• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Opens at #1 in S. Korea

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The film's success is pretty amazing. That's good.

On a bit of a tangent: what can be bad is, Japanese rights holders tend to not let the high end movies be streamed. Most Ghibli properties still aren't, even the older ones. Anybody want to speculate on the chances of this going to streaming, especially Netflix? ( Which I get. ) Or even to disk rental, there or at RedBox? I don't hold out a lot of hope, but it sure would be nice if us folks outside of major cities could see it without having to blind buy it.
limmaestro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about 'your name' at this point.

It was a good film, but I didn't think it was that amazing. I could see several big flaws in terms of how the story was structured - the romance especially felt undercooked.

There are much more sophisticated series out there that have developed similar themes of "time" and "memory", such as Steins;Gate, in my opinion.
SonicSP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
Today I watched it for the tenth time in the cinema. Still loving this movie and definitely one of my all time favorite movies.

limmaestro wrote:
I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about 'your name' at this point.

It was a good film, but I didn't think it was that amazing. I could see several big flaws in terms of how the story was structured - the romance especially felt undercooked.

There are much more sophisticated series out there that have developed similar themes of "time" and "memory", such as Steins;Gate, in my opinion.

I'm also a big fan of Steins;Gate (both the VN and the anime series) but I don't think the sophistication of time travel and memory is one comparable here given their formats. Your Name's strengths is in its simplicity rather than its complicated developments, which is Steins;Gate's strengths. The music helps A LOT too.

For me what made Your Name great was the combination of things, the likability of the characters, the music, the timing of the jokes. Steins;Gate also excel in some of these areas but it (as in the main series) will never work as a single 2-hour movie. It requires much more of time investment and even for someone who comes to watch a TV Series, the series' strengths may not be prevalent during the first cour.

Steins;Gage's characters requires you to spend time with them to appreciate them whereas your name's do well in a short setting even if they are not as deep. Your Name's cast are not as developed because of the format but they serve their purposes just well.

This isn't a knock on Steins;Gate per say but more like the two stories was written for two different formats and excels in their particular areas.

Part of Steins;Gate's strength is also in how it explains it's time travel mechanics and how it links many plot lines together. Your Name's explains just enough for its purpose (also helps that Your Name's is magic than science, Steins;Gate's have to tackle

I also think Your Name is more relatable to more mainstream people because of the package. It's strength is definitely in its presentation and execution rather than its actual plot though I consider that quite good too.

It's not something that requires a lot of investment, it's something you can walk in and you can enjoy (and a good crowd will help a lot too for the jokes). I've brought quite a few people on some of my cinema showings, most of them not being anime fans and they really really enjoyed. (Just my personalanectodal experience and opinion of course)

Mind you, I still think the Steins;Gate is my favorite time travel story because of how much detail it goes into and I like the science in how they explain everything but heir different formats make it hard for me to compare them.

I will agree that Your Name's romance is underdeveloped but I do think their emotions more than make up for it.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote
Sad thing is you know this movie is going to tank hard when it premiers in America. Though Boss Baby is some pretty stiff competition you gotta admit.
limmaestro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
SonicSP wrote:
Today I watched it for the tenth time in the cinema. Still loving this movie and definitely one of my all time favorite movies.

Wow 10 times, that's amazing.

SonicSP wrote:
I'm also a big fan of Steins;Gate (both the VN and the anime series) but I don't think the sophistication of time travel and memory is one comparable here given their formats. Your Name's strengths is in its simplicity rather than its complicated developments, which is Steins;Gate's strengths. The music helps A LOT too.

For me what made Your Name great was the combination of things, the likability of the characters, the music, the timing of the jokes. Steins;Gate also excel in some of these areas but it (as in the main series) will never work as a single 2-hour movie. It requires much more of time investment and even for someone who comes to watch a TV Series, the series' strengths may not be prevalent during the first cour.

Steins;Gage's characters requires you to spend time with them to appreciate them whereas your name's do well in a short setting even if they are not as deep. Your Name's cast are not as developed because of the format but they serve their purposes just well.

This isn't a knock on Steins;Gate per say but more like the two stories was written for two different formats and excels in their particular areas.

Part of Steins;Gate's strength is also in how it explains it's time travel mechanics and how it links many plot lines together. Your Name's explains just enough for its purpose (also helps that Your Name's is magic than science, Steins;Gate's have to tackle

I also think Your Name is more relatable to more mainstream people because of the package. It's strength is definitely in its presentation and execution rather than its actual plot though I consider that quite good too.

It's not something that requires a lot of investment, it's something you can walk in and you can enjoy (and a good crowd will help a lot too for the jokes). I've brought quite a few people on some of my cinema showings, most of them not being anime fans and they really really enjoyed. (Just my personalanectodal experience and opinion of course)

Mind you, I still think the Steins;Gate is my favorite time travel story because of how much detail it goes into and I like the science in how they explain everything but heir different formats make it hard for me to compare them.

I will agree that Your Name's romance is underdeveloped but I do think their emotions more than make up for it.

Valid points. your name's success does make sense in light of the things you have mentioned. I agree with you that the comparison with Steins;Gate wasn't exactly fair. My critical reaction most likely originated from my own personal taste in sci-fi-intensive plotlines and heavy expectations when it comes to romance-driven character developments.

I suppose the main thing about your name's plot that bothered me the most was spoiler[when Mitsuha suddenly decided to bike up to the mountain in the middle of their plan to evacuate the town. Considering that she knew Taki at that point was up in the mountain 3 years ago, it didn't make sense to me just why she would decide to go up the mountain. That is not to say that the ensuing synchronization of the 3-year time gap (i.e. katawaredoki) wasn't emotionally fulfilling (this was the iconic scene of the film, after all). It just felt a bit forced to me, as the plot point of "having Mitsuha bike up the mountain out of the blue" seemed to have existed only to make this synchronization happen somehow.] It's also possible that I misunderstood some aspect of the plot...

Another point that I'd like to mention is spoiler[the aspect of memory. I understand that the loss of memory drove the title itself and the theme of searching for the other (and oneself when their psyches are switched, cleverly enough, bringing up the close-knit relationship between memory and identity). But again, when both of the characters started to repeatedly ask the question "what is your name," I couldn't help but feel a bit annoyed. The fact that memory loss was introduced so abruptly (right after the synchronization ended, in fact) felt unnatural and forced.] I wonder if there could have been a more natural way of going about it...

The ending too, spoiler[running into each other across passing subway? I'm not saying that the notion isn't romantic, but that resolution felt anticlimactic... I was disappointed because, after all the magical-realistic elements that have mesmerized us throughout the film, I expected the reunion to be realized in a more complex, intricate, and fantastical manner.] Am I just being a hopeless romantic by thinking this?

That being said, the visual (as expected of Makoto Shinkai) and the sci-fi romance overall were awesome. Makoto Shinkai has some high expectations that he needs to fulfill for his next project (at least from people like me, I guess), and I think that is a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1