• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TV Tokyo Head Praises Kemono Friends as Series Concludes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
So happy that KF became a hit. Need more KF in my life.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Takahashi-san's comments and the fan base aren't surprising to someone who watches the show without prejudice. It is well written and allows the viewer to discover the world of Japari Park and learn of it's mysteries alongside Kaban and Serval and the other Friends as the series progresses. However, it may be difficult for those who are inclined to criticism of the CG which has technical problems in spots. Nonetheless, the character and background artwork are not bad and I found it surprisingly watchable.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Takahashi-san's comments and the fan base aren't surprising to someone who watches the show without prejudice. It is well written and allows the viewer to discover the world of Japari Park and learn of it's mysteries alongside Kaban and Serval and the other Friends as the series progresses. However, it may be difficult for those who are inclined to criticism of the CG which has technical problems in spots. Nonetheless, the character and background artwork are not bad and I found it surprisingly watchable.

As someone who grew up in the 00's watching Cartoon Network lead core-animation fans down the path of demonizing everything Hanna-Barbera ever made on a low budget as "crimes against humanity", I notice that most of the loudest, most angrily sophomoric and most personally bloodthirsty dogpiling on a "cheap" show--especially in every single writeup on KF--traditionally tends to come from either ultra-core animation fans or animators/industry-insiders nitpicking the very frame rate, movement, or how the CGI blends with the backgrounds. (Which, to be honest, is not very good in KF if you want to go there, but then, we've seen a lot of cheap anime lately, in these new otaku-cornered times of overworked and underfunded JP studios.)
That's sort of like watching a baseball game with a sportscaster or fantasy-baseball fan raging about how a player's batting average went down .XX points over the last two seasons and why the manager hasn't traded him yet...They may obsess over their hobbies or profession, and consider it an unforgivable offense against all they hold dear, I'm in the bleacher seats looking at the whole game.

Or, as I put it during the embattled HB-Bullying days, "If a show can't afford to MOVE, it should at least entertainingly know how to TALK." Meaning the characters, stories and dialogue, which is what KF fans do seem to have become hooked on.
The show's been "Come for the cuteness, stay for the teasingly disturbing apocalypse", and that's divided the audience into two camps that have trouble holding the same conversation, but me, I like the cuteness. Anime catgrin And learning about animals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1