• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Luck & Logic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
So Digibro´s thinking that anime is not good meta anymore is more true with this series. How come a series pokes fun at itself, only to end up as cliche as what they´re making fun of? This is more true with some light novel adaptations. Is there not more creative meta stuff in the anime landscape in this 2010 decade, apart from Gintama anymore?
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Trying to remember Luck & Logic and failing to do so... Which explains why I dropped it in the second or third ep back when it aired - it wasn't thrown with great force, I just kept forgetting to watch it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
My logic tells me that Mr Jensen favors shows with intriguing plots and characters, the probability of his disliking this show is hyaku percento!(100%). As one can tell, I liked this show. It looked like a real stinker at first be it became a fun pre-teen male fantasy show with a good heart. I applaud Mr. Jensen for not getting wrapped up in the fact that it was a blatant extended advert to sell the card game Bushiroad created coincident with it. Because of the show, I might have bought one at AX if the booth crowd was thinner. Maybe I Lucked out? Rolling Eyes
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
So Digibro´s thinking that anime is not good meta anymore is more true with this series. How come a series pokes fun at itself, only to end up as cliche as what they´re making fun of? This is more true with some light novel adaptations. Is there not more creative meta stuff in the anime landscape in this 2010 decade, apart from Gintama anymore?

That guy? That "Gate is crap and you can tell it from the first episode because I hate everything A-1 does" guy? That guy who's opinion is so firm and unopposed that he disabled comments for his Gate video?

That guy?

My own take on parody is that it always has to become what it satirizes in order to succeed as a parody; A horror parody has to work as a horror movie on some level in order to work. So a show that pokes fun at LN clichés itself has to use these clichés. If you don't like it, you don't like it... this response comes up a lot in horror comedies... but that's no excuse for missing the point in the first place.

I really like Luck and Logic... not "liked" from when I first saw it but when I later watched the dub which I'm still waiting for Funi to post the rest. It's nice to see in a time where every action/adventure series has to have meaning and importance and depth... AoT, I'm looking at you... there's a series that's not Tenchi related that looks around and says "Why so serious?"

Or Gintama but I stay away from that one.

Luck and Logic is silly and stupid, garish and pointless and really what we need more of these days.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
I forgot Luck & Logic existed
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could forget Luck & Logic but I reviewed it on my blog and honestly other than some neat visuals it's not really much of anything to write home about.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:

That guy? That "Gate is crap and you can tell it from the first episode because I hate everything A-1 does" guy? That guy who's opinion is so firm and unopposed that he disabled comments for his Gate video?

That guy?

My own take on parody is that it always has to become what it satirizes in order to succeed as a parody; A horror parody has to work as a horror movie on some level in order to work. So a show that pokes fun at LN clichés itself has to use these clichés. If you don't like it, you don't like it... this response comes up a lot in horror comedies... but that's no excuse for missing the point in the first place.

I really like Luck and Logic... not "liked" from when I first saw it but when I later watched the dub which I'm still waiting for Funi to post the rest. It's nice to see in a time where every action/adventure series has to have meaning and importance and depth... AoT, I'm looking at you... there's a series that's not Tenchi related that looks around and says "Why so serious?"

Or Gintama but I stay away from that one.

Luck and Logic is silly and stupid, garish and pointless and really what we need more of these days.

I mostly agree with you. There seems to be precious few shows that are allowed to take the approach Luck and Logic did. There may be criticism that is appropriate regarding the execution, but it feels like there was a time, not even all that long ago, when a show like this one would have at least garnered an invitation to watch, rather than dismissal as just being not worth the time.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
guys there are better lets have fun shows out there and many of them end up saying something in the end you know
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

That guy?

That guy who thinks introductions are pointless? Oh yeah, he said that. It might have been solely towards analysis videos but the importance of an introduction is applicable to any medium.

Sorry, just needed to vent that out. Yeah, you can totally practice what you parody. Not anime related but Deadpool (the character as a whole) does an excellent job at being a parody of a superhero while embracing its cliches. He pokes fun at and redefines heroism while playing it straight. His corrupt sense of morality works best when he is paired with another character to bounce off of. Paired with a character with positive morality (Colossus or Spider-Man), the contrast between the two is disturbing. Paired with a character with negative morality (Bullseye or Carnage), the lack of contrast is satisfying.

In the end, it all comes down to execution. Embrace what you're doing in a comedic fashion while interpreting it differently. That's how you make a parody you can practice.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
guys there are better lets have fun shows out there and many of them end up saying something in the end you know

yeah I don't quite get the whole "embrace garbage instead of wanting things to be good" mentality. it's okay to not watch everything.

L&L doesn't work as a parody because it really doesn't say anything about the boring-ass tropes it uses, just "This sure happens a lot in shows like this, doesn't it? Here it is happening in ours."
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I kinda liked it. But when there are dozens of series every season, it's hard to remember every of them. "It didn't hurt" or "Nice, I guess" series won't go too far.

Last edited by kgw on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
yeah I don't quite get the whole "embrace garbage instead of wanting things to be good" mentality.

That mentality does not exist.
What we see here is a situation where some other people think that a show is good while you think that it is garbage.
That happens all of the time. It is the result of different people having different tastes and preferences.
All that you need to accept is that those other people are not embracing garbage, they just really sincerely believe that it is not garbage.

Luck & Logic seems like a show that I might like. I might pick it up if I find a good sale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Luck & Logic isn't garbage! It just isn't good either! I have never seen an anime more perfectly hit that middling deadzone. I remember watching the first few episodes, thinking it was perfectly acceptable, and then not thinking of it again until, well, right now.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
I still can't believe they dubbed luck and logic. I could understand a simuldub but they knew what they were getting and still went through with it.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a fan of the harem genre in general. However, there are shows in that genre that just aren't good. Luck and Logic is definitely one of them. It isn't as big a train wreck as something like Hand Shakers and Ultimate Otaku Teacher. However, what it was is totally boring. I'd probably rate it maybe a 3 or 4 of 10. Even for someone who enjoys the harem tropes of the genre, everything in the series was not only done better elsewhere, it was done far better. It is worth a watch once for those that love the harem genre, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone outside of that niche. And even if you do like the genre, make sure you throw this on the pile of things to watch once the better and even average stuff has run dry. I was also amazed that Funimation bothered to dub this. I'd definitely say there were at least one or two somewhat better things they've released sub only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2