• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ToraCon's Otaku Matchmaking Parties Struggle to Find Women

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Gee, this was such a good idea, what could go wrong?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The issue may be partially due to community stereotyping regardless if some of it may or may not be accurate per case.

The biggest strikes would likely be the assumption that all the male participants are some variation of NEETs, if they do work it is part time with no real ambition (not exactly something that sells as "couple material") and of course the other assumptions that the guy is notable for being socially awkward or creepy for other reasons.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

The biggest strikes would likely be the assumption that all the male participants are some variation of NEETs, if they do work it is part time with no real ambition (not exactly something that sells as "couple material") and of course the other assumptions that the guy is notable for being socially awkward or creepy for other reasons.

Male participants have to be gainfully employed in order to register according to their rules. I have no idea how they vet this, though. Presumably, a NEET could lie about his employment and income and borrow $70 from his parents, but there might be consequences once he's caught.

What bothers me the most is the age limit on women is much lower than the men. Yeah, I know they'll probably blame nature and biological clocks...life isn't fair.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Participants must have serious interest in finding partners to marry. Bachelors must be employed and between the ages of 28 and 45. Bachelorettes do not have to be employed, but they can only be from 27 years old to their 30s. While it is seen as normal and socially acceptable for women to marry significantly older men in Japan, the same is not necessarily true for the reverse scenario.

So cougars are not accepted but gold-diggers are accepted. Learning something new everyday.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bachelorettes do not have to be employed, but they can only be from 27 years old to their 30s.

That may very well explain why ToraCon has so hard of a time attracting women to their matchmaking services. With Japan's population getting noticeably grayer every year, finding women within an age gap that tight is quite challenging.
valoon

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Quote:
Participants must have serious interest in finding partners to marry. Bachelors must be employed and between the ages of 28 and 45. Bachelorettes do not have to be employed, but they can only be from 27 years old to their 30s. While it is seen as normal and socially acceptable for women to marry significantly older men in Japan, the same is not necessarily true for the reverse scenario.

So cougars are not accepted but gold-diggers are accepted. Learning something new everyday.

That is quite sad :/
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:31 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget that women are also quite demanding. We expect to go out with someone that won't be a burden. I myself wouldn't want to date a guy who'd rather watch anime and think that 2D girls are better than me. Been there, dumped that.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
In all my years of anime fandom, the hardcore anime fans I've met always seemed to have... issues. The guys could be socially awkward shut-ins afraid of confrontation, or the girls are outlandishly shallow shippers. And in both groups, there are people who just have weird psychological and social interaction problems. Particularly in the modern day, otaku anime feels like escapist entertainment specifically from relationships, which I think feeds into the problem, and bolsters unrealistic expectations and ideals for the viewership. Real women aren't 1-dimensional, tepid, demure, childishly cute "creatures" that you can raise like a pet. And men aren't all tall, handsome, sensitive, lithe, ridiculously handsome models either. Otaku anime is becoming more and more like the romance novel section of the bookstore, and I can't help but wonder how much a negative feedback loop is keeping fans increasingly attached to their surrogate "partners" (i.e. anime waifus and husbandos).
manapear

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they got any women to sign up, if it's a Toranoana related service. I love using the site, but it also bothers me how they group/gender things. Princess side equals BL to them, even though a good deal of their female artists have hetero material. On the Princess side. But they never want to advertise that, especially in comparison to how they treat the "normal" side.

I can imagine that the way they advertise stuff also just wouldn't be attracting the kind of women that want to get married. If you're encouraging women (fujoshi) to throw their wallets at BL, knowing how society (and even male otaku tend to) view them, why would they want to sign up for the event, no less feel the need to.

It is a shame about the age part though. In plenty of societies, it is frowned on both parties that a younger man be dating an older woman, but more so on her. (Which is ironic since it's a thing, less so now, that guys score with an older woman when they're high school to college age.)

It would have been better to still let slightly older women apply, since they could at least be with a man their age. They'd probably have filled up faster.
Izu0

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
It's 2017 and this stills happening

Women can't marry a younger man.
Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:

I can imagine that the way they advertise stuff also just wouldn't be attracting the kind of women that want to get married. If you're encouraging women (fujoshi) to throw their wallets at BL, knowing how society (and even male otaku tend to) view them, why would they want to sign up for the event, no less feel the need to.

What I find ironic is that male otaku mocking fujoshi for liking BL while they read yuri/hentai/lolicon doujinshi. You can find many men draw hentai doujinshi where strong female characters get molested. "Women ship two male together? Ew.... gross. So OOC. They're ruining the show! I better read hentai/lolicon doujinshi to purify my eyes" *eye-rolling*
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
That would be interesting if a LN author read this story and made a series based on this concept. Of course, the con name would be changed. The LN author would even acknowledge in the 1st volume they were inspired by this very article.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Okay, so if they really want otaku to marry, they should start by offering them social skills classes and group therapy...that's actually a great idea!

That comment about "no cougars allowed, golddiggers ok"--golddiggers are actually encouraged when they say women don't need to be working to come to an event where every man has (supposedly) been vetted as having a full time job. That's even more messed up...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1