• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Megazone 23 Anime's Crowdfunding for Promo Video Reaches Goal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I was kinda hoping the designs for a new Megazone 23 anime would be more throwback 1980s Haruhiko Mikimoto style (or just bring back Mikimoto) although I suppose the modernized designs would be easier to market to modern fans.

Anyway, the buried lede for me is that there's going to be another Pretty Sammy anime? That's the first I've heard about it. Assuming it's yet another reboot and not a continuation, that'd be, what, the 4th major Pretty Sammy continuity? I'm not even counting the other versions of the character that show up in various Tenchi Muyo continuities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Anyway, the buried lede for me is that there's going to be another Pretty Sammy anime? That's the first I've heard about it. Assuming it's yet another reboot and not a continuation, that'd be, what, the 4th major Pretty Sammy continuity? I'm not even counting the other versions of the character that show up in various Tenchi Muyo continuities.

When AIC first revealed Sasami 14 (tentative title) in February, it described the project as a Pretty Sammy sequel.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-21/aic-ad-new-megazone-23-pretty-sammy-projects-in-the-works/.112515
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Amazed that the Kickstarter reached its goal! Surprised I'm ecstatic that New Megazone 23 has a chance of being a reality.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder if HG is going to get their grubby hands on this title and twist it into Robotech like they did with splicing Megaroad 23 into the Robotech movie?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
It's nice that they kept the same, or at least a very similar, art style to the original.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
BD is pronounced "Brad?" Since when?!
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Megazone 23 should I look it I love Mecha but since it seems to have many Megazone 23 entries which one I need to watch first?
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I have worries. The original is a classic and is an 80's capsule with all its real world mainstream pop culture references. The 80's had a lot to offer in terms of entertainment. What can our current BS generation offer by comparison that's worthy of referencing and glorifying, Lady Gaga? (I wrote her real name in my Death Note)
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I wonder if HG is going to get their grubby hands on this title and twist it into Robotech like they did with splicing Megaroad 23 into the Robotech movie?
I doubt that they will because Robotech The Movie was a major flop in the U.S. and Harmony Gold has long since abandoned it as canon and I'm pretty sure they don't have the rights to it anymore. I'm curious to check this out but I really only had interest in the first episode of the original OVAs as I didn't like how they seemed to radically change the character designs in Part 2 and made Part 2 more of a standard action gore fest than the thoughtful sci-fi flick Part 1 was. I just hope this is going to turn out to be better than Under The Dog turned out. I'm also cautiously interested in more Pretty Sammy as Magical Project S was always one of my favorite parts of the Tenchi franchise. I just hope they tone down the moefied designs this time from what they did with Sasami Magical Girl Club. I enjoyed it more than most fans did but I can see why the art style was a turn off for a lot of fans and I'd like to see them use a style closer to what they're using for OVA4.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
When AIC first revealed Sasami 14 (tentative title) in February, it described the project as a Pretty Sammy sequel.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-21/aic-ad-new-megazone-23-pretty-sammy-projects-in-the-works/.112515

Oh, I missed that. Thanks.

It doesn't seem to say whether it's the original Pretty Sammy OVA continuity or the TV series continuity (a.k.a. "Magical Project S"). I suspect it's the OVA continuity though I'm kind of hoping it's the TV series continuity which had fewer, ahem, "questionable" elements than the OVAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Psajdak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Please, new BBC.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
^ Don't you mean "BGC" (as in Bubblegum Crisis) or is BBC an acronym for something besides "British Broadcasting Corporation" (okay, I know something else "BBC" is short for, besides "British-born Canadian", but I'd better not write it here).
Psajdak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, BGC.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
Considering it will be the 4th series, was "Megazone 23 Part IV" not cool enough?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1