• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rurouni Kenshin Part III: The Legend Ends BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Other problems are entirely the film's own fault. While Kyoto Inferno managed to make the threat of Shishio feel tangible and urgent, his plan this time never feels particularly threatening. Shishio has one iron boat and a bunch of bandits - the most he could ever hope to do is cause some bloodshed and perhaps shake the public's faith in the Meiji government.

Making people lose faith in the government was Shishio's exact plan.

The movie and the manga's explanation of the scenario is the same: the government was concerned more about looking weak to foreign governments to go into full-scale war again, and would rather use Kenshin's power as a sacrificial offering instead (for either of their plans). The government had to delay Shishio to set up weapons that could actually down Shishio's ship, which up until this point was never in coastal areas to defend against naval armies. Shishio's ship showing was basically both to scare the populace and show how weak and lacking in unity the government was.

I actually found the manga's solving of the ship problem way less probable than in the movie, because in the movie it made SENSE. Various political and emotional statements were at play. In the manga, the only reason the ironclad went down was because Sano was carrying a comically-powerful single grenade. That's seriously the only reason
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Just wanna say the three of them sucks in many ways! Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
Alessa_SH1 wrote:
Just wanna say the three of them sucks in many ways! Mad

I take it you don't like the films at all Laughing

I would have to say there are some cases where the action is so great and grand that the limited dramatic story which normally would bring the movie down doesn't even matter. I think that is the case with the last movie in the Rurouni Kenshin Trilogy. I could say a similar franchise in that regard is John Wick.
kamui85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched the sishio arc anime and I realize they could really have adapted the story more faithfully in 2 movies. (give screen time to all the juppongatana members, kaouru and yahiko's fight etc.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Didn't they? oO The first movie was about Kanryu's drug running. Or did you mean the two movies about Shishio could've been more faithful than they were?

I've only seen the first movie way back when, but all three are sitting on the pile of shame on my BD player right now waiting for me to indulge. Smile
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Didn't they? oO The first movie was about Kanryu's drug running. Or did you mean the two movies about Shishio could've been more faithful than they were?

I've only seen the first movie way back when, but all three are sitting on the pile of shame on my BD player right now waiting for me to indulge. Smile

the first one kinda screwed up by showing saitoh before time, they didn't do the battle of misao and kaoru vs katamari, yahiko vs that flying dude, didn't show the giant, sishios battle wasnt at his hide out, they merged it with the one on his ship. saitoh didn't fight the blind dude. in the span of 2 movies they could've done it since the fight occurred simultaniously in the story line.
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

the first one kinda screwed up by showing saitoh before time, they didn't do the battle of misao and kaoru vs katamari, yahiko vs that flying dude, didn't show the giant, sishios battle wasnt at his hide out, they merged it with the one on his ship. saitoh didn't fight the blind dude. in the span of 2 movies they could've done it since the fight occurred simultaniously in the story line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1