• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ryohei Yamamoto's Love Rush! Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
That's pretty short for the shonen jump manga...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Sounds like utter garbage. Good riddance. I figure they'll squeeze all 12 chapters into one volume? That certainly was a super short run
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
He's not the only one I'm pretty sure that Leonardo Dicaprio and Justin Timberlake also have that Ubermale gene. Laughing
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
Good, this series was so bad. I hope Red Sprite ends too. Viz made a mistake picking these up.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
It looks silly, but at least it was trying to innovate.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Good, this series was so bad. I hope Red Sprite ends too. Viz made a mistake picking these up.

To be honest, while I don't mind either Love Rush or Red Sprite, I honestly doubt that Viz would have picked them up if not for the fact that two series running in English Jump (Nisekoi and Bleach) had just ended and they wanted to fill the gaps.

I have to say that based on both E-Robot and Love Rush that I quite like Yamamoto's art style, but his stories aren't particularly impressive. Maybe if they paired his art with a better writer it might pay off?
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Well than Christ that's over!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
I read the first two chapters and well, other than the audacity to justify the most basic harem trope in such a silly and absolute way, it was the same generic BS that I've seen a thousand times.

I'm surprised that something so derivative wasn't popular.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
That got axed quickly Shocked
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
I liked this series as it was nice to have another Romantic Comedy in Jump. It was the only reason I had a subscription to Shonen Jump and with its cancellation, I'll let the subscription lapse and I voted it number one in every one of the survey polls I was able to vote in. Oh well that's how the cookie crumbles.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, looks like i stand alone on this, but i feel that Love Rush was and is severely underrated. The protagonist tells his crush how he feels- directly, in person, and without any uncertainty- by CHAPTER 2. Nearly every chapter was direct advancement of the plot or character development, and this series had some interesting things to say about what love actually means. I've read a lot of manga, and the approach Love Rush took felt fresh to me (in tone and execution, if not overall concept and premise).

For those rejoicing that it's now over, i'm curious as to what they actually want in a romantic shonen comedy, or if one could exist that they would actually enjoy. Love Rush wasn't spectacular, but it deserved more of a chance that readers gave it. I would have liked to see where the story was going to go. I do agree that this was miles and away better than E-Robot, and i look forward to seeing this author's next work.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:

Viz didn't actually pick them up. They were only committed to three chapters as part of their Jump Start initiative. They surely won't be licensing them now though.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Can someone describe in a little large paragraph what type of story is E-Robot? PLEASE

Also, while Love Rush had some innovations to the harem formula, the story was mostly squandered by featuring too much tropes, and a lack of focus between being:
A) A Monster Musume rip off focusing on the monster girls
B) Being a Rom-Com

In the end, Yamamoto doesn´t know how to write a harem/ecchi series, he just wants something that sells, and not always you´re gonna succed with that mentality. You should check out Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san, it´s like the "Cowboy Bebop" of ecchi stories(semi-episodic in nature, characters solving mysteries, etc)
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Can someone describe in a little large paragraph what type of story is E-Robot? PLEASE

Also, while Love Rush had some innovations to the harem formula, the story was mostly squandered by featuring too much tropes, and a lack of focus between being:
A) A Monster Musume rip off focusing on the monster girls
B) Being a Rom-Com

In the end, Yamamoto doesn´t know how to write a harem/ecchi series, he just wants something that sells, and not always you´re gonna succed with that mentality. You should check out Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san, it´s like the "Cowboy Bebop" of ecchi stories(semi-episodic in nature, characters solving mysteries, etc)
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:

Viz didn't actually pick them up. They were only committed to three chapters as part of their Jump Start initiative. They surely won't be licensing them now though.

I can assure you, Viz have been running tem weekly since they started.

Sadly. Urgh, I know comedy is subjective but if your above the age of 14 and still find rape joke and Borat thong gags funny, grow the heck up! Jesus...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2