• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gatchaman Crowds Insight's English Dub Cast, Preview Clip Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, this show is getting a dub?? And Jessica Calvello's in it?? I've got watching to do!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I saw the name "Jay Hickman" and that face and had to click... but that's not his character, that's a girl. Okay...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Whoa, this show is getting a dub?? And Jessica Calvello's in it?? I've got watching to do!

I normally enjoy Jessica Calvello's work, so I was surprised by just how much I disliked her performance as Hajime in the first season of Crowds. I don't know whether it was the translation Sentai gave her or the direction she took the character or what, but I simply couldn't stand it, and ended up switching back to the Japanese vocal track almost immediately.

I had the same problem with AKB0048, though, and lots of people thought that dub was fine, so maybe I'm just finicky.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The dub sounds decent from the short clip provided above. Kyle Jones and Chris Ayres' work tends to be to inconsistent at times for my taste. Sometimes they get it right and other occasions the mark is missed entirely all in the span of one single episode of a dub. They're capable of good work but just can't seem to find that consistency level it varies from project to project. This has been a fairly unremarkable year for Houston dubbing hopefully a few dubbing gems and performances pop up before the end of the year. The casting list looks fairly average its always nice tho to see Patrick Poole show up in a dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1