• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Feb 19-25 [2017-03-02]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Top and bottom going steady, as expected...

Too bad Kemono Friends isn't included. We know it's popular in Japan, but would have been nice to know how it had placed on this side...
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised that Masamune-kun's Revenge jumped that much, but I can understand why. It unquestionably had the series' best and strongest scenes to date.

Now, whether or not it will maintain that level is another story. (At the time of this writing I have yet to watch this week's episode.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Still happy to see Rakugo and Gintama going strong as always
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little confused on the episode rankings (not the cumulative ones). Gundam: IBO had a community score of 4.4/ep44, while Saga of Tanya the Evil has 4.1/ep7, Tales of Zestiria 4.3/ep19, and Interviews with Monster Girls 4.4/ep8, but Gundam is ranked behind the other 3 shows? I guess I must be misunderstanding something on how the individual episodes are calculated. Yes, no?

It doesn't really matter to me, I was just wondering if I was missing something.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they're not direct comparisons of scores, but rather something like

User X prefers show A over B, and show B over C
User Y prefers show A over C, but show C over B
User Z prefers show B over C and A

Then, some math is applied, and we get the rankings. From what I can gather how much someone prefers a show over another (that is, their score) is irrelevant. So score discrepancies on the average can happen.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm a little surprised that Masamune-kun's Revenge jumped that much, but I can understand why. It unquestionably had the series' best and strongest scenes to date.

Now, whether or not it will maintain that level is another story. (At the time of this writing I have yet to watch this week's episode.)

Masamune jumping 15 spots in the weekly ranking looks very impressing, but when you look at the cumulative (to me the most important of the two rankings), it remained in the same position, 19.

This is why I consider the weekly ranking so meaningless.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge, once a series is placed on the bottom of the abyss, there's no escaping the Chaos Dragon Award. Will there ever be any series able to break this curse?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This is why I consider the weekly ranking so meaningless.

To me the meaning is a lot more interesting than the cumulative, actually. It tells me what had a good episode that week, and what had a bad one. Given I'm almost always behind on the stuff I'm watching, it does get me a little hyped when I see something going up.

I can see the cumulative having value in a end-of-season moment, if I want to know if something was considered good, but otherwise, it looks pretty pointless to see its movement weekly.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
To my knowledge, once a series is placed on the bottom of the abyss, there's no escaping the Chaos Dragon Award. Will there ever be any series able to break this curse?

That'd be hard, it would need to be something that started awful but got better over time BUT at the same time it would need to retain enough user base to be voted back up once it improved. Also, pretty every company understand that episode 1 is the most important one and it'll also be the episode where they have the most time to work on, so it would be strange that quality would improve. Maybe if a show is really tanking and they decide mid way to go really crazy with cause once you hit bottom of barrel you can only go up, but doubtful.

More realistically, another show could tank so much that it would displace the bottom show, but that's not so much the series breaking out as another series finding new depth to badness.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

I doubt that's how it works, as you can vote without being logged in, and if you voted for only one show there'd be no doing comparative weighting. Maybe the score on the page is just an average, and they calculate some other mean score for the chart. Also, the chart is just a snapshot of the scores at the time of writing, voting is still open afterwards and can change the score - I could go pump up or down the scores on episode reviews of years past.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

I doubt that's how it works, as you can vote without being logged in, and if you voted for only one show there'd be no doing comparative weighting. Maybe the score on the page is just an average, and they calculate some other mean score for the chart. Also, the chart is just a snapshot of the scores at the time of writing, voting is still open afterwards and can change the score - I could go pump up or down the scores on episode reviews of years past.

That's how the dude has explained it often, so I think it is.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

That's how the dude has explained it often, so I think it is.

Ah, thanks for that. For some reason I was under the weird impression that it only was being applied to the cumulative show rankings not the individual episode rankings. Must have had a brain fart.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:

I'd say mostly, as long as one is referring to the cumulative. Even the eponymous Chaos Dragon popped up a few times in the weekly. But focusing on the cumulative, leaving the bottom in the second half of the season is rare.

In Summer and Fall 2015 and Winter 2016, the Chaos Dragon was completely unchallenged in the cumulative (Chaos Dragon and then Shippuden for the latter two) though Shippuden did make a comeback in the weeklies in the 9th week of the Winter 2016 season after Jiraiya's Ninja Scrolls ended, which was too late to change its cumulative.

Spring 2016 had Ace Attorney at the bottom of the cumulative until the sixth episode, even though Big Order dominated the bottom of the weeklies by its second episode, likely due to Big Order's later premiere. And even then it was only elevated to second to last in the cumulative, though it did much better in the weeklies, peaking at 18 (out of 25) and ending at 19.

Summer 2016 had the most variety of shows in the last place cumulatively, starting with Rewrite the first two weeks, which eventually climbed to 26 (out of 30) only to slink back down to 28. Berserk then took over for two weeks, rose to second last for three weeks, went back down to last in the eighth week, and finally consolidated the second last spot in the final four weeks. One Piece took over last for Berserk those three weeks, but eventually rose to 24. Taboo Tattoo was the final Chaos Dragon for only the last four weeks, even though, by the fourth episode, Taboo Tattoo mostly dominated the bottom of the weeklies, with only One Piece 751 and TSE's 25th and Rewrite's final ranked lower in the weeklies (in the latter two's case airing the week after Taboo Tattoo had ended).

Which brings us to last season, which started with Occultic;Nine at last, until it rose to 25 (out of 27) in the seventh week, with Trickster taking over the rest of the season

In summation, there are examples of shows going into the bottom of the abyss and pulling out (Ace Attorney, Rewrite, Berserk, One Piece, and Occultic;Nine) but they never get far (no higher than seventh last and usually only second or third last by the end).

Also upon examination, Hand Shakers is actually the purest example of a Chaos Dragon, even more so than the eponymous series, since it has never been challenged for last in the weekly or cumulative rankings (so far), and, at least for the cumulative, will likely never be challenged given how consistently it has been lower than the next higher series, often by a significant margin. Hand Shakers has never rated higher than 2.6 (the most recent episode, which is not covered by the rankings yet). Akiba's Trip has never rated below 3.3, permanently at least, (the first episode) and has gone much higher on occasion. One Piece never went below 3.6 (episode 774) during this season. Classicaloid did score 2.5 in the most recent episode (what happened?) but otherwise hasn't scored below 3.5 this season. Twin Star Exorcists has never scored below 3.6 (episode 39) this season. Those are the next four higher shows in the cumulative as of this week, which means it has generally been at about an entire star (or more!) below any show that could challenge it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1