• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Overlord Anime Has Compilation Film in the Works

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deynard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
Duhh, hype train derailed.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote
Deynard wrote:

Well, it's not. Recap movies in 99% indicates the near future continuation of animation work in some form, like another movie or the second season.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
Saitama punched his way out of this, but unfortunately, the great Ainz Ooal Gown's greater penetration had no effect.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Deynard wrote:

Well, it's not. Recap movies in 99% indicates the near future continuation of animation work in some form, like another movie or the second season.

Yeah, at the very least, they seem to be trying to keep the series in peoples' minds. Do what you gotta do, is what I say. If they are doing something like this, it could very well lead to additional material in the future. I'll be crossing my fingers.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote
Sigh, hopefully something will come of this. With onepunchman getting a season 2 i still have hope for ainz sensei to get one as well or at least a movie like no game no life.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
At least that's something.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
I really like overlord.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
Ugh just give us the 2nd season already, srsly dunno what they are waitin for discs were selling, the LN is also among one of the best sellers. For just a compilation movie they waited too long should have made then atleast some original story in between the seasons.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

I doubt anyone hoping for a second series wasn't deflated upon hearing this news.

Even if they were announcing a second movie tomorrow that wasn't a compilation, anyone that wasn't looking to pirate wouldn't have much reason to be excited, as it would likely be a long time before it was legally available (if it ever was). Meanwhile, if a new series was announced, it would considered a given it would be streamed for a lot of people.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
Don't know why a movie, there does seem to be enough light novel material out there for a second season.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't know why a movie, there does seem to be enough light novel material out there for a second season.
There is. But they're seem to think that they're need to revive the interest to franchise before that with the recap. You know, like with Attack on Titan compilation movies.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
For all we know, a season 2 is already in production and this film is just to keep people interested/draw in as much new fans as possible before they announce season 2.

Season 1 wasn't perfect, especially from an adaptation standpoint, but there's plenty of material and sales were good across the board. A little optimism!
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
I left this show on my Funimation queue because I knew they had to continue the story. How could they not. So two weeks ago I gave up and removed it. Now this. They tease me so much!

The show wasn't the best of the season, but it was entertaining enough that I kept watching.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing this will be the first of at least a few film adaptations. The lizardman arc in particular, taking place right after the adapted anime content, would work quite well as a film. I have some personal qualms with Overlord, but it is entertaining, and i would likely watch any more films or series they release.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
There is. But they're seem to think that they're need to revive the interest to franchise before that with the recap. You know, like with Attack on Titan compilation movies.

It's also possible they are trying to pad their resources. I'm sure a compilation film takes a lot fewer people to produce than a TV series, it's quite likely they simply don't have enough people to do that while they work on everything else they are already doing. Putting this out could give them enough time to get the labor and resources they need.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2