• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Prince in His Dark Days GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Let's hope the final volume doesn't end with "and a giant rock crushed them all" at only four volumes though it's not that long of commitment, though. Personally, I like bleak I just this doesn't get fixed by "the power of love" or some cheap cliche by the end. This also made me think Confidential Confessions by Momochi, Reiko as some of the problems in that series where just as depressingly bleak as the ones described in this series.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
chaccide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
And it's on Kindle. Thank you Kodansha! An easy sale for you.

(Though personally, from the title I was hoping for a manga about The Purple One. That would be incredible...)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
this is a difficult book to stomach

But is it as difficult to stomach as Bokurano?
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
this is a difficult book to stomach

But is it as difficult to stomach as Bokurano?

No, but Bokurano went so over the top with its grimness that for me it almost became self-parody after a point and I quit reading it
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think this was all that grim. I mean, yes, she had a terrible life and you wanted to slap everyone who made it worse, but that's not unlike every other shoujo heroine who starts off as pitiful as possible. One thing though that made this better than others of the type is that it felt a tad more realistic. But it was still a bit over the top. I'm going to read the other volumes when they come out.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
I didn't think this was all that grim. I mean, yes, she had a terrible life and you wanted to slap everyone who made it worse, but that's not unlike every other shoujo heroine who starts off as pitiful as possible.

Yeah, I agree - I don't know if there was something in particular that made it resonate with the reviewer, but for me it wasn't all that grim or bleak. Yes, the heroine's life is sad in a realistic way, but it's not particularly extreme.

I read the whole series, and I liked it - it's nothing particularly outstanding, although I do love the art and the minimalistic style, and I don't think it's weird or awkward-looking at all. It's a fairly predictable story with some familiar tropes, and the ending spoiler[is seriously rushed to the point where it almost brings the whole story down], but overall I don't regret the money I spent on it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm sick of shoujo heroines who are happy-go-lucky and even cheerful despite incredibly depressing life circumstances. Tohru in Fruits Basket, Nanami at the beginning of Kamisama Kiss. Heck, nearly every Disney Princess is written that way, too! Why can't girls have a full expression of emotions? If their life is depressing, why can't they be realistically depressed about it, or even hopeless?

Of course, it's likely this story goes overboard and is way too bleak. It's also sadly probable that it will end with the love-phobic heroine falling in love despite her reservations, and that falling in love will somehow solve all her problems. That would be disappointing. Definitely a wait-and-see type of title.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Of course, it's likely this story goes overboard and is way too bleak.

It's not, really. Especially since the bleak circumstances last for like half a volume, after which she assumes Itaru's identity and moves in to the super rich mansion. Sure that will come with its own share of issues for her, but it's not over the top.

Agent355 wrote:
It's also sadly probable that it will end with the love-phobic heroine falling in love despite her reservations, and that falling in love will somehow solve all her problems.

I can only say: "nope". (Also, she's not love-phobic, she's just afraid to allow herself to love because so far it never ended well for her.)
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm sick of shoujo heroines who are happy-go-lucky and even cheerful despite incredibly depressing life circumstances. Tohru in Fruits Basket, Nanami at the beginning of Kamisama Kiss. Heck, nearly every Disney Princess is written that way, too! Why can't girls have a full expression of emotions? If their life is depressing, why can't they be realistically depressed about it, or even hopeless?

Of course, it's likely this story goes overboard and is way too bleak. It's also sadly probable that it will end with the love-phobic heroine falling in love despite her reservations, and that falling in love will somehow solve all her problems. That would be disappointing. Definitely a wait-and-see type of title.

In other words, you haven't read this because this opinion had nothing to do with this story...
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read it because it literally just came out last week. This review just makes it seem less like a must-buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1