independence theme, but the problem is that those characters provided something unique JRPGs usually don't offer. So when they left the party there was a gaping void in charisma and fun that the two new, more generic characters couldn't fill. The story was still interesting, but the participants were not.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
Most likely for the PS2 emulator on PS4, not a remaster
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2