• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli, Wild Bunch's The Red Turtle Film Nominated for Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Red Turtle getting nominated over your name. basically confirms to me that currently the only way to get an anime film nominated for Animated Feature is to have Ghibli involved in some capacity..... Crying or Very sad

Now don't get me wrong I love me some Ghibli, but they aren't the only game in town when it comes to theatrical anime works, Academy! Laughing
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
I don't think "Your Name" really had a shot at a nomination. Funimation just didn't have the money to spend on getting it seen by voters or pay for ad space. If Disney or even GKids got the distribution rights, we would probably see it included in that list.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whos-trying-to-buy-an-oscar-nomination/
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
@Koda89: I disagree. One of the director's shorts was nominated before and Ghibli wasn't involved much in the creative or animation process. Besides I think works like "In This Corner of the World" deserve the nomination more than your "your name".

Anyway, doesn't really matter since the award always goes to Disney/Pixar movies and many of the people voting don't even care about animation or have seen all the films.
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
@Koda89: I disagree. One of the director's shorts was nominated before and Ghibli wasn't involved much in the creative or animation process. Besides I think works like "In This Corner of the World" deserve the nomination more than your "your name".

Anyway, doesn't really matter since the award always goes to Disney/Pixar movies and many of the people voting don't even care about animation or have seen all the films.

It doesn't matter how much of a role Ghibli actually has, they see that bloody Totoro logo and basically lock it in. Razz
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
The Oscars have always been about money more than quality. Always.

Award winners get a huge boost in office sales and other profits in the ballpark of tens of millions of dollars. With so much money on the line, awards tend to go to the movie that can bribe the committee members the most, and it's no surprise that Funimation had no chance.

Whatever, I've stopped taking the oscars seriously for years now. Oscar winner =/= quality.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Between all the things that didn't get nominated, and the fact that Sundance is having a documentary on creepy lolicon otaku who harass idols (which you know is not going to be positive towards anime), that's sort of sad.

I still think that anime is going to take off in fashion this year, I just hope there isn't some big hipster backlash based on those things.
xyz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
The list is solid and I'm glad your name isn't nominated.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I don't think "Your Name" really had a shot at a nomination. Funimation just didn't have the money to spend on getting it seen by voters or pay for ad space. If Disney or even GKids got the distribution rights, we would probably see it included in that list.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whos-trying-to-buy-an-oscar-nomination/

To think FUNimation getting "your name" would be the title's undoing of getting a shot at a nomination. It feels off-putting seeing an animated movie doing super well in most of East Asia but going to be just a blip in the West.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Funi just did a terrible job promoting 'Your Name'. Pushing it out in an already stacked year,and then rushing the small theater run with no buzz to it. Like most people mentioned,they honestly should've just waited till this year to try and have it nominated.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
Disappointing to not see your name. make the cut, but I agree that Funi's promotion efforts probably hurt its chances.

Of the titles that did make it, the one I most want to see win is Kubo and the Two Strings, which I thought was a lovely, imaginative work with some real depth. I suspect, however, that the award will go to the much-lauded Zootopia instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It feels off-putting seeing an animated movie doing super well in most of East Asia but going to be just a blip in the West.

My feelings exactly. I know this comes as no surprise to anyone, but it is as if there is an insurmountable hedonic disconnect between what resonates with you or I and the mores of the ordinary viewer.

Have there been any standardised psychological tests on anime fans? Could the differences between us and ordinary film watchers have any substantial basis? A paper or two could be written about this. Heavens, representative samples would be no problem. Otaku are easy enough to find around university campuses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Damn. I was actually kinda hoping for a nomination, at least. Instead, they went with the safer Studio Ghibli thing. What a surprise! Rolling Eyes

Well, Your name. is doing amazingly well in Japan, so I can be satisfied with that. Hopefully, the film does well here when it releases on the states.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Sadly, it won't win, but I'm glad it at least go nominated. That will help it get seen by more people than otherwise would be the case.
phantomfandom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Last season I watched 30+ anime, including Your Name, and I don't appreciate Your Name (my Shinkai's top film is still 5cm, which I only love the first part of it)

Anyway, look like even Japanese film awards are not much fond of Your Name either.
Kinema Junpo give best film award to In This Corner of the World, their previous best film award that went to animated film was 28 years ago with My Neighbor Totoro.
Mainichi Film Awards, while it gives best animated film to Your Name, it gives second best overall film to In This Corner of the World, which in my opinion, is harder to win than best animated feature category (as you know, there's big barrier for animated feature to do well in live-action dominated categories). And In This Corner also won best OST and Ofuri Noburo (best animated art film).

And on top of that, the Japan film committee could send Your Name in Foreign Language category too, but they don't (they send Nagasaki instead). So, before complaining about western world didn't accept eastern's masterpiece, you should check again if that art piece is really 'Eastern's Masterpiece'.
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
phantomfandom wrote:
Last season I watched 30+ anime, including Your Name, and I don't appreciate Your Name (my Shinkai's top film is still 5cm, which I only love the first part of it)

Anyway, look like even Japanese film awards are not much fond of Your Name either.
Kinema Junpo give best film award to In This Corner of the World, their previous best film award that went to animated film was 28 years ago with My Neighbor Totoro.
Mainichi Film Awards, while it gives best animated film to Your Name, it gives second best overall film to In This Corner of the World, which in my opinion, is harder to win than best animated feature category (as you know, there's big barrier for animated feature to do well in live-action dominated categories). And In This Corner also won best OST and Ofuri Noburo (best animated art film).

And on top of that, the Japan film committee could send Your Name in Foreign Language category too, but they don't (they send Nagasaki instead). So, before complaining about western world didn't accept eastern's masterpiece, you should check again if that art piece is really 'Eastern's Masterpiece'.

Thanks for the knowledge. Very Happy

Puts everyhting into perspective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3